Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 21:23   #1

Mate Sharing Barter Around Southold, N.Y.

Hello, I am new to this, hoping to get boat on Tuesday. The hard part is the guy who is out here who is the one who delivered the boat where it's been for years is trying to convince me not to get it. A marine surveyor I met at a social function told me about it saying this is a decent boat just needs cleaning of alot of mold. The lady who owns it is sweet and elderly. She first made me wait saying the surveyor needed to show the boat and be in charge of moving it. Then a few days later after I tried to call him, no answer. I went to see her and she wasn't home my phone was acting up at that point she could barely hear me. But next time I called her she said I didn't have to wait for him, he is not answering his phone anyway. Then I tried to call marinas to find one affordable. Out here that's not easy. Nothing so far. To make that more interesting I thought I would find a partner. Someone who could put the boat in their yard or in back of their house. When I did not find that I thought I might put it in the front yard where I am living. The guy who works at the marina near her sounded negative. Changed prices on me so I went to another place just to see if they would deliver it they said 300 and when I asked does that include tax & license. He said hold on 55 more. Then they said we need to see the place your putting it so we will know if we can do it. We won't go see it unless you agree we can do this job. So I said sure. The guys son called me 7 am to say he saw it and the boat can't be placed there. Then the other guy who was grouchy came and said no the sloop is too bad to unload.
Then I met a guy who has a sailboat around the block. He said if you have to get all new inside stuff because of mold maybe you should not jump off a cliff like that, he said if you have to rebuild the inside you need marine wood and cut to fit the boat etc. It is filled with water to about 5" but it is a gamble. I was planning to clean it with vinegar and just air t out. It needs a missing piece of wood on the slide up door to keep water out. The lady told me when I called her with a progress report that she was still hopping I could find something a place for the boat. Then I met someone who said he will agree to rent me a spot in front of his home. I let him know the boat needs work and may take more than this season to finish. He is also elderly and his lady friend is the one who introduced me to him when I mentioned my problem. Wanting a place to park a boat. I guess I could work on it and when I get to the point that it's clean if I can't finish learning the rest. How to put the cables in place properly and all the rest. Then only if I had to would I sell it. She asked me that if I get to keep the boat would I take her out one it someday. You see she and her late husband used it. She wants it moved by Tuesday because she has tree cutting guys coming to clear out dead trees. When I called him back to say I found a place he said he was busy and most likely Went day I should call him Monday. I think he wants it or is buddy's with the guy from his marina job who she said constantly is calling her. I want a beautiful boating experience too. I could use some help. But I will have to see if I can get it delivered. That is of course step one. If so then I've got to do the best I can. OK my fantasy is a live aboard situation. Any ideas appreciated. Anyone living on the northfork of Long Island and want a barter situation. If I get it, if I can fix it, I do know someone with a dock who may let me store it. Be able to not pay crazy dock fees. THANKS
Riptideouteast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 03:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Mate Sharing Barter Around Southold, N.Y.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Riptideouteast.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 05:57   #3

Boat: 41' yawl

Wow.

Take a deep breath, walk away from this boat, learn a little more about boats, and make a less frantic, emotional decision.

Do you want a boat, or a rotting piece of rubbish you need to spend years turning into a boat? It sounds like you found the latter, and you don't even have (and can't afford to rent) a place to put it while you work on it.

Run away!!! Try again when you've had a chance to put a plan together.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 06:20   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Walk away from this boat. If the kind lady paid you $500 to take it you would still be getting a bad deal.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 08:25   #5

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

1.) Pictures would help, and the devil is always in the details.

2.) Not all sailors own mega yachts.

3.) The price of sailing education is a consideration, this vessel could be a maker or deal breaker.

4.) Haste has a habit of biting one in the butt.

5.) Analysis paralysis has cost many a sweet deal.

Not much help, but at least you know someone else understands where you're at.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 08:40   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

A derelict boat is a liability. If the present, or future owner (you) can not put the boat in working order, it must be destroyed or forever require storage payments. The cost of legally disposing of a small boat, say 25', will be thousands of dollars - fiberglass is a petroleum product. I once took procession of a "free" 27' power boat. After putting in thousands in repairs with no end in sight, I had to give it away, and it was hard to find a taker.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:05   #7

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Run brother run. It'll get more complicated. Save and buy something more affordable, maybe on a trailer. Learn not just to sail but also the pain and expense. I think you're now learning some pain. Most of us started with 22 Or 25 footers. Good luck.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:10   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Just a thought on storage and refit location. You could locate abandoned acreage, pay the back taxes and storage would go down to property taxes per year. The drive time could be an issue, but doable. Once mold is addressed, move aboard reducing your rent again, or sell you current home.
Again, pulling the trigger is easy, when it's not your bacon in the fire.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:43   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. While on land, boats are absolutely no fun at all.

I agree with the comments above...don't walk...RUN away from this deal.

I have seen many boats that I would not take for free, some still advertised locally:

Free Sail Boat | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:48   #10

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Down here at aqualand at Lake Lanier, they have a couple of auctions a year for the derelicts that have been left. You can get one for 1 or 200 bucks, 500 will get you a working motor. Most are dry. You can't give them away hardly there are so many. Unable to even donate them. Don't buy one that is under water. Take your time as Chris said.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 10:32   #11

Sounds like you should RUN from this boat.

That said,if your heart set- get a survey by outside surveyor.

Though I think -RUN RUN RUN.

Learn and know what you're doing first instead of dreaming.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 13:58   #12

Boat: Scout 30

A fool & his money ...
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 14:14   #13

You can contact me I can be of some help . I am a shipwright and live in Southold too. I may know of the boat and may be able to point you in right direction , regards Rick
midnightsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:31   #14

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsailor View Post
You can contact me I can be of some help . I am a shipwright and live in Southold too. I may know of the boat and may be able to point you in right direction , regards Rick
Here is your answer Riptide. Use the wisedom and advice of this kind soul or someone like him. We don't know from your post if this project is feasible or not. To me it sounds like you are in a little over your head at this point and need guidance. That is not to say you shouldn't follow your dream here. As you can see there is a lot of negativity out there, some valid, some not. Find someone to mentor you, this is not a project to be sneezed at. Good luck and keep us posted.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 04:33   #15

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I never saw what this boat is.

Trailer sailor? 30' crab crusher? Big difference in managing someplace to plunk it on the ground, including making it stand up if it doesn't come on a trailer or with a cradle.

Do you have mold remediation experience? The description you make could well be life threatening.

Etc.

If you can stand to wait for a while, join the myriad of sailing, cruising, and live-aboard Facebook groups, and ask for serviceable boats in your price range. You may find one given to you...

You sound a bit like you're extremely financially constrained; be aware that EVERY boat, if you want to keep it up, let alone pretty, will eat holes in the largest of pockets, and quickly strip even deep ones.

Caveat maximus emptor...

HTH...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote