Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 07:22   #1

Looking to Buy, Hunting for Suggestions

Hey everyone,

My name is Iain. I'm located just outside of Toronto, Ontario. I came across this forum while reading up more on some sailboats that are for sale in and around the GTA(Greater Toronto Area) and figured i would post some questions in here in hopes of some answers from experienced sailors and those who just live aboard.

I am 6'1". Maybe a bit taller. So ive been looking at larger boats to accommodate my size. 30'-38'.
Price range. between $15,00-20,00 but i've looked at some a bit more expensive.

i don't mind having to fix up anything needed as i am quite handy with my hands. I have rebuilt several cars in my time so i am sure i can figure most of the issues out. if not, i can read and ask for help.

Anyway, ill get down to some questions..

Sailboat 1.

Im looking at a 1974 34' Grampian that is for sale, a bit above my looking proce though.. It has ample headroom and in decent shape but i cannot find any reviews/right ups on the sailboat.
Are there any issues with the boat itself? ie specific issues with the boats design?
Anyone had any experience with this boat or something similar?

Sailboat 2.

A 1982 Huges 31'. Bit tighter headroom.. About the same height as me. So i have a feeling id be better off with something bigger.. however the price is below the $15,000 mark.
For a liveaboard i think i should go for something bigger and more comfortable that i can stand up in. but i think i just put this here for someone to tell me no. lol

Sailboat 3.

A 1976 Columbia Mk2 34'. Currently being used as a liveaboard. I found a good review about someones experiences with this model boat, but then it got me thinking about other boat problems. So i went hunting for a forum.
The add states "42' mast (not stepped) Cradle" but not that there is a mast. And the price is extremely low. So I'm thinking it needs a lot of work(which i can do) but not sure of the cost. I was going to call the gentleman, but i figured i would ask some others first.

Any suggestions on a make of boat you might suggest i look for?

Im open to any suggestions/comments/harsh words

Thanks for your time reading through this! I'm going to go back and look around.

PS. Im in no hurry to get a boat this season. I'm looking at possibilities and the amount I am looking to pay. plus I'm not sure if the process would be lower at the end of the season or the beginning..
KrazzyKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 07:32   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Looking to buy, hunting for suggestions!

Make sure you are being realistic with yourself on your budget. If buying a boat in size range and price you are looking at, you might expect spending at least the purchase price, plus lots of labor, in getting boat in shape for any off-shore use.

If $15k to $20k is you total budget, I would suggest looking at smaller boats. Head room is nice, but better yet to have a boat that is sea worthy and that you can afford.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 07:42   #3

Thanks for the quick reply..

It's not my total budget, but my initial budget that i am looking at right now. If i was to purchase a boat next spring, it would be more and i would likely be more informed at what i am looking to get out of the boat with my money.

The first boat is on the water right now. So is the liveaboard boat(3) but i havent looked into any other details about it. The first boat had a website about it with lots of details about the boats history, work done, ect. The other 2 were just ads. I would have to go see them in person.

As for the headroom, i dont mind something smaller. I just assumed something you could stand in would be better fit. But i could be wrong. That's why i made the topic. Get some answers from those who know more then myself.

Sailboat 1 is a "Grampian 34' Centre cockpit Ketch" That is the one i am currently most interested in. Anyone ever had experience with one or something similar?

Here is a link to the style of boat i found on the Grampian Owners site:

http://www.grampianowners.com/G34/g34.html
KrazzyKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 07:42   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The Pearson 323 has 6'2" headroom throughout the boat. They can be purchased in your price range with patience.

I've been on mine cruising for three months now. I think it is a fine sailing boat, and would work well as a live aboard for a single or frugal couple.

I'm sure the boats listed are fine as well, just wanted to point out the headroom on the Pearson. It was a purchase criteria for me that was important. I'm just 6' though, but I would hate to have to bend over while washing dishes or cooking, etc. When living aboard you can't just hop below and sit down to be comfortable.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:21   #5

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

If they are close enough go look at them all and choose the one you like best.....
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote