Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 11:40   #46
cruiser

Re: Let Other People Pay for Your Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
Kenomac's plan is certainly doable and could work very well. But there are horror stories aplenty in the rental property business. I've had some. Like the lady who moved out but left her 40 lb dog behind for 5 days?
I forgot to mention that the heroin addict squatters had two pit bulls as roommates. My buddy Ken made them take a shovel upstairs and clean up two large kitchen size garbage bags of **** from the upstairs room before he handed them the $1800 cash. He had his Glock .40 on him, but other than the dog **** it didn't get ugly.

Those morons were the exception, my other 20 tenants are wonderful, thoughtful business people. Some have been tenants for over 20 years, and I've rewarded their loyalty by rolling the rent back to levels from 15 years ago. One receives free rent for managing the property and feeding my wife's cats when we're away cruising. It's like a big family with symbiotic businesses where everyone has a vested interest in looking after the place. Very few problems from within, most initiate from the surrounding neighborHOOD.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:10   #47

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Very few wealthy tenants trash upmarket houses.
So instead of 2 cheap places it could be worthwhile to sell both and buy one nice one before cruising.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
You bet: When living in Australia for a few years I rented our home to a bank executive. Worst experience ever. Turned off lawn sprinklers to avoid paying for water and grass died, topping up swimming pool he deducted water cost from rent. His kids flooded an upstairs bathroom and he deducted rent for loss of use~~On and On for two years.
Took him to court twice and won each time, but collecting money is another matter.
I'm now sympathetic to all slum landlords.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:13   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
I'm a person who cares about our society and how everyone, not just me live. The OP should not be proud and boastful. You do what you feel you must do but don't brag about it. It doesn't look good on you.
Astol,

Ask me if I care even a little bit about what you think of me?

I'm trying to stimulate conversation regarding going cruising earlier, and give folks ideas on how to do it. So if you don't have anything constructive to add... nobody's forcing you to read this thread.
Old 18-05-2016, 12:21   #49

Problem with this idea is that most of us "working chumps" don't have the money for rental properties, investment income, etc. So, we have to work. Not a big deal, but finding a job that allows tele-commuting, contract work, etc. requires a certain type of "clout" also.
While my job can pretty much be done from anywhere with an internet connection, the company I work for would never agree to that. AND, doing the same job as a contract employee has not been something I have been able to find either. Years ago during the recession of 2009, I tried..got laid off from my job and decided to try to solicit companies that do the same job to see if they'd be interested in contracting out the work..I figured it'd save them expense of having in-house employees and the expenses that go with that. I sent out resumes and fliers, etc. to about 100 firms in the state..Not one single response!! Not One!! Seriously?
A person with a certain college degree, etc. may be able to find that type of deal, but I never have...even though I am highly qualified in what I do and have a lot of experience..and glowing references/recommendations...so, alas, I am stuck behind a desk until I can find a better way.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Mr K. bitches about his job from time to time.

He and Sailorboy1.

They were "boasting" earlier about how they said "Or What" when someone said something they needed to do before they quit or left for a Leave of Absence

Most of us say that sort of thing in our teens or early 20's. Not usually in our later years, but I do see it from time to time when someone finally gets to tell the boss or coworkers exactly what they thought as they exit

You are right though about most nurses.

Most nurses are great but some seem to be in it for the money only
I still don't understand what any of this has to do with Ken posting a realistic, workable way to make money. A way that hurts no one and actually provides a service for people that want or need to rent a house or building.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:30   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
Problem with this idea is that most of us "working chumps" don't have the money for rental properties, investment income, etc. So, we have to work. Not a big deal, but finding a job that allows tele-commuting, contract work, etc. requires a certain type of "clout" also.
While my job can pretty much be done from anywhere with an internet connection, the company I work for would never agree to that. AND, doing the same job as a contract employee has not been something I have been able to find either. Years ago during the recession of 2009, I tried..got laid off from my job and decided to try to solicit companies that do the same job to see if they'd be interested in contracting out the work..I figured it'd save them expense of having in-house employees and the expenses that go with that. I sent out resumes and fliers, etc. to about 100 firms in the state..Not one single response!! Not One!! Seriously?
A person with a certain college degree, etc. may be able to find that type of deal, but I never have...even though I am highly qualified in what I do and have a lot of experience..and glowing references/recommendations...so, alas, I am stuck behind a desk until I can find a better way.
Unfortunately that is how it sometimes works out. Not everyone that dreams of sailing off into the sunset will be able to achieve that goal. Even following the go small, go now philosophy isn't a panacea. No matter how small the boat, the captain and crew still have to eat and I have yet to meet anyone that could live 100% off the sea.

I consider myself quite fortunate that my life and circumstances have worked out in such a way that I was able to spend a few years cruising and hope to do so again soon.

Good luck to you and hope you find a way as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:32   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Mr K. bitches about his job from time to time........

You are right though about most nurses.

Most nurses are great but some seem to be in it for the money only
You're absolutely right, I'm only in it for the entertainment and to earn as much cash as possible. You got me all figured out. Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	124548  
Old 18-05-2016, 12:50   #53
cruiser

Quote:
?.....I am stuck behind a desk until I can find a better way.
Dear Stuck,

I was also stuck in a job for fifteen years tuning pianos for a bunch of untalented snobs who teach at one of nations most prestigious prep schools. Eighteen months ago I made a change and went back into nursing. My only regret is that I didn't do it 14.9 years earlier. I'd wasted most of my more productive years working for those ingrates.

Change is good.

Ken
Old 18-05-2016, 13:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dear Stuck,

I was also stuck in a job for fifteen years tuning pianos for a bunch of untalented snobs...

Ken
You do kinda have to be around land to tune a piano..
My job is in architecture, and performed almost 100% on computer..that computer could be anywhere in the world as long as my drawings get completed..I am, however NOT a registered architect..I just do the drawings for them.
Totally a dream scenario would be to contract myself out to numerous architects drawing and do it from my far-off locale..just have not been able to make that work out yet..
Kids are almost all out of the house, so the income does not have to remain as high as it is currently..that has never been what makes me stay...I just need something fairly steady to fund my addiction to eating daily.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 14:39   #55

Another ill informed and cheap go at teachers!
Given the shallowness and simplicity of your key to early retirement..I could go on but it wouldn't be complimentary..OR do YOU think you have got the magic..fit all..solution to financial independence??
pjlambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 14:47   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Sanders View Post
I'm a person who cares about our society and how everyone, not just me live. The OP should not be proud and boastful. You do what you feel you must do but don't brag about it. It doesn't look good on you.
Do you see where this class envy game has take us?
Now you are part of the evil rich bastard class (defined as anyone with more money and stuff than them) if you busted your ass, saved, and get to enjoy life. That isn't fair...how dare you have more than anyone else. How dare you make the life decisions that lets you cast off cruising while other comrades have to slave away in the salt mines.

Providing inspiration is now looked at as bragging in a world of participation ribbons and the false quest for equality or outcome.

That's it...I need a drink, but is that fair that I can have a drink while at "work" at 14:47hrs in the afternoon barefoot aboard my own Yacht?

Good God Save me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlambe View Post
Another ill informed and cheap go at teachers!
Given the shallowness and simplicity of your key to early retirement..I could go on but it wouldn't be complimentary..OR do YOU think you have got the magic..fit all..solution to financial independence??
Really...
Your second post on Cruisers Forum and this is what you bring to the Group? Does the Teachers Union know you are playing around on the net on the job?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 14:58   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlambe View Post
Another I'll informed and cheap go at teachers!
Go ahead, take another shot. I couldn't care any less.

It works for me and some find inspiration in my plan and the execution of the plan.

We love Italy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	124550  
Old 18-05-2016, 17:58   #58

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You have to have a particular mindset to be a landlord. I bought a house in the low-rent district for $11,000 and did some remodeling, ended up with about 16,000 in it. I have rented it for about 25 years now and clear about $4500 a year. Do the math. Some people could never be landlords, their expectations of tenants are way too high. I expect to repaint the interior and re-carpet every time a tenant moves out. But I don't often have to. I have gone for a year at a time and not touched the house. Some very easy money made there. My niece and her husband have about 20 of these units.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 18:54   #59

Quote:

That didn't work because your presentation was wrong.

You needed to open a business that provides these services, not present yourself as a 1 man shop sending out your resume.

You were still presenting as an employee.

You find a couple other experts in the field and someone who is great at sales and marketing (not your strong point, sorry) and surround yourself with the best. You should be the dumbest person on your team, always.

Then you go to these leads with a business they can outsource to.

Try that.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:39   #60

Boat: Catalina 400

Dividends, dividends, dividends.

Reinvest a good, painful portion of the dividends, and don't touch that principle.

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

― Albert Einstein
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement