Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 10:28   #1

Kitchenware

I'm looking for some advice concerning kitchenware. When we got our Westsail 32 almost 3 months ago the previous owners left some items. I noticed the flatware had begun to rust. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be best to replace it with. This stuff isn't even stainless steel. Should I buy inexpensive flatware and just get used to replacing it periodically. Or should I invest in something better. Our boat is currently on the hard while we are updating the systems. Once were done we will be living aboard and cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dbtindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 10:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Kitchenware

We have inexpensive stainless now, plan on taking the good stuff from the house when we leave. We have had it since we were first married, about the first thing I bought, I'm not throwing that away. Real SS doesn't rust, I guess the cheap stuff does.
However I have found ceramic knives to be better than I thought and not that expensive really, cutting knives, not dinner wear of course.
We bought stackable pots and pans that use the same lid, I bought her a good pressure cooker, that she rarely uses cause its new and we really don't know what we are doing but I think it will become familiar.
Plates and bowls etc we use Corelle, plastic cups and glasses, although I think I will take some crystal wine glasses for special occasions.
The vacuseal food sealer is very useful, and a portable 120 VAC ice maker gets used a lot.

We are not yet full time either
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 10:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We have inexpensive stainless now, plan on taking the good stuff from the house when we leave. We have had it since we were first married, about the first thing I bought, I'm not throwing that away.
However I have found ceramic knives to be better than I thought and not that expensive really, cutting knives, not dinner wear of course.
Thanks for that as the ceramic knives were another question on my long list.
Old 13-10-2016, 11:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a really nice spare set from home on the boat, stainless with copper bottoms. Frying pan is some white none stick stuff not the usual black, not cheap but easy to clean and has lasted well.

A few really good pans are worth far more than lots of cheap ones especially if you plan on living on board. Mugs are china and plates and bowls posh plastic but they came with the boat. Glasses are plastic with 2 posh glass ones for special occasions.

If you going offshore and the weather might change a pair of dog bowls are better than plates for eating off. Easy clean and don't spill.

I am not happy with the knives and forks so plan to changes these to a nice set that fall easily to hand. Don't need many so again will prefer a good quality set.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 11:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you going offshore and the weather might change a pair of dog bowls are better than plates for eating off. Easy clean and don't spill.
I understand the logic, but I don't think I'll suggest that to the Admiral.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 11:49   #6

SS utensils and ceramic coated knives.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 11:52   #7

Boat: PT-11

Our scanpan pots/pans have stood up extremely well but pricey. I would avoid cheap nonstick and prefer solid stainless instead and just put the elbow grease in. You can't really sharpen a ceramic knife and they are far too brittle. Bring some good metal knives and for god's sake bring a few sharpeners. Our knives are razor sharp but I can't tell you how many friends unwittingly suffer through knives that won't cut anything.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:04   #8

Some stainlessware is far better than others. I can taste the bad stuff. Not sure how to tell you to find the right stuff though, but the good stuff usually has very smooth edges etc and shines brightly vs dull.
For pans I like the simple Revere ware, they make a set with extra deep saucepans... nice on tilting stoves! Most 3 burner stoves wont take 3 pans if one is big. Deep helps with that also.
Not had a rust issue with real SS knives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1519662...&ul_noapp=true

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:05   #9

Quote:
We have a really nice spare set from home on the boat, stainless with copper bottoms. Frying pan is some white none stick stuff not the usual black, not cheap but easy to clean and has lasted well.

A few really good pans are worth far more than lots of cheap ones especially if you plan on living on board. Mugs are china and plates and bowls posh plastic but they came with the boat. Glasses are plastic with 2 posh glass ones for special occasions.

I am not happy with the knives and forks so plan to changes these to a nice set that fall easily to hand. Don't need many so again will prefer a good quality set.
Thanks for the info Pete. Maybe now my boyfriend will believe me when I suggest/recommend we invest in better quality on some items. I just don't want to waste money on things that won't last. I especially appreciate info from the more experienced liveaboard cruisers. Any suggestions on kitchen items would be helpful.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:09   #10

Quote:

We are going offshore.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:15   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

use what you want. ss rusts. glass breaks. plastic breaks--everything is fail.
just go with what you are comfortable with as all else is a scam or con trying to get you to spend more dough than you need to spend.
my personal favorite is plasticware and paper plates, but----as that renders me socially unacceptable, i have changed to walmart cutlery and corelle or melamine plates. gag i so prefer a good paper.
unless i am eating a usa style steak or ribs or overindulge in juicy meat, then it is ss from wallys and corelle haha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I understand the logic, but I don't think I'll suggest that to the Admiral.
Did I say I used to be single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbtindale View Post
Any suggestions on kitchen items would be helpful.
I am still looking for a left hand potato peeler

A pressure cooker is a good item to have on board. We don't use ours much because at home Viv uses a steamer, but I grew up with mum using a PC so have one too.

The one item we need to use more is a slow cooker, its a small 2 people sized item, but at 120w @230v thats about the same power requirements as our solar panels produce so do-able. The larger ones are too power hungry but a small one well that's an option.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:22   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

You want to look for 18/10 stainless flatware. More expensive but well worth the cost. Also dry everything very well.
Think of it this way, when you need to replace the cheap stuff you may find nothing available or at the same cost for better stuff at home.
I think the biggest way to preserve what you have is to use it. Dont take more than you can actually use so nothing sits long enough to corrode.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:26   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbtindale View Post
Thanks for the info Pete. Maybe now my boyfriend will believe me when I suggest/recommend we invest in better quality on some items.
Quite, if your camping for a fortnight it doesn't matter, but if you are living on board then copper bottom pans heat quicker and good quality knives and forks are just nicer to handle. Food is really important offshore because there is not much else to do on a long trip, so cook.

Pete
Old 13-10-2016, 12:30   #15

Boat: islandpacket

When eating off cheap plastic plates and bowls, I feel like I'm camping or on a picnic. Better quality kitchenware givies me the feeling of being home and permanence. I like Correll pie plates for the higher sides. Keeps things from slipping off.
You need to make this your home, but boat friendly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app