Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 00:41   #16

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. This side of the "ditch" in N.Z. is much more liveaboard friendly, but maybe I shouldn't be letting the "cat out of the bag". Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:39   #17

Re: Some Sydney liveaboard experience

Hello fellowtraveller and all on this post. thank you for your information and advice. It has been really useful since I am only just starting to realize how difficult it is going to be to fulfil our dream of living with my family, husband, young son and dog on our houseboat in Sydney. I guess it comes down to finding a live aboard friendly marina. Would you be able to help with any that you know of... I appreciate any information you might have. Thank you
Familyaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 15:30   #18

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Re: Liveaboard - Sydney, Australia

OK... I expect to get a bunch of negative replies by people who might not understand my question.. but:

What's the big deal with folks who have stuff out on their deck? (say laundry, surfboards etc.) - things would be considered untidey.

For the record I have never kept anything like the aforementioned above deck on any of my past smaller boats and when I get my cruiser I certainly don't plan to... but in my opinion some people who are living their version of a cruising dream may be in a situation where they need to dry some laundry or may have some recreational extras such as fishing gear or surfboards etc. while hanging out in protected bays out on the islands.

Families who live on boats come to mind.

I don't mind seeing surf vans or British backpackers with camper vans loaded up with stuff on their travels around Oz... in fact it makes me smile and I think to my self 'what a fun and free life'. Surely one of the reasons we are into sailing is for the freedom?

And yes I am aware of the perceived shanty/ugly nature of a bunch of untidy yachts in front of a 4 million dollar harbor view... I guess I'm talking about the folks who keep to the less populated areas - there is still a very negative perception by fellow cruisers about 'untidy' boats.

Thoughts?
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 15:35   #19

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyaboard View Post
Hello fellowtraveller and all on this post. thank you for your information and advice. It has been really useful since I am only just starting to realize how difficult it is going to be to fulfil our dream of living with my family, husband, young son and dog on our houseboat in Sydney. I guess it comes down to finding a live aboard friendly marina. Would you be able to help with any that you know of... I appreciate any information you might have. Thank you
Welcome to the forum.
It's hard to find a marina to live aboard in Sydney.
There are places that will turn a blind eye provided you keep a low profile.
I lived on a boat, family of four, in Lovett Bay, Pittwater for a couple of years in the 1990s. It wasn't legal, but we were even on good terms with the local water police and had no trouble.
I had a mate who lived on a 28ft yacht at one of the marinas in Pittwater for years, and there were a couple of others in Lovett Bay at the time too. Also Towlers Bay.
Sydney may be more difficult. All you can do is go and talk to marina managers, in person, and see what you can find.
What kind of houseboat do you have? I had a Coher 45 for a few years and it was great.
By the way, I do know a few people have lived on their boats in some of the more remote areas on Lake Maquarie.
But, strictly speaking, you can't do it.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:07   #20

Just spent a few weeks in the Sydney/ Pittwater area. Never been anywhere less friendly. Only three places in the whole of Sydney harbour where you can tie up your dingy "securely" and go ashore - and they charge by the hour!
So cruiser's dollars just stay in their pockets, it is so difficult to get ashore to shop or have a meal out. Definitely won't be back.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:19   #21

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Well come to Melbourne and $45 a night for full service with a free tram 100ft from the boat.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 15:46   #22

Great suggestion. Plan to do just that next summer, then on to Kangaroo Island, SA.
Old 05-04-2012, 16:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
Just spent a few weeks in the Sydney/ Pittwater area. Never been anywhere less friendly. Only three places in the whole of Sydney harbour where you can tie up your dingy "securely" and go ashore - and they charge by the hour!
So cruiser's dollars just stay in their pockets, it is so difficult to get ashore to shop or have a meal out. Definitely won't be back.
Depends on what you mean by "securely". We have left our dinghy for several hours in many places in Sydney - chained to the wharf at Manly, a dock in Roselle bay, another in Blackwattle bay, a signpost at Fivedock bay, another at Canada bay.... in the Cowan creek area there are docks at Cottage point, Bobbin Head, and appletree bay you can use... In Pittwater you can tie up at Church point and probably others.

However, if you were looking for a free marina berth for your dinghy, that would be more difficult.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 17:11   #24

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
Great suggestion. Plan to do just that next summer, then on to Kangaroo Island, SA.
Great trip there but id look into sailing around Tassie first thats one hell off a great place to go around in summer and totally under rated. Beets QLD if only it wasn't so cold.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:19   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My Gosh ! things have really changed since the 80s when Connie and I were there ! we anchord all over the place and never had any problems with anyone !! Even had shore side folks invite us ashore for a BBQ LOL one of the most friendly places we had ever been to and pretty too!! Guess we will cross it off the bucket list of to do agains and go to NZ !! sound like they are more welcomeing !! LOL justa thought from an old vistor!!
Old 06-04-2012, 14:11   #26

Don't get me wrong, you can anchor in quite a few places, the views are still great, it's just that all the jetties are plastered with "no mooring" signs. Contacted Maritime and was told the only three places in the harbour to tie up a dingy are in the fish market (Blackwattle bay, pay by the hour), Darling Harbour (bookings only) and at Birkenhead. I guess you could leave a dingy on a beach somewhere but it is unlikely to be there when you get back.
Old 07-04-2012, 20:38   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I beg to differ.

There are quite a few place round the harbour where a dinghy could be left. I'm thinking Drumoyne, Gladesville, Middle Harbour, Abbotsford - most places where Roads and Maritime Services has a mooring field. Some of these have council provided racks and a fee is (I believe) payable.

The key to all is to have a dinghy that is worth less than most around it, not to have an outboard or oars/rowlocks and to have a heavier chain than the other boats. A fancy dinghy may not last long.

The downside is that most, if not all, of these are located some distance from amenities.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 23:28   #28

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Lane Cove River near Woolwich is where my yacht is moored in Sydney. Stayed aboard working on it for five months, never a problem. I made friends with the adjacent yachties, chained up the dinghy on shore when I went shopping and the worst that happened was some crane driver biffed the front of my VW van accidentally while unloading a barge. Unofficially, NSW Maritime will leave you alone as long as no-one complains. I keep a fairly low profile and go to bed early.

That said, I wouldn't want to stay there without knowing where to find water, supermarkets and amenities. Most are a significant drive away, and I have to go to Lane Cove for a hot shower.

Brisbane River near Colmslie Reserve is also pretty good, with the advantage that there's a swimming centre for showers within walking distance, and also toilets and water available at the shorefront. This is where my other yacht is permanently anchored. Queensland is a lot more friendly towards live-aboards, I've blatantly told the water police that I was doing this and they just told me to enjoy myself.

Needless to say, one should never leave stuff unattended and unchained on shore or on deck in either location, it's likely to grow legs and walk.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:29   #29

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowTraveller View Post
Hello all.

About living aboard in NSW….

Until I began a cruise to the Whitsundays and beyond I was living aboard in and around the areas mentioned for four years so I hope the following might be useful.

The relevant legislation is simply draconian. It is illegal to live aboard any vessel in NSW (I last checked April 2008) as it is an offence to spend more than 21 nights per year aboard. The regulations have been slowly tightened since about the 1970’s when a fear developed that Sydney was at risk of being ‘Hong Konged” by derelict and disreputable yachties. (We’re bad …. Apparently we spoil the view, pollute outrageously, steal everything not locked down and bring an otherwise undesirable ‘element’ to the locales we inhabit.)

The two official loopholes available are either
1/ obtaining written permission from the relevant authority to do so. (I know of nobody who has done so, if there is anyone, please let me know!)
2/ being ‘in transit’ as you undertake an extended cruise
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .........................

And keep smiling! Let’s face it, we have floating homes with beautiful waterfrontage and the ability to move away from irritable or irritating people.
I do not liveaboard (or sneakaboard) in Sydney yet. But I plan too in about 3 years so I have been doing my homework and I concur .... Fellowtraveller has it about right. I am hoping that I will find it easier because I will not be full time liveaboard but certainly more than 3 days consecutive and 21 days total. More like several weeks at a time and several months a year.

The official rules are draconian but there are plenty of examples of where people are getting away with the breach rather than the observance. The advice that "fellowtraveller" gives to avoid trouble is spot on.

I have also visited several marinas and it appears that the law does not prevent you liveaboard at a marina (as long as you can afford the monthly fee) but each marina is entitled to its own policy. Some allow it some don't. Its their own commercial decision.

Old 23-03-2015, 00:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigreMike View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking at living aboard in Sydney/Botany Bay/Pittwater. I know that it is strictly speaking not legal but I also hear that there are people doing it with no problems. I have tried searching but the information I find seems quite old.

Does anyone have any recent information as to locations where liveaboards are tolerated if not welcomed in the Sydney area?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

I am looking at living aboard in Sydney but on berth in the marina.
Is this Legal or Not.
Does anyone have any recent information
krone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, liveaboard, sydney