Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 19:17   #1

Liveaboard at Yacht Clubs?

I'm looking for liveaboard options not far from Boston. So far, I can stay at marinas that start at $140/ft and go up to $190/ ft (if available), can moor in Salem (but have been warned that there is no protection there from a Nor'easter) or I can join a yacht club... I think.

Now here is the thing... I don't get how yacht clubs work. First off, are there any yacht clubs in MA that even allow liveaboards *officially?* Second off, I'm new to New England. How do I go about getting those coveted "member references" that are required? I've tried calling several clubs but never get a person.

Can I just show up with a 6 pack and a cheque for dues and see if anybody likes me?

I have a feeling that because the season is already almost here, I might have to just stick to the mooring this go around.
shortytravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 22:15   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Liveaboard at Yacht Clubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post
I'm looking for liveaboard options not far from Boston. So far, I can stay at marinas that start at $140/ft and go up to $190/ ft (if available), can moor in Salem (but have been warned that there is no protection there from a Nor'easter) or I can join a yacht club... I think.

Now here is the thing... I don't get how yacht clubs work. First off, are there any yacht clubs in MA that even allow liveaboards *officially?* Second off, I'm new to New England. How do I go about getting those coveted "member references" that are required? I've tried calling several clubs but never get a person.

Can I just show up with a 6 pack and a cheque for dues and see if anybody likes me?

I have a feeling that because the season is already almost here, I might have to just stick to the mooring this go around.

Sounds like pretty steep slip fee.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 17-04-2015, 00:28   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I don't know how the yacht clubs in Massachusetts work but I am very familiar with the club I belong to in Southern California as I served on the Membership Committee for two years.

First, joining a yacht club can be a good value. The slip rates at the club I'm a member of are lower than the rates of neighboring marinas. If you're a member for an extended length of time, this can easily offset the initiation fees and club dues.

Second, some yacht clubs actually welcome liveaboards. I also sat on the Port Captain Committee and we could approve up to 10% of the slips for liveaboard status but we never got close to that number.

As far as becoming a member goes, I know that many clubs seek potential members who are active in their boating interests. If you can find any members of the clubs that you're interested in membership with, invite them out sailing on your boat. It may take some effort and time. However, we value the membership we have at our yacht club, even though we're far from home.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 05:27   #4

Thanks for the replies. Just waiting for a commodore from MA to reply "bring good beer..." heehee.

Yeah, slip fees are not cheap around here. Gotta have deep pockets to become a New England sailor, apparently...or be on a moooring.
Old 17-04-2015, 06:42   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Ditto on what nhschneider has to say. East coast yacht clubs are different because they are "seasonal", many of them remove their boats from the water due to this phenomenon of extremely hard and cold water that occurs in wintertime. In San Diego, we are about to celebrate our "Opening Day" this weekend with a traditional "Closing Day celebration, tonight, in fact. Someone goes out on the patio deck and looks out toward the water, to where someone else is lurking with a bucket of ice cubes. The ice cubes get eased into the water and the observer shouts out the TITANIC's famous cry; "Iceberg!!!!" Then we shut down the yacht club for the season. The next morning, Bloody Mary's are served, along with Margaritas, on the deck, and the Opening Day festivities begin in earnest. Lots of signal flags, cannon blasts and alcohol. And the icebergs have disappeared.

Living aboard is very nice, if you don't mind living in a space the size of broom closet, walking up to the showers, and being greeted late at night by four-foot high great blue herons who make unpleasantly loud GRAWK!!! noises to shake you from your reverie of a beautiful evening's stroll on the dock. But then, it is San Diego and not a place where they wear overcoats for a good part of the year.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 06:49   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33

When we wanted to join our local yacht club we dressed nice and showed up there, asked for a membership application and asked if there was anyone there on the membership committee we could talk to (there was). We introduced ourselves, chatted for awhile, explained our boating experience and background and just gave the 4-1-1 on ourselves. By the end of the conversation the gentleman we were talking with offered to be one of our sponsors and he went over to the club bar and got one of the other club officers to sign as our other one. It wasn't a problem. Sometimes it's all in how you present yourself.
Old 17-04-2015, 07:54   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My club is desperate for members. Its an old club. Literally. With the aging population, the membership is literally dieing off. When I joined, I submit an application. It went to the membership committee and 2 people I had never met signed on my behalf. I even got a significant new member discount for the first year, and all initiation fees waved (if there were any).

However, after my prop shaft got mangled during haulout, I quit the club. Mostly I wanted the reciprocal privileges for a big trip around the lake.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:11   #8

Cant speak to all Yacht Clubs, but the ones around by us are not keen on live-a-board types, they typically looking for active members to participate socially etc. Might want to try some marina's off the beaten path as well, if you haven't already try using activecaptain.com
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:17   #9

I'm assuming the $140/ft is annual, so it works our around $12/ft monthly, which isn't too bad for a waterfront estate in a prime area.

We've checked into a few clubs. The slip rates are usually good but by the time you add in the membership fees, there isn't much savings. We've come to the conclusion, you join a club because you want to be part of the club (which is perfectly fine but not our cup o tea)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post

Clubs are groups of people who gather together because they have something in common and they like each other. Surely, you can figure out where that'll go with a six pac or a bottle of single malt.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 11:00   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Join a Yacht Club. Just don't fall off the bar stool.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 11:05   #12

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The real question is "weather" or not you can actually live aboard safely on a mooring in New England during the winter. I use to moor in Salem and the winters there are wicked. You might have to go to Boston to find a commercial vs. yacht club marina that maintains the docks ie. water, electric, bubblers and clears the docks of ice and snow. Even land lubbers had a bad time up there last year. I can't imagine what living on a boat would have been like. Good luck!!
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 11:20   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I need to come back in on this. Live aboard Mass. on the hook? How do you get off shore to pump out the frozen turds?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 11:28   #14

Clarification time: not talking about living aboard during the winter. I'm only talking about the summer season and the prices I quoted are SUMMER SEASON prices. Not year round. Pay to play in Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-04-2015, 12:23   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm stupid, I'm sure I don't understand. Your saying one hundred and ninety dollars a foot? For how long? A year?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, yacht