Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:45   #31

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: Liveaboard questions. Wife is onboard :)

The inboard/outboard is a thread of it's own.

To the OP, get what you can afford and go now.
You may need a center cockpit aft cabin because of the kids since you brought it up.
Get out there now, stay away from debt.

My wife and I and our small dog had a 26 footer that we were quite happy with for about 3 years prior to this Westsail (about 8 years living aboard now, maybe more).
It was our 3rd sailboat, it cost $4,500, we lived on her on our own built mooring for 3 years, we didn't pay Key West rent (easily $1,200). I sold the boat for $6,000 cash the day I bought the Westsail. Do the math, $1,500 profit plus the money I didn't pay for someone elses mortgage (rent) for 36 months totals $44,700.
Now we own a great Westsail free and clear. It is the boat we wanted and not just a boat that we settled for.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:10   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1969 View Post
Check out this one: Delphia 33

Great sailor and lots of living space for the size.
I don't think a boat like this with a cost of no less than 150K follows the spirit of the search presented by the OP.
Old 28-07-2013, 10:08   #33

Boat: catalina 22

Capt Phil....what is the "mexican market" you were describing....how can we look online for it?
tangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 10:51   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

By the 'Mexican market', I was referring to the brokerage market primarily in San Carlos on the east side of the Sea of Cortez and La Paz on the west shore of the Sea of Cortez. Google boat brokerage or boats for sale in those locations. Folks have a dream of sailing to Mexico on the west coast and have a dreamy trip down (The Ba-Ha-Ha cruise that leaves San Diego around the end of October) but when they attempt the 'Baja Bash' coming north, they flame out and return to one of these two ports and put their boat on the market, either afloat or on the hard. The boat goes on the market with an absentee owner who is anxious to sell and they are usually fairly well equipped. Depending on size, I would charge around $5000 plus expenses to deliver a 35 footer north to San Diego in the 80's and 90's. Now more expensive and length will raise the price, of course. There was always some wear and tear on the boat which needed tending to before selling her in the San Diego or LA market plus the hassle that many owners don't want to deal with. As a result, there were/are many good deals on vessels in Mexico, particularly in the summer months due to heat and hurricane season voiding many US insurance policies south of Ensenada until November 1. Zeehag will know more current details but I understand that you must have liability insurance written under a Mexican insurance policy now to have a boat in Mexican waters. There are a couple of underwriters here in the states but I'm not certain where or who they are. Hope this helps... there are several regulars on this forum who will have more up to date info than I do... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:09   #35
cruiser

Look at a Hunter 450cc 1998-9 vintage. We had one for 2 years and they are huge and great for live aboard which I did for over a year of that time. Also a great coastal cruiser If that's what you plan to do. One can be had for just over $100k, just don't go trying to cross any oceans... stick to it's intended use and you'll be fine. A washing machine, watermaker and generator is a huge plus when shopping for one.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:53   #36

Boat: catalina 22

Thank you, very good info! I will start looking!
tangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 20:22   #37

Boat: Pearson 281

This one has been sold...
1978 O'Day 32 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Way too sad but they just took a perfectly good one of these over to the crusher earlier this year as the county took over the storage facility and couldn't get a hold of the owner. The owner had a for sale sign on it for a long time asking 5,000. Somebody later broke into it, pulled everything out and vandalized it.
There is one down the dock not for sale and I've been on board. Good space for a family and I have heard that they are pretty good sailors.
Good luck to ya. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39   #38

Boat: DeFever 58

The answer to this lies solely with you.

Living aboard presents its own unique set of challenges, but these challenges differ between larger and smaller boats. Living aboard a smaller boat has different challenges to a bigger boat, but doesn't mean it's the worst option.

I live aboard a Westerly Oceanmaster 48. Even aboard this boat we find space and storage a challenge, but its nowhere near as challenging as a smaller vessel. However, my annual costs are significantly higher in maintenance, mooring, power consumption, etc. As a result I am firmly 'anchored' to my land based income so I have had to compromise my much desired 'freedom' to liveaboard.

A smaller vessel, although far more confined, is often easier to live a simpler lifestyle where you are less dependent upon income security. Sometimes I envy cruisers with this freedom.

You should check out the Sailing Simplicity video blog https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRM...5FxbwfIDa-eOOQ

This is a very successful young married couple who teach others the value of a simple lifestyle.

One last retort to a post made here earlier. Someone posted "buy the biggest boat you can afford". (This mentality lead to the recent credit crunch here in the UK). My advice is this - You cannot afford to buy the biggest boat you can afford. You may be able afford to get it, but you will be severely stretched with outfitting, maintenance, running costs etc. You can guarantee it'll cost you 30% extra in all the things that need sorting out once you're aboard to discover they don't work properly.

Buy a boat you can comfortably afford at a size that will provide the lifestyle you will enjoy.

Be prepared to hate the lifestyle and have an exit strategy. Understand the first year is the worst, if you still like it after 1 year you're likely a born cruiser.

And I absolutely agree - "Now is the time" - if you're going to do it then do it. Dreams fade rapidly ...

If we don't take action now we'll settle for nothing later --- Zac De La Rocha (Rage Against the Machine) - "Settle for Nothing".

Best wishes ... Shaun
Fizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
We lived aboard our Vancouver 27 for a few years (admittedly, just cruising, not working, which makes a huge difference), then moved ashore for a couple years. We are now downsizing to move back aboard a 37-footer. It's absolutely amazing the junk you can collect in just two years ashore.

Scaling back sets you free. Don't put yourself deeply in debt. If you are good with your hands and not in a hurry, surprising what you can get for $25,000.
Vancouver 27 ..... what an awesome little boat !
Old 05-08-2013, 15:03   #40

Boat: Allmand 31

I'd highly recommend that you don't buy a boat you can't afford. It's not a good idea to have a boat payment if you want to go cruising. Very often the bank won't even let you leave the country with the boat. Check carefully to make sure you'd be allowed to keep the boat in Mexico.

We've seen plenty of families on boats in the 33 to 38 foot range, even a family of 5 on a 27 footer. My daughter and I cruise on a 31 foot boat. Yes, the space is small, but the world is huge, and we're usually outside enjoying it. The smaller your boat, and the less bite it takes out of your budget the longer you can cruise. When we meet people on larger boats they are almost always just out for a year or two and then have to sell the boat and get back to jobs.... I'd rather stay small and cruise longer.... something to consider. Cruising is a great life... why spoil it my going back to the real world.

Good luck

Mary
s/v Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - About
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I agree with maryc that it's not wise to buy a boat that you can't afford, but I think that the generalization that families are less likely to be successful liveaboard cruisers on a larger boat in invalid. Although we spent 14 years on a 33' or smaller boat until our children were six and nine; we had no disadvantages, economically or otherwise with our 41'. In fact, allowing our son, daughter and ourselves to have separate private cabins was a great benefit for all, especially as they grew to adults. Of course, many would not consider 41' particularly large and there is always the possibility to buy a boat beyond your means. In addition, "do it yourself" skills have a greater impact on costs than simply boat size.
Old 08-08-2013, 18:34   #42

Boat: mikado 56
Send a message via Skype™ to zeglarz

I do not agree.
My late husband said " buy the most expansive boat you can afford, the condition? does not matter. the equipment? who cares? you can always add things later, but you can not stretch 30 footer to 50 " 40 should be your minimum. I agree.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:33   #43

Boat: Pearson 281

I agree with Maryc and CaptForce for so many reasons. $$$ the biggest one. Definitely a challenge for stowage space still. I also like the idea that a smaller boat means a smaller anchor, smaller sail area etc which in my limited experience has meant an easier to manage boat in the snot and one I m more likely to take out on a day-sail.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Probably best not to confuse "being able to borrow" with "being able to afford"......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

affording something does not mean taking out a huge loan to pay for it ... affording something means you can fix the damthing WHEN it breaks....in a place you are new to the area and without transportation.
means slip fees, parts and labor and ...... your attitude.

if you cannot fix while underway, that is attitude...not the right one.

mexican market---there is a string of 5 brokerages owned by one guy named ray. he is in mazatlan and the string is la paz, san carlos and guaymas and mazatlan

most brokerages are online.
there is a brokerage in banderas bay--mebbe even 4 of em...
some of the boats i have seen from this area have been for sale for many years. some have been for sale only a couple of seasons.
one i know of was placed for sale immediately after the death of owner-but it isno longer in mexico. that one is in san diego.
buying a boat in mexico you take chances--but then so does anyone buying a boat anywhere.
boat buying often requires travel. sometimes a lot of it, unless you are willing to buy in your neighborhood.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote