Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 17:10   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New to Living Aboard and Being Pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansmith View Post
Sorry we are in Norfolk va right now and depending on what life choice we decide to do will determine where we end up. My husband is military and he still needs to decide if he will stay in or not but our plans are to end up in Florida. Our boat now is at a marina in Hampton va.

Right now we are looking at getting a 45' Morgan 452 ketch. We still have yet to go look at it since it's down in Florida but by the looks of it, It looks like something for us. I'll have to look up an eagle. Thanks for your input.
We are in Florida now, but we pass through the Hampton Roads area twice a year on our Morgan Ketch. You may be leaning into our path. We spend much time in the area of NAS JAX. Please feel free to post here or contact via a private message regarding marina opportunities if you expect to be in the Naval surroundings of Jacksonville.
Old 07-01-2014, 17:31   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
We have looked at powerboat and I will say I'm in love with them. Anyone could find enough room in them to live. We thought about getting one simply because of the room it has but we also know that if we would do a powerboat we won't be able to travel much. Having a sailboat would give us the ability to travel more due to costs. We have said if we are going to live on a boat we want the whole experience! Traveling and all! Def don't want to live tied up to a dock just so we can say we live on a boat. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

That's a great idea with setting up emergency equipment around the boat for easy access. I will def do that! Thanks!

I am a wannabe, but have done a little homework. IF you want to primarily live aboard in a Marina and relocate seasonable to be always in good weather, but not be a world traveler. I'm not sure a big ole trawler is any more expensive than a sailboat, but probably way more comfortable to live on and raise a family.
Now if you wanna be a world traveler circumanvigating, of course that's different
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 17:54   #33

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I hate kids, heck I did not like children when I WAS one....

... That said, the most polite, intelligent and just all over interesting children I have ever met were those raised as cruisers kids. I can not imagine a better gift then to figure out how to do what you propose.
Life is short, live it!

Words you will never hear me say here again... Consider a catamaran. Something like a Gemini might be had without breaking the bank, more space to spread out and less rocking for a pregnant lady to have to deal with....

There I said it. I will deny it if it ever comes up!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 18:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
We are in Florida now, but we pass through the Hampton Roads area twice a year on our Morgan Ketch. You may be leaning into our path. We spend much time in the area of NAS JAX. Please feel free to post here or contact via a private message regarding marina opportunities if you expect to be in the Naval surroundings of Jacksonville.

Do you really like your Morgan? With living on it and how it handles in water? We really like the one we seen and are hoping it's the one for us! What size do you have? My husband has family in Merritt Island and in Palm Bay. He really likes the area around there but I've only been to Florida once. I loved it there though. Where we would go in Florida I'm not sure.
Ansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 19:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I am a wannabe, but have done a little homework. IF you want to primarily live aboard in a Marina and relocate seasonable to be always in good weather, but not be a world traveler. I'm not sure a big ole trawler is any more expensive than a sailboat, but probably way more comfortable to live on and raise a family.
Now if you wanna be a world traveler circumanvigating, of course that's different

Our plan is to be world travelers but we have a long way to go to being able to do it. I'm very new to this and my husband is fairly new to it as well. So getting our feet wet before traveling far is very important to me!
Old 07-01-2014, 19:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
I hate kids, heck I did not like children when I WAS one....

... That said, the most polite, intelligent and just all over interesting children I have ever met were those raised as cruisers kids. I can not imagine a better gift then to figure out how to do what you propose.
Life is short, live it!

Words you will never hear me say here again... Consider a catamaran. Something like a Gemini might be had without breaking the bank, more space to spread out and less rocking for a pregnant lady to have to deal with....

There I said it. I will deny it if it ever comes up!

I take it you don't like cats? Haha we were looking at them and we loved them for the space but the cost of the boat is the issue. We could afford a boat that price but since this is our first time wanting to live on a boat we don't want to throw thousands into it and end up on our faces if we would have to move back to land. Trying to think of any possible thing that could happen. We can't prepare for it all but the big things are always good think about!

I'm happy to hear you think that cursing kids are the most interesting! I loved the idea of our kid growing up as the ocean being their backyard. Seeing the wild life and loving the water as much as we do. I'd assume they wouldn't grow up being greedy either since there isn't much room on the boat they would have to learn they can only keep and get so much.
Old 07-01-2014, 21:06   #37

Re: New to living aboard and being pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Just do it
All of it
This is your only time around in this life...
You will figure it out
Happy New Year and good luck

X2
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 21:28   #38

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Windtraveler.net is also a good blog for babies on board. She is currently pregnant with twins so because it is a high risk pregnancy they moved onto land for the time being, but already have a young daughter and have been cruising with her in the Caribbean for the last year or so.

Personally I think it would be best to adjust to living on a boat before having a baby, that way you'll have all the boats systems down and won't have to fuss over where to put stuff and what not. I think having a baby on board is going to be amazing for the baby and wish you the best of luck!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Windtraveler.net is also a good blog for babies on board. She is currently pregnant with twins so because it is a high risk pregnancy they moved onto land for the time being, but already have a young daughter and have been cruising with her in the Caribbean for the last year or so.

Personally I think it would be best to adjust to living on a boat before having a baby, that way you'll have all the boats systems down and won't have to fuss over where to put stuff and what not. I think having a baby on board is going to be amazing for the baby and wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for the info! I'll check it out. Yea our plans are to get the boat first.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:21   #40

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Our plan is to be world travelers but we have a long way to go to being able to do it. I'm very new to this and my husband is fairly new to it as well. So getting our feet wet before traveling far is very important to me!

Most boasters believe/think that motor/power boat uses a lot of fuel compared to a sail boat, which is not necessarily true. Sail boats tend to motor more than people think, and the cost of fuel is as small % of the totals cost of owning/operating a boat. In general #1 is moorage, #2 is maintenance repair, #3 is insurance, and #4 is fuel.

When comparing motor vs sail a more fairer comparison is a full displacement motor and a full displacement sail boat. Not much energy/fuel is required to move a boat through the water at its hull speed. Square root of the length. Example is our boat the Eagle is a full displacement trawler, 58 ft, 40+ tons, powered by a single DD 671 – 165 hp. At hull speed, 7 knots we use 2 to 3 gallons per hour and it’s a big boat. Yes it could cross oceans but we have in intentions of doing that.

Furthermore, the average boater use the boat under 100 hour per year, and as mentioned before sail boat do motor a % of the time. Average over 15 years we have average around 50 hours per year cruising, but we live on it full time. Very small %. So the Eagle cruises a 7 knots for 100 hours that is 300 gallons. Compared to a sail boat that motor at ?% of the time. In the Puget Sound I would say at least 50%, so 150 gallons at $4.00/gallon is $600.00/year more. Compared to about $10,000/year owner ship cost or 5%.

So the question is how many hour are you going to use the boat, what % of the time going to be motoring compared to the total cost of owning, and is that increased cost/% worth having more live aboard room and comfort. I think when you really do the math its not that much.

A large % of newbee boaters say they are going to cruise the world, which in reality less than 1% actually do. So the question is what size and capable boat does a person really need? A capable heavy blue water boat, motor or sale, will cost a lot more than 90% of the boats. Again a very small %, 1% of boat are heavy blue water capable. Where as a large % are coastal cruising capable.

Anyway keep an open mind and evaluate what your real expectations and goals are.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Do you really like your Morgan? With living on it and how it handles in water? We really like the one we seen and are hoping it's the one for us! What size do you have? ................
We have the Morgan Out Island 41' (Morgan design) and I believe that the 45' you are looking at would be the Henry Scheel designed Morgan. Most of those that own these vessels, Out Island or Scheel, seem to be pleased with them. They are, of course, heavier cruising boats and not good performers in light wind. I've heard of some complaints with their maneuverability, but they are usually voiced from those that are accustomed to operating a fin keel boat and they never developed the skills for piloting a longer keel,- particularly backing or turning in tight quarters. I've been living on my Morgans since 1973, so I must be pleased! Our two children did very well growing up on board.
Old 17-01-2014, 06:41   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quick correction; Scheel designed the Morgan 46, the 45 was a Charlie Morgan design. Both are nice boats but the 46 is a much larger liveaboard. That said if I were living in a marina most of the time with a family I'd opt for a larger, used motor yacht. Yes, they burn more fuel, but cost MUCH less these days than sailboats and trawlers of the same vintage for that reason. And if I'm living aboard and not full time cruising the fuel costs won't be as much as the price difference. Different strokes…
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 12:19   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quick correction; Scheel designed the Morgan 46, the 45 was a Charlie Morgan design................
Right! Henry Scheel designed it as a 45' and Morgan built it as a "461" & "462". Maybe the 45' Mogan they are looking at is the Nelson Marek design.

It's a good point that you make regarding a selection for a boat that is not intended to be cruised. It's never a plan that I would consider, but I have met numerous people who live aboard boats that don't move.
Old 19-01-2014, 04:46   #44

Quote:
Quick correction; Scheel designed the Morgan 46, the 45 was a Charlie Morgan design. Both are nice boats but the 46 is a much larger liveaboard. That said if I were living in a marina most of the time with a family I'd opt for a larger, used motor yacht. Yes, they burn more fuel, but cost MUCH less these days than sailboats and trawlers of the same vintage for that reason. And if I'm living aboard and not full time cruising the fuel costs won't be as much as the price difference. Different strokes…

I get what you're saying and I do agree that a yacht would be more roomy. It's really a hard decision. I know we won't be cruising out far for a while exp for day or weekend trips but it know later on we want to go far but have extra room would be nice too.
Old 19-01-2014, 04:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Right! Henry Scheel designed it as a 45' and Morgan built it as a "461" & "462". Maybe the 45' Mogan they are looking at is the Nelson Marek design.

It was at 1978 Morgan 452 Ketch. Sadly I just seen that it was sold. : ( so we will have to continue our hunt for a boat that's right for us. I really liked the set up of the hunters but we heard that they aren't as good for long distances? Would you suggest any type of boat for us to check out?

Tags
living aboard