Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 01:38   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
If you are retired military or even medically retired remember that there are quite a few MWR marinas around where inexpensive moorings can be found. I forgot to say thanks for serving. Your service to your country is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Old 16-08-2009, 07:02   #32

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
My task list is extensive, but to start with, I need to finish fairing and filling the bottom. I want to "rebuy" four gallons of Interprotect 2000E and then figure what I'm going to use for bottom paint. The other major item is getting the Atomic 4 running. Access to it is difficult, especially for me because I'm a big guy. I think I'm actually go see the boat today as we speak, first time in 3 month's. The mast is not up yet so that's another thing. Well I will update everyone with pictures when I get back. Thanks to everyone for lighting a fire under my ass. I might need it to be relit a couple of times, but I know you guy's and gal's will be there to light it.

regards

Jeff
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:04   #33

Boat: Skookum 53'
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your service to us. When I found this forum, it helped relight my enthusiasm. I can tell you that the bottom work can be the most daunting. I can also tell you that it will seem like you are making very little progress and then all of a sudden, it is time to roll the bottom paint and put the new zincs on. For me it helps to let my mind think about the sailing and places I want to go while working on those tedious tasks. Your priorities are good, take care of the submerged part whilst on the hard, once you get that lined out, the other projects will seem like a breeze and you can whittle them down into smaller bites. Make your next project something small and simple, that will give you a sense of accomplishment. Just scrubbing down the boat after she is in the water will give you a sense of belonging to the vessel and help you bond with her. We all get tired from time to time, but the rewards are great, and nothing beats a life at sea. Keep the faith, this too shall pass.
Old 16-08-2009, 09:38   #34

Well I went out to the boat, they had moved it a little, so I lost the bolts that tie the pintle to the rudder. I saw my big 245 amp power tec AGM battery in the cockpit and it reminded me that the electrical needs to be redone before splash as well. We will see how much intestinal fortitude I have when winter comes and work needs to be done. I posted some pictures as well.

Jeff
Old 16-08-2009, 10:09   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post
My task list is extensive, but to start with, I need to finish fairing and filling the bottom. I want to "rebuy" four gallons of Interprotect 2000E and then figure what I'm going to use for bottom paint. The other major item is getting the Atomic 4 running. Access to it is difficult, especially for me because I'm a big guy. I think I'm actually go see the boat today as we speak, first time in 3 month's. The mast is not up yet so that's another thing. Well I will update everyone with pictures when I get back. Thanks to everyone for lighting a fire under my ass. I might need it to be relit a couple of times, but I know you guy's and gal's will be there to light it.

regards

Jeff
hay--ye gotta get the work done so ye kin meet up with us in the caribean !!!!!! the water is gorgeous there!!!! and reprovisioning is not expensive in many of the places in usvi.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 16:24   #36

Hey Everyone,

I don't know if anyone knew this, but this is motivating. You can get a mooring ball on the Florida Keys in Marathon for 265.00/month. I would consider a dock for 14.50/ft a month but I don't know how much liability for 300,000 would cost. I guess they require it to dock there. Here's their website:

The City of Marathon FL - Official Website
Old 08-09-2009, 19:09   #37

if there is a high school around, or a junior college or kids sailing club, hire a couple of kids to do the simple stuff. being an employer is a pain in the butt, especially if the kids don't perform as expected, but some clear goals and your expectations spelled out should allow all but the thickest kids the chance to get something done for you.
mrcottonsparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Considering your physical "injuries" and psychological "injuries" by your wife/partner's departure. The best medicine in the world is to get out spend time underneath and inside the boat doing the work that needs to be done. I know all about the psych "injuries" - been there 3 times and it is a heavy blow to your mind. But after about an hour underneath the boat concentrating on the patching and painting you will get lost in the "work" and other thoughts of the world temporarily disappear. Concentrating on the boat work takes all your mental energy and gives you a "break" from other worries - a mini-mental-vacation.
- - If you can find or borrow a little dinghy sailor rigged so you can use it, spend some hours out of the water wrestling with the sailboat trying to get the best speed and performance. Basically it is all about getting your mind disengaged from the various problems and catastrophes in your life for a short time and getting back in touch with what "wind and waves" and your own muscles and mind - sort of back in sync with Mother Nature.
- - Optimum would be to be able to sail away into the sunset and along the way you will meet new friends who are so much more tuned into the reality of life, love and the environment versus all the petty problems and nuisances of land-living. It is a cleansing and rejuvenating experience. As others have said, let that "goal" drive you on to finishing the boat - so - you can sail away.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36   #39

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
TritonSailor, get the boat watertight and float her and sail her, DO NOT wait until she is perfect. That will never happen. As you sail her, your mind will sort itself out and categorize what needs to be done. As you sail, and sail you must, your motivation will ebb and flow but your dream will never die.

In our case, we bought a smelly, decrepit boat, sailed the snot out of her the first season, then repaired, faired and painted the hull and deck head over the winter and launched her in the spring. After that it was do one small job the go for a sail! Yesterday we just brought the galley table up from our basement and installed it! (We ate off the slide out cutting board).There are still little bits of trim to install etc.

So sail, sail, sail, do a bit of work and enjoy yourself. BTW, the worst thing you can possibly do to your ex is to genuinely enjoy life without her. It will eat her up!

Good luck to you.....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27   #40

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
When I bought our boat she was in a military marina near Norfolk. It's a military marina on Old Hospital Point and was pretty cheap, I think. I say I think because the PO was retired military and they wouldn't let me stay for even a week. Nice facility, good climate. Not as cold as CT in the winter and a great jumping off point for the ICW south. If I can find more details I'll post again.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44   #41

It's a bitch getting old. The place I was thinking of is the Old Point Comfort Marina in Fort Monroe, VA. Link is

Marina

It sounds like a natural. Monthly rate $5 per foot including water and power. Right on the military base and has a yacht club with mostly military, active and retired, right across the street. $30 per year for the yacht club. Built in support group. Even a nearby military hospital. The only hook is that they don't allow live aboards. I don't know how strict that rule is but it's worth a try.

Best of luck. Thank you for your service.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post
Thank you for the responses. I will never ever marry again, wife left before I finished 19 months in Iraq...After 10 years of marriage...No more. I am located in Connecticut, right on the ct river. Maybe to help with the motivation, you could provide some input as to where I could live on my boat in a more temperate location. A place that isn't priced too high, so I can save money to bring the boat up to cruising par.

thanks jeff

Hoo boy, that's tough. But man was not made to live alone. That by itself will make you lose interest not only in your boat, but in life altogether. You can cook for yourself, pick up after yourself, even have sex with yourself, and have no one around to nag and complain, but it's all kind of -- pointless. You don't need to marry her, but having a woman around would put a different perspective on it all. Preferably a woman sailor.

As to climate, you've got the whole world to choose from. Is your boat at all seaworthy? Can you get her at all seaworthy? Then go south, young man, as far as you can get. Florida is dirt cheap these days; Central America is even cheaper but presents a different set of challenges.

Getting the boat ready for a long journey which will change your surroundings is about as inspiring as anything could be.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17   #43

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Tritonsailor, fix the bottom,fix the auxillary and get out of the yard. Those guys will suck the life out of you. The work is never done and the clock is always ticking. No one knows better than you that time can run out quickly. You can live in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, Fl Keys for about $250/mo. That community will charge your batteries. Good Luck, Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:45   #44

Notes on the A4. It's a dirt simple engine. Unless it's a basket case there is almost nothing to go wrong. The biggest problem I had with the one in my old P30 was ignition. If you're half way handy pull the distributor and put in new points and rotor. If you have bigger problems I used to remove my engine. Took about an hour to unblot it, slide it into the cabin on some 2x4s and do what needs to be done. I pulled mine, dis-assembled it and replaced all the gaskets and seals in a day. If you need parts Moyer Marine is right in your neck of the woods and has pretty much anything you might need. BTW, the distrubutor is usually a Prestolite and ignition parts are available in most NAPA stores.

Sounds like you need to hitch up your drawers, paint the bottom, get the engine breathing and hit the road.

Good luck

Dick
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49   #45

Tritonsailor,
You can live on the hook in many places in the keys for free. I believe in Florida it's legal and they can't make you move. Navy MWR has a marina on Boca Chica (MM 5?) which I believe allows liveaboards and of course you have the commissary, NEX etc.

Plus...it's warm here.

Last but not least thanks for your service.

Nick
Nicco61 is offline   Reply With Quote