Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 20:13   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dana Point, Ca.
Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Posts: 285
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Great advice....

We made the big move, but not to a boat.

Erica retired and I was pretty much retired, and we made the decision to give it all way, sell it, or toss it and move to the Garden Island of Kauai.

That was it. Time it took to make the decision, about 15 seconds when Erica came over and told me she could retire. And we moved over to Kauai Island, Hawaii, lived across from Kalapaki Beach and our sailing was annual two week bare boating Australia, Tahiti, the Caribbean, Ireland and Greece.

Shipping household goods. Darned near ZERO. We both gave our two separate mainland loads of stuff, furniture, clothes, everything, sold, given away, or trashed.

We had a very easy transition from Seal Beach and Huntington Beach, Cal. to the beach city life on Kauai.

But, we had visited for 12 years and then flew over to meet with a RE agent, to look at property. We wanted to rent, and did not buy. We had 10 wonderful years living on Kauai, and were quite active.

But, we wound up having to leave kauai and return to the mainland, in Dana Point .

The whole process started again, did not ship much of anything, the stuff was sold, given away or trashed. i flew over to the mainland to check out place to live in Dana Point, found the perfect place for us, five minute walk to the beach, and we have now been here coming of five years.

Point is we agree with get the yoke of the past off your shoulders, and live on your boat, or even rent a place for a while. What ever feels good to you. We would side with living on board around the boating community, and be able to get out on the water and enjoy .

Congrats, the best to you both.

Denny and Erica
__________________

Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 19:38   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 11
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

love your downsizing!
__________________

Andreadsuchyshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 21:47   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Qatar
Posts: 266
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Florida is a weird, weird place. We lived and went to graduate school there, and one of our kids goes to college there.
What do you mean in particular about this? I spent big chunks of my life in Florida and California, and Cali is weirder by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
...make sure you have options if you're not happy so you're not tied to one place. You may find you enjoy the neighboring states more, or you may find you want to buy a catamaran and sail off to the Exumas and never come back .
Very good advice, especially if you're new to that location.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:26   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 11
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

I’m finding this thread motivating and helpful. Great advice all!
Andreadsuchyshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 00:25   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 2,103
Images: 1
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The only part that's a concern to me is this:

- I would be working full time driving 3-4 days per week plus air travel 2-3 time
per month

Is that full time driving around South Florida 3-4 days a week? That's going to stress you out beyond belief. The traffic around Miami is some of the worst in the country and between the 90 year old who isn't fit for the roads and the 28 year old who got to the USA last week and is driving for the first time in their life, it's fairly sketchy driving too.
I lived and worked in Miami for a few years and spent about 30-50% of my time on an airplane going someplace. Yea traffic is bad but it is bad in a lot of places and we just learned to deal with it. It was a bit stressful.

On the other side we had a place on land and when we got the boat we kept her in Rickenbacker Marina in Miami and on weekends we would go sailing and did that 3 out of 4 weekends and that helped clear the mind.

When I turned 62 I quit work sold the house and got rid of everything and moved aboard and cut he dock lines. The goal was to sail to the Bahamas and not sink the boat or kill ourselves. Well long story short that was 12 years ago, 47 countries, Caribbean crossing, Atlantic Crossing, circum nav of the Black Sea and most of the Med.

And if you think once out here the stress goes away - think again. Wait till you sit for winter in the Med in a marina and deal with 50+k winds or anchoring in the dark in an unknown location (we try never ever do that but it happens) and you are up most of the night watching or tucking in in a secure anchorage in the ICW in NC and watch one of their great thunderstorms blow thru and lightening all around or you get the idea -

But then again if you want stress free become a monk - a joke - but we would never want to do anything and are looking forward to releasing the dock lines this spring and head to brand new ports of call and new adventures and will there be stress YEP - but that goes with the territory.
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
In Herzliya Israel for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 00:54   #21
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 396
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

We're a fair bit younger, but there are three of us, so the accumulated 'stuff' was probably comparable (including mine and Elizabeth's library, maybe 5000 volumes...we are or were both writers). We just a few months ago moved onto our boat full-time, and downsizing several times did the trick. Once you start trimming, it's addictive. Like distilling your life to only the very most important things, until you sort of realize that the most important things aren't things, but the person or people you are sharing the adventure with
__________________
3 cats, 3 queers, endless wake, endless love!
https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswake/
https://anendlesswake.com/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 07:27   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 11
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Good day all- a couple questions about the logistics of getting rid of "land stuff." Are you finding most of it goes to charities vs. selling vs. giving away to friends family?

And part 2 of "stuff" when moving on a live a board, is it more economical to ship items or purchase at the new place? I'm watching people paying large shipping and country fees. What are some of the best ways to do this more economically?
Andreadsuchyshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 00:22   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 2,103
Images: 1
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

We did a combo - some stuff sold, some to charities some to family - some to the boat. I was lucky in that I lived in Miami and boat was in Miami so I took things there I wanted and got rid of the rest. Most of what I took onboard were some books, clothes, tools and some cooking stuff - There is only a limited amount of space on board so chose wisely
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
In Herzliya Israel for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:55   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Boat: 1984 Harbor Master
Posts: 13
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming 1 View Post
Boatpoker,
Thanks for the reality check, I agree. I did not mention that a huge part of the stress comes from needing to move out of a house we have lived in for almost 20 years, with way too much stuff. And potentially have to make the move in 5-6 weeks.
Having moved out my house and onto a boat, I will say that the single most surprising “issue” was downsizing. I lived in a modest 1100 sq. Ft. Home in So. Mpls, MN and I am by no means a hoarder, although I was heavily involved in Audio Recording & Production so `I did amass a few “toys” such as reel to reel decks, amps, etc but nothing crazy.

I eBay’d my high end things quickly; however, I completely underestimated the time it would take to get rid of EVERYTHING.

First, I posted on Craigslist and sold a few more. Then, lowered my prices consecutively until I was giving things away for free. Upon my last week, I put everything that was left on a large bakers rack with a FREE sign and got rid of more.
All in all, that took about 6 months, selling on eBay and garage Sales every weekend. I STILL had to pay $800 to have a company remove the remaining belongings (it was a company that would sell my things, then donate the money to non-profit; definitely the way to go.)

I am also in the Upper Midwest now, living on a 37’ Harbor Master on the Mississippi River, 24/7, 365 days a year.

I love it. Life changing. Some challenges, like -15 Below F (temp, not wind chill) but my cabin is toasty. I have a bubbler to keep from freezing the boat in, and chip away on the off days it gets that cold.

Let me know if I can help!

Dave
DumDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:54   #25
RSH
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Boat: Lagoon 380
Posts: 47
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreadsuchyshi View Post
Good day all- a couple questions about the logistics of getting rid of "land stuff." Are you finding most of it goes to charities vs. selling vs. giving away to friends family?

And part 2 of "stuff" when moving on a live a board, is it more economical to ship items or purchase at the new place? I'm watching people paying large shipping and country fees. What are some of the best ways to do this more economically?
It was a mixture. I'd say I donated about 70% of the stuff, sold about 20%, and tossed about 10%. Now anything that I think about bringing into the condo, I have to think hard about it since we have a rule about one in, one out.

We're adding a puppy to our household and my husband asked if he could apply the one in one out rule (we already have a dog) and I was like ha no.

I can't help with part 2, since our boat and our condo are US based.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Qatar
Posts: 266
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

It's interesting to hear the comments about cleaning-house and selling off everything. I had a big sale like that when we moved out of California years ago, then again when leaving Atlanta. But I had a couple of months and took my time and maximized every dollar of profit on eBay and Recycler. Brought in thousands of dollars on junk that would have normally gone into the garbage or donation.

Not we're leaving the Middle East to return to America, but we have about 5 months notice. So slowly selling most everything again. Some things only sell for $10, which is silly in reality, but it feels better than tossing away.

Time is your greatest asset!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:19   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: on the water (currently in The Bahamas)
Boat: Bali 4.0
Posts: 14
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming 1 View Post

- Our long term goal (3-6 year retire) has been to gain more experience, live aboard (38-40 Cat) and cruise. Not sure if it would be the Caribbean or beyond.

Opportunity:
- SO may or may not work

Thanks
Maybe Im misreading this bullet about "may or may not work", but it seems like you may no longer need the income. And even if you do, like maybe you don't need many more years of it.
It seems to me you should just be going after that long term goal today!!


Im often baffled that people go through a major life change (and the stress/excitement that comes with it) without simply chasing the big dream that they're actually focused on. Why wait until retirement to figure out if you actually like something before moving your whole life into it just to find out?
Why go through all the work for a move to FL when you could just move onto that boat and head for the Caribbean?

We have only lived aboard for about 8 weeks and haven't made it as into the Caribbean as most people make it in their first week, but I can already tell you countless stories of people who waited their whole life to do this just only to find out it isn't actually for them. 65years of planning and dreaming only to get a few months (or days) in and decide its not for them. Maybe they never leave the dock, maybe its only a vacation or maybe its only a one year adventure (certainly no harm in that), then they go home sell the boat and realize that their dreams changed.

So... why not find that out early on and start focusing on other dreams (or better yet trying those on as well)? Quit the job, get rid of everything and go try that dream on for size? Think of it as a 6month or year sabbatical, think of it as whatever you like...but then you know if you suddenly are chasing a different dream than what you thought.

Most importantly you will have suddenly lifted that heavy yoke of house and stuff (and habits) from around your neck, so at the end of the season/year/month you actually are free to decide what's next.

And if i'm wrong and you still need the money (or for the others that still do)... Why not at least take those first steps? Get out of the house, get rid of the stuff. Move into a boat-sized apartment and look at how much less you're spending and how much faster you save for that end goal (and how much faster you can actually have it). Once you feel the freedom I assure you all other plans will speed up and look far easier/less daunting to achieve.

I know for us that was the biggest lesson in our leap of faith and 1-2year experiment turned lifestyle...
It's not what you live on or in. It's not where you are or where your'e going.

It's actually the freedom that really matters. Once the job and the mortgage and all the "stuff" are out of the equation... I'll bet you could be happy just about anywhere (I know we are!)!
__________________
Enjoy the Journey!
www.theDangerz.com
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Monroe, Ga
Boat: Sailing club & Chartering for the time being.
Posts: 70
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Maybe Im misreading this bullet about "may or may not work", but it seems like you may no longer need the income. And even if you do, like maybe you don't need many more years of it.
It seems to me you should just be going after that long term goal today!!


Im often baffled that people go through a major life change (and the stress/excitement that comes with it) without simply chasing the big dream that they're actually focused on. Why wait until retirement to figure out if you actually like something before moving your whole life into it just to find out?
Why go through all the work for a move to FL when you could just move onto that boat and head for the Caribbean?

We have only lived aboard for about 8 weeks and haven't made it as into the Caribbean as most people make it in their first week, but I can already tell you countless stories of people who waited their whole life to do this just only to find out it isn't actually for them. 65years of planning and dreaming only to get a few months (or days) in and decide its not for them. Maybe they never leave the dock, maybe its only a vacation or maybe its only a one year adventure (certainly no harm in that), then they go home sell the boat and realize that their dreams changed.

So... why not find that out early on and start focusing on other dreams (or better yet trying those on as well)? Quit the job, get rid of everything and go try that dream on for size? Think of it as a 6month or year sabbatical, think of it as whatever you like...but then you know if you suddenly are chasing a different dream than what you thought.

Most importantly you will have suddenly lifted that heavy yoke of house and stuff (and habits) from around your neck, so at the end of the season/year/month you actually are free to decide what's next.

And if i'm wrong and you still need the money (or for the others that still do)... Why not at least take those first steps? Get out of the house, get rid of the stuff. Move into a boat-sized apartment and look at how much less you're spending and how much faster you save for that end goal (and how much faster you can actually have it). Once you feel the freedom I assure you all other plans will speed up and look far easier/less daunting to achieve.

I know for us that was the biggest lesson in our leap of faith and 1-2year experiment turned lifestyle...
It's not what you live on or in. It's not where you are or where your'e going.

It's actually the freedom that really matters. Once the job and the mortgage and all the "stuff" are out of the equation... I'll bet you could be happy just about anywhere (I know we are!)!

All great advise and like so many it is right in my "mid life" crisis also. To figure out a better and more fulfilling life. What the theDangerz wrote I think sums it up the best. Good luck to all in finding your second half place in life. I hope and pray we all get there and it is as wonderful as we anticipate.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: on the water (currently in The Bahamas)
Boat: Bali 4.0
Posts: 14
Re: Looking for some advise, possible big life change

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
All great advise and like so many it is right in my "mid life" crisis also. To figure out a better and more fulfilling life. What the theDangerz wrote I think sums it up the best. Good luck to all in finding your second half place in life. I hope and pray we all get there and it is as wonderful as we anticipate.

Foster
Granted, we did it (accidentally) a bit early in life...
but I can assure you, while the journey might not match exactly the “plan”.... it is as wonderful and more!!
All the more reason to go get it today rather than waiting on a tomorrow that may never come!
__________________

__________________
Enjoy the Journey!
www.theDangerz.com
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How big of a boat do I need? Please Advise.. SaltLifeSpirit Powered Boats 32 24-06-2018 08:16
620: Could use some advise corika1 Lagoon Catamarans 6 04-08-2012 10:10
Need Some Advise bobe531 Monohull Sailboats 14 21-04-2008 13:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.