Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 15:15   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander
Re: Month 4 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Really
Okay. Sorry I wasted your time.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:30   #32

Boat: Pearson 33-2

I enjoy your posts, and am looking forward to to month 12 when you get to see your average. I've learned that a simple response of "Bless your heart" to the haters does the trick, as they can't stand nice people any more than they can stand themselves. Hopefully you'll reconsider posting the details in the future.

Cheers!
Old 19-01-2017, 18:57   #33

Boat: Boatless

Sailorboy1,

For people who dream of cruising this is a very valuable thread...I cannot imagine that anyone would be negative about it!

Please keep posting both your costs and adventures. Please post an accumulted cost I will let you know when you get within a $50,000 of my accumulated costs.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 19:23   #34

As MarkJ said, his information is important because it's real and not speculation and I agree with Mark. I also agree with Mark that the first year is a money sponge when cruising. I believe that Sailor Boy 1 will see a decrease in his costs once he gets out of the USA and while it will take some time his monthly averages should start to fall, many of you new cruisers will learn a lot from his experiences.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 19:29   #35

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Really
It is so strange, but I can see in my mind, SB, sitting on the foredeck while the Admiral steers; he is holding a fluffy white cat, and drumming his fingertips together with a thoughtful and uplifted look while he considers acting on this newly discovered option.

I was hoping to get to the Green Cove Springs marina to say hi and tell you how great it was that you had come South, but was in the hospital so often I should have just stayed there. I wish I had come to say hello, we were only a few dozen miles from you while you were there. Heck, I may have even been able to offer some free transport had I been able and healthy.

Arggh!! Now the Dr. Evil image won't leave!!!!

Keep up the posts, SB, we love to get the info, and for those still stuck in a chair someplace or at the boatyard doing refits (or in my case of late, in and out of the hospital repeatedly), your updates and progress (as well as any other experiences you have along the way, good or bad) help to soothe our shore anxiety while we chomp at the bit to return to the water.

I am still seeing it!! AAAGGHHH!!!!
Save
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:27   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

well, you only live twice!
Old 20-01-2017, 05:08   #37
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
BTW remember I said I will provide the breakdown if you PM asking me. I will even discuss the breakdown numbers on the thread if someone asks about them. I'm just currently not willing to suffer all the jabs I've taken the last 3 threads.

Common Sense prevails.............

question stupidity....
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 06:19   #38

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

Thank you for the info. As someone who is just starting to plan for my live aboard retirement, maybe early retirement, I find the information very helpful and insightful.
Thank you!
Scott
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 06:45   #39

Boat: Irwin 52 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Ditto Don.
Ditto ditto..thank you!!!
RC402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 07:49   #40

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Xmass week is a tough time to rent a car so you were charged a lot. In future consider taxis when available. That is what I did until buying a folding electric bike with panniers. Easy shopping trips up to 10 miles or so.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 07:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Xmass week is a tough time to rent a car so you were charged a lot. In future consider taxis when available. That is what I did until buying a folding electric bike with panniers. Easy shopping trips up to 10 miles or so.
I believe he already addressed the alternative ground transportation options earlier in the thread. The OP believed car rental was his most economical and convenient option.

This is the exact problem he's been dealing with which is why he's no longer posting itemized lists. Nowhere did the OP ask how to reduce expenses. Nowhere is the OP concerned about costs.

You have decided he is spending too much of his money and have taken it upon yourself to 'educate' him on how you would live his life better.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:54   #42

I look forward to those days. $900/mo for daycare for the kids, ~$600 for a spot and utilities... $100/month to fill up the truck for transport when it's icy (over ~$30 for the motorcycle in fair weather).

These expenses shared are appreciated on my end. **** comes up that you have to pay for. Especially when you have a family that isn't wholly on board with the ideology of saving. I'm still at least 5 years out from a purchase, unless I can swing a job on a coast, sell the tiny house, find a decent live-aboard and gradually get into the rhythm. Any arm chair warriors in central Oregon with land to put a tiny house with cheap rent?

Life is a money leak.
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:16   #43
CLOD

Well I'm going to post them as there appears to be enough interest on the thread and from PMs, and enough time has gone by so that those just looking to argue have moved on to another cause. I'm willing to answer any question about what is included in an item etc. and why I did it maybe, but unless I get pissed off I'm hoping not to answer anything just attacking what I spend MY money on.

Grifts (it was Christmas) - $850
Food, soda, beer, sundries, clothes, etc - $1357
Boat maintenance, repairs, upgrades -$1041
Fuel - $145
Marina - $453
Entertainment - $143
Transportation - $894
Communication, storage, shipping - $326
Medical costs- $226
Eating out - $513
Florida boat registration - $358
2017 boat insurance - $1293
Old 20-01-2017, 12:07   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Truth is a lot of what is killing me trying to get a hand on a budget is I have no idea what we spend now on different items like food or clothes for instance.
Wife has her own job so she has her own money to spend, it is not shared, so I'm afraid she spends way more on clothes than I realize

Of course we are going to cruise on the money I have saved for retirement.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:14   #45
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm afraid she spends way more on clothes than I realize

Of course we are going to cruise on the money I have saved for retirement.
We don't have that many clothes really and I bet she will have to stop buying as there isn't room to store them. Each time we do wash I put away more pair of underwear than everything else combined (should just stop wearing them ). Also you can control clothes buying by not going to places where it is possible to shop for them.

Tags
cruising