Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 07:36   #1

Icebox disaster

So the lid on the icebox on our Beneteau 321 slipped out of the hook that holds it against the wall removing the tip of my wife's finger.

Question: anyone know of a hydraulic arm that will work in the icebox to keep it open?

My wife is adamant that we come up with a failsafe solution, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Stpetrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:04   #2

Re: Icebox disaster

I used a spring hatch support like they sell. They work well, but if you bang the spring while it is up it may come down!
https://www.hardwaresource.com/hatch...hoCMP4QAvD_BwE

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:27   #3

Thank you for the response. First thing I thought of, but i know i would hit it and bring it down.
Stpetrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:46   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

https://www.guden.com/Control/Gas-Springs

Guden has a large range of stainless gas springs and hardware. Getting the geometry right will require some planning. They have a large range of connecting hardware as well.

You will have to decide if you want to use one or two dampers. Two will get in the way if the box opens to the side, one will put some additional forces on the hinge away from the spring/damper.

I have used Guden in a past life (15 years ago) for gas springs, dampers, and hinges.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:52   #5

The spring support is the worst thing you can use. I have one on my chart table lid and it usually bends and lets the chart table fall on my head when Im digging around in there.
A gas strut is what you need. They are common and cheap. You will just need to get the right size and proper(strong) mounts for it. West sells them and also you can find them in SS.
maybe this link will work:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lift-o-M...FQvuZAod6o0PtA
pau-hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 09:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stpetrie View Post
Thank you for the response. First thing I thought of, but i know i would hit it and bring it down.
There are also hatch supports that slide and have a thumbscrew to set in place. The big model spring support doesn't collapse as easy as the little 1/2" diameter one.
One problem with a pneumatic is they require some force and it may cave in the fiberglass/plastic lid where you mount it. Now sure how low a psi you can get in those... and how small!
This Japanese Sugatsune stuff is high quality. https://www.houzz.com/product/782354...xoCL3AQAvD_BwE

Old 31-07-2018, 09:05   #7

Ours is simple - a screw in the lid - a string with a loop attached to the bulkhead behind the fridge. On opening it just hook the loop onto the screw head, it holds until you unloop it. No elegant, but functional, and cheap!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 09:35   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Ours was just as simple. A strap attached to the wall, with a snap on the end. Then a snap on the side of the refrigerator lid. Open it, attach the strap to hold it open. Unsnap and close. The strap was madness one inch wide clear eisenglass. It attached to the wall with a snap as well.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 10:24   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I just saw these too:

https://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-l..._list_limit=36
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:02   #10

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stpetrie View Post
So the lid on the icebox on our Beneteau 321 slipped out of the hook that holds it against the wall removing the tip of my wife's finger.

Question: anyone know of a hydraulic arm that will work in the icebox to keep it open?

My wife is adamant that we come up with a failsafe solution, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Best wishes to your wife. Next to the stove and knives, the refer & freezer lids are the most dangerous thing in my galley. Mine have the springs and no matter how careful I am, I will occasionally hit it and drop the lid. Learned my lesson, never put my fingers over the edge. It’s bad enough to have it come down on my head, I don’t need broken fingers or, as your poor mate suffered, even worse. I just retired and am prepping for Mexico. Hydraulic rams are on the upgrade list. I have a lazarette lid in the cockpit I’d like to add one to also.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:06   #11

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post

Didn’t see any stainless steel, they’ed be a rusty mess in no time.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:25   #12

The problem with many lids is they have thick insulation, so there's little room to mount a strut of any kind.

Old 31-07-2018, 11:46   #13

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

The beneteau 423 came with 2 gas shocks.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 15:49   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So sorry about your wife's finger.

If you look at the strap-and-snap method, I think that one that goes from the corner of the splash rail and stove housing to the best place on the bulkhead would work for you. Use the s/s studs that screw in to the timber, and the the corresponding sockets. I would use nylon webbing for the strap, maybe 2 " wide, and a pair of snaps at each end. It may be a bit overkill, 1" would probably do, but at the moment, overkill might sound appropriate to you guys! Your choice as to where to stow it when not in use, but snapped up to the bulkhead makes some sense, so it is easy to access. It could also be done with a bungee cord and pad eye, but would make cleaning up fussy around the pad eye.

Ann
Old 31-07-2018, 17:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you could just remove the hinges and have the hatch lift off and placed to one side
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icebox