Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 07:39   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Leading a Double Life - Liveaboard/Cruiser

We're wondering how others balance this double life and if they manage to meld them into one. This is no Jekyll and Hyde double life for us, but a shift from one to another of our good choices. In one life we anchor out, kayak, read books, explore new shores, beachcomb and sail. In our other life we are at a marina with shore power, watch some TV news and movies, rent cars for land trips, and spend time with family and friends. Each phase of our double lives can last from two to six months and after a time we're yearning to shift from one to the other.

So, what about the rest of you liveaboard-cruisers? Are you leading a double life?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:53   #2

Hmm, hadn't really thought about it that way, but yes, we do too. But I'd define the double as rustic / civilized. I like to get away to pristine places (which by definition have no trace of civilization, so we're going to anchor) but then like to return to the comforts of society, whether in a marina, on a mooring, or on the hook. Our cycles may be shorter than yours - we like a break from the world at least every few weeks, even if just for a long weekend.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04   #3

I've been cruising in SE Asia and commuting back to California for a few weeks at a time ... maybe 6 weeks cruising, 3 weeks of fun with the family and friends. It's okay. There's no balance issue. On the whole the cruising life is way more satisfying. And 20 hour airline rides are uncomfortable, rude, and expensive. It's what must be done right now for a whole variety of reasons. Last time home I did my taxes. Sometimes I go home and take a vacation, heh, like europe or the mountains.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard