Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 18:10   #46

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Thanks everyone for thoughts and advice. At this point it is a knowledge and financial issue. I would never think to get the boat perfect, you're right, it'll never happen. It's just getting to a point where I would feel comfortable taking it offshore, if even to follow the coast south. Then there is this small fear of the unknown in the back of my head. I know it's part of the battle going on inside my head, but in order to survive, I've built a comfort zone around me to protect myself and others. My fear is, when the boat's ready to go, will I be ready to step out of my bubble I've created. It's been 4 years since I've stepped out to where my safety net or safe zone wasn't within reach. What makes it worse is that I don't know if it would bother me at all to go out and face stressful situations and crisis. I used to literally thrive in those situations, but after I got back, it used to send me into borderline panic attacks. It was only my will and talking my way through it that I didn't have a full blown one. So hnce my bubble of serenity I created. Well enough of my mental issues, right now it's boat issues I need to worry about. So upward and onward.

Oh, forgot to mention, this Tueday, 15Sep, I'm taking the 3 exams for the Ham license and hopefully walk away with an Amateur Extra license.

Talk to ya soon.

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 18:47   #47

Finish one job at a time. Ie: finish the wiring before you start the plumbing.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 18:56   #48

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Seriously, cruising is not free! You need to take care of the financial issues first while working on the boat. With such a small boat you can get away with anchoring in a lot of places where others must take a marina. Figure $500 to $1k a month to live aboard - on the hook - assuming no hull or liability insurance on the boat. While inside the USA you can get odd jobs along the way and pay for most of your costs.
- - Do not go offshore until you have a year or two under your sailing belt. The idea is to not scare yourself until you are comfortable and confident in what the boat and what you can handle. From Connecticut you can stay close to the shoreline all the way to New York City and then across the Bay to Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey. New Jersey actually has a -sort of - intracoastal waterway. But first you have a 20 nm outside run to Shark River. You just wait for really good weather before doing it.
- - From Shark River it is only 6 nm to Manasquan Inlet and from there you can run inside on the NJ Intracoastal waterway all the way to Atlantic City and further on down to Cape May and into the Delaware River. From there it is all inside all the way to Florida and the Florida Keys. There is no need to go outside until you are really ready. You will get plenty of wind and waves experience in the Delaware, Chesapeake and North Carolina - - if you want to. You can always just wait for nice calm or mild days before heading to the next place.
- - You are talking a lifetime level experience meeting a whole different kind of people and villages along the way. Caring and helpful people. And unbelievable great places to visit, explore and even pick up work. All the while living on your little floating fortress. If you do it right it might 2 to 4 years or more to get to Florida. By that time you and the Triton will be "one" and ready for some offshore to the Bahamas. After that the world is your "oyster" (well, maybe "conch" when you get down this way).
- - For that size boat I would suggest you consider removing the inboard engine, especially if it is the original Atomic-4; plugging the shaft hole and then adding a tilting outboard motor bracket to the transom. Hang a 15HP or slightly larger outboard on it. This eliminates a whole raft of problems and costs inherent in inboard motors. Solar Panels and a little Honda portable EU1000 generator will keep your batteries up and supply what little electrical power you will need.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 19:13   #49
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
^^^ Good advice, don't psych yourself out or you'll never go. Stay in the ICW and putter your way down south. It'll get your "feet wet".
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 19:32   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - I would suggest lengthening S&S's last sentence to "It'll get your "feet wet"" and restore your soul, heal your faith in people and realize that kind and caring people really do exist.
- - Post note: the first 20 nm after rounding Sandy Hook on the way to the Shark River it going to be the most difficult, especially if run close to shore in the summer time. Sandy Hook National Park beach is the largest "naturist" beach (i.e., no clothes) in the eastern USA. Thousands of young men and women frequent the beach in the summer. It will a real test of seamanship to maintain a straight course south. [Just trying to "boost the motivation factor for a young man to get out there.]
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 19:33   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Lots of marinas for retired Military. The key word would be "south" it's where all the facilities are. You just won't find more expensive boat storage and slips than New England (except southern California). Once you get down to Virgina you can start finding cheaper facilities with a longer working season than you can where you are now.

Focusing on what it takes to get her moving can help. You need a serious dose of sailing on the water to rejuvenate yourself. It's what gets me going when I've been working projects too long. Getting back to what it's all about always helps me. Maybe it's just finding a friend with a boat for a few doses of medicine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 05:53   #52

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Get it south now, you have about 3 days before it snows and the SADS kicks in. Also you can buy a cheap used mobilehome/camper in fla for about 3k to 5k with a lot fee of 250 to 500 a month if you want to live on the cheap. Gives you a place to rebuild and store stuff. I figured worst case it would be like a base of operations and storage while im on the boat.

Or the other option was to buy a used school bus(abt 2500)and put a shop in the back and a bed in the front. Cut a hole in the roof and back it up next to the boat while on the hard for easier access. The roof of the bus is pretty close to the deck of the boat. better than climbing a ladder.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 08:18   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
How are you making out with the Atomic Four?? If it's toast, there is a Yanmar single cylinder diesel complete with trans. and intrument panel at Blue Pelican Marine here in Alameda, CA. It's a low hour engine that back flooded and was replaced. The mechanic who took it out rebuilt it so it's in like new condition. Believe they are asking $1,800 for it. It would be a good engine for your boat and physically smaller than your A4. Shouldn't cost all that much to ship to the East Coast. Just a thought.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 13:49   #54

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
TritonSailor, keep it up and best of luck! Sometimes you just have to call it a day try again later. The finished product is worth it tho...
Old 24-12-2009, 03:59   #55

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
There's some sense in living aboard, most of the boats around you will be worked on, their a good crowd for advice, support, techniques, best shops etc. You've learnt that.
And you can get rid, or rent the home base. Cutting that line that keeps taking you ashore.
Chap next to me has an old lifeboat conversion that he's rebuilt this year from waterline up.
It looks beautiful, for a motor boat, and shows what can be done. he's not a hard worker, just patient, uses power tools when ever, and lots of resin. His real strength is knowing what he's doing. If you can find one of them you work will become easier.
He'll be down the french canals heading south next year. I may well be in Portugal, on my boat, for a few months each year.
But there's a price, largely getting up each day and going to work, for it is work. Just stick at it. You will be sea borne, smiling quietly, feeling the wind, judging course, sail set, and smiling a bit broader. It's great out there on cold, lumpy wet days. Then the sun comes out, the wind shifts and life is beautiful.
Old 24-12-2009, 07:02   #56

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Hey, Triton, Happy Christmas! You know we're all right alongsisde you. If I was anywhere near you I'd be proud to get down there and help you physically. But, you do have a lot of people here wishing you on.

Ten years ago, I was deep in the restoration of a 28 foot wooden sail boat, replacing parts of the hull, keel and topsides, working on my own in a boatyard, living aboard amongst it all and smack up against the truth that you pretty much always underestimate how long it's all going to take and how much there is to do. I was a novice in many ways even though I'd built dinghies and stuff. I haven't been through what you have, but still had to struggle with keeping going, scraping money together, spending ages on finding the least expensive ways to satisfactorily do things, learn how to do my own wiring properly etc etc etc. Mind you, there were some crazy moments that provided light relief - another guy restoring a 35 footer was a pianist and he built in an old upright piano into his saloon...
So, finally, over the course of two days I jacked up the boat and winched an old bomb carrier trailer underneath her because the yard fee for putting it on was out of reach and as she was under a lean-to roof we couldn't get a crane lift. She was a long keel, so it was jack-up, winch trailer a couple of feet, set down, move jacks and supports and repeat. But launch day...now that was great. All the little niggles edging her round walls and obstructions as the tractor pulled her toward the water didn't matter a damn, talk about big smiley face, it was great, after all that down and struggle and climbing over problem after problem and still getting hit with a couple of lulus that made me think 'Well, that's it, can't see a way round that one, that's me stuffed then' after all that, here we were, my boat and me heading for the water at 3 mph. So, everything's ready, we back down the slip, gently gently into the river, get the engine water intake under water, start the engine ready, further in she starts to lift, we're off the trailer! Yay! Engage astern - and power forward straight into the trailer...engine control was arse about face. No damage to anything other than my reputation fortunately. The boat and I did sail away and we did have some great times. There are so many deeply satisfying experiences out on the water, that I don't think can be found any other way, not exactly. Coming through a difficult passage and then anchoring in a peaceful creek with no buildings in sight, no rumble of traffic, just the deep lucid green water, fish, birds and quiet. Can't be beat, not nohow in my book.

So, the very best to you, have a great 2010,
Steve
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 06:05   #57

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Oh, just a follow-up. I'm a newbie on this forum as well so hadn't read a thread here in the liveaboards section titled 'What was your epiphany'. It's a really great collection of people telling how they got the inspiration to go and how they got there in the end. Really recommend you have a read there...

All the best for New Year

Steve
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 06:31   #58

Boat: pearson invicta mk2
Hang in there, Jeff. It does get better...especially when you make it back in the water. I think we (sailors) all have had this issue, the daunting challange of a restoration. And yes, using small tasks to break up the job as a whole will help keep your momentum up where it needs to be. perserverance furthers! Good Luck, cap'n!
nico105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 17:24   #59

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
The VA takes mental issues much more seriously than they used to. I've been out since 1971 and basically didn't use the VA until lately. Take F-U-L-L advantage of VA . . . you earned it.

If you want, go to one of the VA clinics and ask to see one of the Psycs. I wouldn't hurt and it might help you climb a little closer to the top of the hole.

Thank God VA is not what it used to be.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 20:06   #60

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Yep an update would be good...Don't leave us hanging thinking the worst.

Hope all is well with you.

"Life...Its a test only a test"...somebody said that anyway.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote