Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 13:33   #31

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
It may be too late - the posting has been pulled by the seller.
Old 20-02-2011, 14:08   #32
cruiser

yea, no worries.. hopefuly he got what he could out of it...

I will be in florida in less then 10 days or so... I will start my SERIOUS shopping effort then... too bad it will cost me a few months of rent in an apartment/house rental...

oh well...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 15:40   #33

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The posting is still there.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/2218660742.html

And I just talked to the guy on the phone and he's going back to the auction local and trying to get a new title.

Ya better hurry! It sounds like he's got others interested.................
Old 20-02-2011, 16:50   #34
cruiser

well, the link isnt working for me, but so far i am missingout a few links... not sure if it is jsut me or not, but oh well..

and I have learned that everyone has someone interested... if he sells it great... good for him.. i am sure there will be another somewhere.

also, i cant tell what the draft is, and as it is a bigger boat then i am used to looking at, i am assuming it is a bigger draft/deeper draft...

It maybe ok and all that, and i am sure i will get used to it.... just sayin...

I am so anxiousto get the eff out of here right now...

the dayghter came back today to help her bf move the refrig and tv, and her bed, but after 1 hour, she is getting all moody and i find out they are texting and they are breaking up... so now she took off to deal with him...

I guess i understand her priorities... one hand-- never seeing her father again, the other hand, a bf that has been on and off again since day one, (Meaning the last 4 months)

oh well... gotta go and get out here and let her figure stuff oiut..
Old 20-02-2011, 17:17   #35

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
As for insurance, liability is all thats required at marinas (not mine), and you can get it without clear title. I repeat, I believe it's better to have US documentation, and a state registration. Especially if you're leaving the states. Not to leave, but for the return hassle.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 20:33   #36
cruiser

Re: How to Find a Title ?

us documentation as in uscg documentation...and i thought if you had uscg documentation you didnt need state registration?
Old 20-02-2011, 21:20   #37
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The following is from the USCG National Documentation Center FAQs:
Quote:
IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?

No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.
All the FAQs are here: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

TaoJones
Old 20-02-2011, 21:49   #38

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Thanks Tao. In a nutshell USCG Documentation is a one time fee with yearly free paperwork updates unless there is a change in name, port, ownership, etc. States charge a yearly registration fee, but are not allowed to title a Documented vessel. It may sound a little confusing, but is understood by most licensing agents in maritime areas, As for the daughter,sorry. Just be thankful you haven't ended up with the children, it changes plans. ha
Old 21-02-2011, 00:04   #39
cruiser

thanks, and yes, im confused, but will figure it out when i get to that point.

as for the daughter.. not sure what you mean endingup with teh children... I did end up with her.. i rasied her as a primary care giver/custodial parent. and now she is 18 and all growed up...

anyways...

another story in a different thread
Old 21-02-2011, 21:00   #40

Sorry about the child reference, it was pertaining to my own situation. After retiring and raising three daughters, We've been in the system raising 2 grandsons for 3 1/2 years. Still waiting for adoption and having gotten a larger boat we're looking forward to cruising again soon. Sorry if I upset you
Old 22-02-2011, 01:19   #41
cruiser

no, not upset, just a little confused...

I spent the day packing today... packing everythng onto my car... it's all set... just a couple little boxes of stuff and some final brooming, and tossing out the chair i slept on... thne wait for a real estate agent to call me and or show up and then hit the road...

I am stoked, and scared... and bummed... oh my!
Old 22-02-2011, 10:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
us documentation as in uscg documentation...and i thought if you had uscg documentation you didnt need state registration?
If you have USCG documentation then you do not need a state issued title for your boat. Some states--Florida being one of them--will still require you to register the boat even if it is USCG documented. The registration will cost less than $200 per year (that's the cost for something like a 100+ foot boat). You will have to display a registration decal on the boat, but you will not need to display registration numbers.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:19   #43
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If you have USCG documentation then you do not need a state issued title for your boat. Some states--Florida being one of them--will still require you to register the boat even if it is USCG documented. The registration will cost less than $200 per year (that's the cost for something like a 100+ foot boat). You will have to display a registration decal on the boat, but you will not need to display registration numbers.
Actually, having both a state and federal title would be illegal, and displaying state-issued numbers on a USCG-documented vessel is also illegal. Registering with a state, which many states require (whether or not the boat is documented) is not the same thing as titling with the state.

TaoJones
Old 24-02-2011, 17:47   #44
cruiser

ok, i went back and re read it, yes, title, and registration are two different things...

thanks

b