Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2012, 18:39   #1

Living in a Marina

Hi,
Just wandering about living in a marina . Last time I had a boat I didnt live on it . It was way to small( 21foot) . Just got told to take a hike by girl friend and now I. Can get a boat again . I want to live on it but I heard that its pretty hard to find a marina that will let you stay on it for more than two weeks. Any advice would be greatly apreacated. Thanks
H2obeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 18:47   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Living in a marina

welcome to the forum.

answers to your question will vary from place to place. You may find it helpful to specify the locale where you're hoping to live. And the boat type/size.
Old 30-06-2012, 19:21   #3

I'm looking for a 30 footer and thinking about Florida but it. Will be most likely be southern cal.
Old 30-06-2012, 19:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Before buying a boat its really good to find a slip to put it in first. When I was in Southern Florida many marinas only allowed for 6 month liveaboard (mainly for the snowbirds of which there was lots.

Finding a slip can be exciting with many places in southern Cali having a waiting list years long. The price for a slip is all over the place too. Most in the SF bay area are $8-$10 to $14 a foot. Add to that the liveaboard fee which can be $150 to $300 a month depending on location, plus electric, haul outs every year or so, etc.,etc.

Is it doable. Yes.. I've liveaboard for over eight years now and love every minute. Well except for the rainy season sometimes and when it starts blowing above 35 knots when anchored out.....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 19:50   #5

Thanks I'll keep that in mind sounds like really good advice.
Old 30-06-2012, 20:11   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Liveaboard slips are a little hard to find, but there are some out there and some are reasonable. Here in Naples FL. there is a place called Calusa Bay marrina I believe and for something in the 200-400 dollars a month range you can keep your boat and live aboard.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 20:46   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2obeau View Post
Hi,
Just wandering about living in a marina . Last time I had a boat I didnt live on it . It was way to small( 21foot) . Just got told to take a hike by girl friend and now I. Can get a boat again . I want to live on it but I heard that its pretty hard to find a marina that will let you stay on it for more than two weeks. Any advice would be greatly apreacated. Thanks

There are several in the St. Petersburg, FL area. I live in a marina in that area. Email me if you're thinking about this part of Florida.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 22:26   #8

Boat: Cascade 36

Pleanty of liveaboard spots in San Diego. Not all will allow it on 30' but there are at least a few places that will. Of course SD isn't exactly cheap but it really is super nice.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2obeau View Post
I'm looking for a 30 footer and thinking about Florida but it. Will be most likely be southern cal.
Am not entirely sure what you are trying to say But if buying in Florida and moving boat to California then you've got a helluva long trip in front of you (by sea or by road) - and both those cost in time and cash.

Personally, I would be looking to buy in the area I intended living / using the boat - or at least within shouting distance. Not to say can't be done, more falls into the category of needing a good enough reason to.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote