Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 21:57   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Hey Berg,
Why don't you make a list of boats from Maine to Florida. FLY to Maine then rent a car and drive south.That way you could take your time and not wear yourself out.Every day or so you could be in a new Port town and look at boats. I might just do that myself. If you found what you wanted you could turn in the rental car and motor the boat down the ICW all the way to FL.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 22:00   #17

I had to go thru something similar with the USCG Doc folks because my seller was a total ......... Ended up having to sign some statement that bascially personally guaranteed the title blah, blah .... ended up being easier than dealing with the idiot broker and his ... client.

Call the USCG Doc center ... they are quite reasonable and helpful.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 05:59   #18

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Definitely check both DMV and USGC . That boat could have been places and could have come from places.

It is a reduction of more than 20 k on the average selling price.

I would look into it as well, but tread extremely carefully as at some point you mentioned plans to take it into international waters in which case a DMV registration depending on where you go may not be enough and yoi need to be sure to be able to get a flag on it .
Old 20-02-2011, 08:47   #19
cruiser

yea, not interested in giong to maine or anywhere near north of south carolina... and as for flying and touring around, that is not feasible... I have a stupid cat...

and yea, i will call the dmv and uscg on how to gegister a boat and or find a lost title???

thanks

two days and counting for my exodus... sitting a waiting... today i will lose my refrigerator, and tv...

nothing left but my laundry and packing hte blazer and cat and hitting hte road...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 09:36   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
how did you get this? where did you get the name? How did you search, what did you search? dang... i used to be so good with computers and all that logic stuff...
I followed the link that you could not open, typed in the documentation number somebody else provided, did a screen grab, pasted it in a Word file and then saved it as a.pdf. Simple!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 10:11   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Go to "OFFICE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY" and click on "find by Official Number". Enter the documentation number (544170) and you will get a list of previous owners. Good Luck!

where did you get the registration number?
Old 20-02-2011, 10:12   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I followed the link that you could not open, typed in the documentation number somebody else provided, did a screen grab, pasted it in a Word file and then saved it as a.pdf. Simple!
how come i couldnt open the links? i just reformatted and installed windows 7 again.. should be prefect and ready for all this stuff i am still haveing problems with..

and where did the 'boat/registration' number come from... how come i am havig so much problems..

damnit
Old 20-02-2011, 10:15   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For anyone else who isn't able to access the information, here's what you should see:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 10.04.12 AM.png
Views:	145
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	23979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 10.02.59 AM.png
Views:	123
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	23980  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 10.03.21 AM.png
Views:	137
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	23981  
Old 20-02-2011, 10:18   #24

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Be aware that the office of science and technology posting may not post the whole story on the vessel. When I bought my boat a lien had to be satisfied by paperwork from the 1980's, which no one was aware of. Then my state would not accept the docs because it had a bogus hin of 99. Office of science and technology and my state required rubbings of the hin, pictures of the hin,stern, and posted docs, $84 and I'm still waiting for cleared docs, through a broker, then myself since September. It's not always cut and dried. That said, the feds are very helpful and will help you clear title, if treated respectfully. It would be best to doc vessel if you're ever leaving the US, and register in your state of choice.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 10:21   #25
cruiser

duringthis time/process, can you moor the boat at a marina? or get insurance?
Old 20-02-2011, 10:23   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
duringthis time/process, can you moor the boat at a marina? or get insurance?
Most marinas require insurance. You'll have to ask.
Old 20-02-2011, 10:24   #27
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Leave it where it's moored now, if possible, but it's highly unlikely that you'll ever obtain insurance on an almost 40 year-old vessel.

TaoJones
Old 20-02-2011, 10:34   #28

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Bergovoy,
You didn't look closley enough at the photos........the lefthand photo in the bottom row show the numbers on the bulkhead in the v berth.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 10:46   #29

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I also just read through the text of the ad.......it gives his email address and his phone number......contact him and get start a conversation. If he "lost" the original paperwork, he may be able to provide you with enough information to research the previous owner.
I see that he bought it at auction...there must be a paper trail there somewhere.
If not, contact the DMV and ask about the possibility of a "salvage" title.
If you can get a certfied bill of sale from him, you may not have to bother with a title. Get a USCG documentation, and you do not need a title. As a matter of fact, it is illegal to title a documented vessel.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:50   #30
cruiser

why would it be illegal to title a vessel, cg or not? hmmm... nothing like learning a new bueracracy..

and damn, i had to blow up the picture to see that... my eyes are shot... i had PERFECT vision all my life... i started wearing glasses a while ago and they were perfect.. i could see miles and miles and pick out sharp SHARP details.

so, i figured how about getting lasik.. no ore glasses and better then contacts and better then 20-20.. i paid extra for some custom cornea wave front technolgy bs...

bottom line, i see worst now... nothing is in focus.. maybe fleeting focus, but very fleeting... vision moves in and out... and eyes get tired quickly... reading books is damn near impossible.... i can read the internet if i zoom in for blind readers........

anyways, just add that to tht list of things that are wrong with me... that i hate...

i did send an email to the boat owner and am waiting... i didnt call him yet uyntil i got some info from you guys to make sure i can ask all the stuff i need to...