Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 11:48   #1

Boat: TBD
Comparing Docking/Slip Costs

I've been researching several topics related to sailing for a while now. One attractive (and commonly mentioned) option for the future is living on a sailboat once I'm out of the military.

My wife and I have discussed checking out places like Northern Florida and NC.

Keeping in mind I would still have to work my question is - is there an easy way to compare the costs associated with living on a sailboat in certain areas? A handy little web site perhaps?

It's probably easier to research the areas, identify which we would like, and then get the costs for those 3 or 4 areas. But I thought I would ask here since you guys often come up with points I had not thought of.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 20:53   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Comparing Docking/Slip Costs

Look into ActiveCaptain. Marina rates and reviews are a big part of its popularity.
Old 22-07-2016, 23:02   #3

Love Active Captain but the rates shown are typically nightly rates, which we've found range from 2 to 10 times the price of monthly rates. Annual rates are often cheaper still.

OK to get an idea of which are the cheaper marinas in the area but not really good for end cost. Also, particularly as you go south (florida in particular), there may be an additional liveaboard cost assessed.

It's a good starting point but really no way other than checking on individual marina websites, email or phone.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 23:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

If you're in a cheap little boat on a fixed income budget (think senior citizen on social security and no other retirement) you'll be looking closely at the particular marina costs and areas as a big percentage of costs. But if you've got a retirement (military 20+ or other retirement) and you've saved enough of a nest egg to get a good size and typical cruising boat or even a nice trawler, the cost of the boat maintenance and use costs are going to exceed your marina fees entirely that you won't be comparing marina A to marina B at all. I suggest you just ballpark them, call a couple marinas in places you think you might like and go from there.
Old 23-07-2016, 04:26   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Cost of living index in an area is the cost of living doesn't matter if on land or a boat.
Old 23-07-2016, 06:02   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

36' liveaboard @ Jacksonville Beach FL is $670 a month out the door (dock, electricity [30a] and water)
Old 23-07-2016, 06:36   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

retired military are allowed to keep boats in military oriented marinas at a lower fee than real people--see fiddlers cove in san diego.. there are these lovely marinas all over usa. might want to investigate that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:04   #8

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
retired military are allowed to keep boats in military oriented marinas at a lower fee than real people--see fiddlers cove in san diego.. there are these lovely marinas all over usa. might want to investigate that.
They are out there but hard to find. Some have dedicated web sites, others are buried under the messy MWR websites. I did find one, fifteen years ago, in Hawaii near Honolulu IIRC. The prices were amazing.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:05   #9

Wow, ActiveCaptain is something else.

For instance, I looked at SC. It lists about 60 areas, then in one of those areas there must have been 20 marinas!

I will check into the military base marinas as well.

Thanks for the help.
Old 23-07-2016, 07:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
They are out there but hard to find. Some have dedicated web sites, others are buried under the messy MWR websites. I did find one, fifteen years ago, in Hawaii near Honolulu IIRC. The prices were amazing.
A military resource that's a pain to find or make use of? You're kidding!

lol
Old 23-07-2016, 07:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are commercial websites that have MWR facilities listed, usually campgrounds, but Marina's also, they are not as common place as I'd like them to be.
If anyone is interested it's a MWR resource, MWR stands for Morale Welfare and Recreation, interesting thing about MWR is it is 100% supported by the Military members, not one penny of taxpayers money is ever spent.

To use them you have to either active duty, retired or in some circumstances National Guard and Reserve, also DOD civilians are allowed.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:32   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

NAS Jax has a nice marina on the St Johns.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 08:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
People always think the military retirees are getting such a better deal than they are. Might have used to be that way, but no longer. LOL.

My husband is retired military. Fiddler's Cove and other MRW facilities are required (now since about 1990) to price things with comps from similar civilian recreational services. No longer is it super cheap. FC pricing is similar to dock fees that members of San Diego area yacht clubs pay for their boats. If you're going to have a boat in San Diego for a long time, or in a lot of places, paying the upfront fee to join a YC is going to pay off because the slip fees are so much lower.

Fiddlers Cove only allows active duty members of the military to live aboard. Some military marinas don't allow any liveaboards at all.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:20   #14
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@zeehag

How are the costs down your way? Comparing expat option...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:16   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
I will check into the military base marinas as well.
FL: NAS Jax has one, Patrick AFB has one. Also maybe Boca Chica or Sigsbee down in/near Key West.

NC: Might be one at Cherry Point in NC, can't remember... and I think there's one at Lejeune.

-Chris

Tags
dock, Docking