Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 16:00   #16

Re: New Here (Aspiring Liveaboard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'd suggest getting out and sailing before you go too far into this. You could get on a boat and turn green the second you set foot on it.
If I can't get over it, I'm not a survivor. Quite frankly, I wont accept any less of myself.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:03   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
If I can't get over it, I'm not a survivor. Quite frankly, I wont accept any less of myself.
There are some things you can't get over. No matter how much someone wants to get over a peanut allergy, eating peanuts every day isn't going to help.

You may very well be fine, but why not try it out? If you did find it didn't appeal as much as you thought, you could certainly be a nomad on land.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 18:02   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.............I will be by the time I get a boat, but I will say that I'll be on the east coast (USA), and I'll want to sail where living expenses are cheap.
Well, this makes things pretty clear. We cruise regularly from Maine to the Bahamas and we know cheap! Your best prices will be from the Chesapeake to North Florida at the Cape Canaveral area and omitting Georgia where regulations do not permit living aboard. Within this range you can still find a great variety of costs. Rural areas will often cost less and "resort" areas, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc will cost far more with nothing more to offer. It would probably be best to locate in an area that offers anytime protected sailing areas with bays, wide rivers or sounds that allow sailing close to your slip and without harsh currents. Some places just don't make since, like my hometown of Fort Lauderdale, - a huge boating center, but absolutely no place to go boating unless you head offshore or plan to tour the canals. I'd look at the southern Chesapeake, the Carolina sounds (Albemarle, Pamlico, Neuse River), Florida's St. John's River or Indian River. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 13-07-2011, 20:34   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker

Sounds like we are similar in our desires at this point! I'm looking for a simpler life as well, and you will (and already have obviously) find that there is a wealth of information and advice out there. I've been reading as well, but I really think that getting on a boat, and around boats is a great start. I just went to my first class today (it was a classroom class). But even though the class was inside, we got to see some boats, get on a couple boats on the hard, and really look around. You definitely get a different perspective up close. As I imagine I will have some additional thoughts and feelings after the on the water class Saturday. I guess just get out there and try it!

I too want to be semi self-sufficient, and am an IT guy that can do stuff from numerous places. And my budget is basically in your same range. So I can feel your pain. And I understand your dream! Don't be discouraged by some of the advice, but also understand that it is advice that comes from experience, and it could be helpful!

Good luck on getting there!
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 05:35   #20

Keep in mind that a boat isn't any more of a simpler life than you could have on land.

we just bought a small home in Vermont and I expect the home will be simpler in what it needs than our boat when we start cruising.

I'm not trying to talk you out of living aboard, just pointing out it's not the only way to simplify if that's your main goal.
Old 14-07-2011, 09:07   #21

Quote:
Keep in mind that a boat isn't any more of a simpler life than you could have on land.

we just bought a small home in Vermont and I expect the home will be simpler in what it needs than our boat when we start cruising.

I'm not trying to talk you out of living aboard, just pointing out it's not the only way to simplify if that's your main goal.
Simple is a relative term. I am going to exchange a life riddled with "complications" I particularly don't want to deal with, for a life at sea with "complications" I am more easily able to handle.
Old 14-07-2011, 09:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtucker View Post
Sounds like we are similar in our desires at this point! I'm looking for a simpler life as well, and you will (and already have obviously) find that there is a wealth of information and advice out there. I've been reading as well, but I really think that getting on a boat, and around boats is a great start. I just went to my first class today (it was a classroom class). But even though the class was inside, we got to see some boats, get on a couple boats on the hard, and really look around. You definitely get a different perspective up close. As I imagine I will have some additional thoughts and feelings after the on the water class Saturday. I guess just get out there and try it!

I too want to be semi self-sufficient, and am an IT guy that can do stuff from numerous places. And my budget is basically in your same range. So I can feel your pain. And I understand your dream! Don't be discouraged by some of the advice, but also understand that it is advice that comes from experience, and it could be helpful!

Good luck on getting there!
Nice to see someone with a similar passion. I look forward to how you achieve your goals. Keep up the blog.
Old 14-07-2011, 09:26   #23

Boat: Islander 34

you might check out my blog as well, in my .sig - sounds like we're coming from very similar places. I ended up spending about double your budget, and at least twice that again over the past three years, along with *thousands* of hours of work - but I'm nearing completion now and will be headed offshore later this year.
Old 14-08-2011, 12:28   #24

Quote:
There are some things you can't get over. No matter how much someone wants to get over a peanut allergy, eating peanuts every day isn't going to help.
There are some things you can't get over, sea-sickness seems to be one of them, at least in theory in your head.
Old 14-08-2011, 13:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz

There are some things you can't get over, sea-sickness seems to be one of them, at least in theory in your head.
For your sake, I hope when you get out there and do some sailing, that you don't get sea sick at all or it's at least not so bad you can't deal with it.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are people who are unable to be on the water due to sea sickness being a problem for them.
Old 14-08-2011, 13:51   #26

Quote:
For your sake, I hope when you get out there and do some sailing, that you don't get sea sick at all or it's at least not so bad you can't deal with it.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are people who are unable to be on the water due to sea sickness being a problem for them.
I don't deny sea-sickness. I understand it's a real problem. What I don't believe/accept is that after a while, you can't get over it.
Old 14-08-2011, 13:53   #27

Quote:
Well, I got over dating beautiful women that way, I had that trouble for years and the affliction finally went away in time.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:27   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
I don't deny sea-sickness. I understand it's a real problem. What I don't believe/accept is that after a while, you can't get over it.
Sure, you're right. Though I do not have issues with sea sickness, it has been a battle for my wife. She has developed some skills with diet and behavior that allow her to continue our life aboard and now in our fortieth year of sailing; however, that's still not a reason for you to discount the pursuit of developing some sailing skills before moving aboard a sailboat. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 14-08-2011, 14:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Well, I got over dating beautiful women that way, I had that trouble for years and the affliction finally went away in time.
Those women were indeed beautiful... in theory
Old 14-08-2011, 15:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
that's still not a reason for you to discount the pursuit of developing some sailing skills before moving aboard a sailboat.
This is what I believe.

Tags
liveaboard