Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 19:57   #1

I've heard bad things on this forum about the sacramento delta. Any Marinas around the Oakley/ Antioch/Brentwood area that are nice and safe and accept live-aboards?

I will be heading over there this weekend but I have no idea where to look.

EDIT:

I'm more interested in which areas to check. I've heard the delta is ridden with crime and theft. I'm trying to find out which areas to avoid.

Thanks
messagedbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 20:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Liveaboard Sacramento Delta

If you check www.activecaptain.com they have a pretty comprehensive list of marinas across the US, including the delta. Go to the map page and zoom in on the area of interest. Enable the red box on the map display and all the marinas in the area will show as a red square on the map. Many will have ratings from previous customers.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 20:13   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by messagedbottle View Post
I've heard bad things on this forum about the sacramento delta. Any Marinas around the Oakley/ Antioch/Brentwood area that are nice and safe and accept live-aboards?

I will be heading over there this weekend but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks
Are you looking for nice? And safe?

Try Discovery Bay. It's close to Brentwood. I'm not certain about their liveaboard policy.

I've spent a few nights in Antioch Municipal. Locked gates. Hot. Covered slips, but not for sailboats. Close to the Amtrack, which makes a hell of a noise in the middle of the night.

Welcome to the forum. You may want to consider filling out your profile. If we had an idea of what sort of boat you have.....
Old 27-05-2013, 20:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you check www.activecaptain.com they have a pretty comprehensive list of marinas across the US, including the delta. Go to the map page and zoom in on the area of interest. Enable the red box on the map display and all the marinas in the area will show as a red square on the map. Many will have ratings from previous customers.
I did do that and compiled a list but my question was misleading. If I could delete this thread and start a new one I would.

Really I am more interested in the area. I've read on this forum that certain parts of the delta are filled with hobos on derelict boats and crime and thievery run rampant. I'm really more interested on which areas to avoid
Old 27-05-2013, 20:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Are you looking for nice? And safe? Close to Brentwood/Oakley?

Try Discovery Bay. I'm not certain about their liveaboard policy.
Thank you.
Old 27-05-2013, 20:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Welcome to the forum. You may want to consider filling out your profile. If we had an idea of what sort of boat you have.....
Thank you for the welcome. Four years ago I got this urge for privacy and a boat that could take me to the middle of the ocean without.another soul around for miles. I began reading this forum August of 09. Landlocked I saved and saved and finally have enough to buy one.

I will be buying a sailboat.
Old 27-05-2013, 22:08   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by messagedbottle View Post
I will be buying a sailboat.
Well, the further upriver you go in the Delta, the fewer sailboats you'll find as year-round residents. The big thing up there is the covered slip, which makes it possible to inhabit one's boat without melting. But covered slips are for powerboats, not sailboats. So the sailboats, especially large sailboats, have to sit out in the sun, which can become pretty unbearable unless you're out on the hook in a decent breeze.

I spend a couple weeks up in the Delta every summer, and it's a religious experience, but only because I'm able to jump into the water every half hour or so when it's hot. And drink plenty of cold brew. As much as we love the Delta, it's always a bit of a relief to get back to the Bay area and have to don a sweater at night.