Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 07:26   #1

How to deal with not having a physical address while cruising

I was wondering how cruisers deal with not having a "physical" mailing address. The bank and credit card company is telling me I have to have one and they will not accept a P.O. box. Social Security Administration (retiring soon) will probably want one as well. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Janusz
januszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:30   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How to deal with not having a physical address while cruising

Several threads on this subject. Here is one:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=208306

Establishing Residency via St. Brendan's Isle, Escapees etc
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:39   #3

Good review of different mail services here: https://www.sailingtotem.com/2016/07...-cruisers.html
DrRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Actually Social security is not a problem, without a physical address. At least not yet.

Myself, I had paypal and walmart mail me a prepaid card (at the time free) to a friends address. I used the paperwork that came with it to open a bank account. No problem. I did not actually use either service. As they were acting as financial services, I did not need utility bills. After the bank account was opened, I changed my mailing address to the PO box. No problem.

IRS accepts a PO BOX, if that is all you have. As long as they have your $$$, no problem.

My Drivers license even lists my PO Box as that is actually my only mailing address, though I did list a slip number and marina address as physical address for the DMV. Of course I'm not there anymore, but then I don't own a car either.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:33   #5

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Agree with sailorchic - we too have used a marina slip as the physical address for any state entities (Washington) that required one. We have not been in that physical address for over 2 years - but that is what it still says on my state DL. Will probably continue to use the same slip # as it is also the marina where our mail service is located.

We use a local mail service for any entity that can handle a PO box, which includes most things we do. DocksideMail - they are really great:

https://www.docksidemail.com/

Bank, Medicare, SS, all professional contacts (eg. Dr, dentist, etc) are all fine with just a mailing address.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:41   #6

Thank you all for this great/useful info.

Janusz
januszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:31   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have mom and a brother and a sister so i always have someone to mooch off.. err an address with a faithful family member. all my usa mail is spozed to go to my momma or brother. some still goes to downwind marine, in sd. they are great folks. i recommend them for all your cruising needs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 13:18   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Choose your desired State for your Legal Domicile, solve that first.

Best IMO is a real S&B residence, ideally with a trusted and stable friend or family.

The Mailing Address can then be anywhere, but a letterbox service near your domicile address raises fewer eyebrows.

Best if all government and financial databases are all consistent, just showing those two across the board.

Some like Escapees and SBI can in theory and at least for now provide both, but they may not offer your state of choice.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 00:14   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have been using St Brendan's Isle for 12 years. No issues as it is not a po box. Just like a house number with an apartment number.
As for credit cards ect we talk to our credit card companies and tell them where we are and what our plans are so they do not hold payments as they seem out of bounds. When we lost a card they mailed it to our land address and we had a discussion with them about our being on "vacation" in the foreign country and need the card so they overnighted it to us.
We have had no real issues and love SBI.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13   #10

Shouldn't you set up residence address in the state with the best tax advantages for your particular situation?

Seems like UPS deliveries would be quite troublesome!
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:14   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The easy solution is to use a friend's address. Better be a reliable good friend because he will need to filter out the junk and periodically e-mail or call you about anything that needs your attention. There are many commercial mail drops but they will not filter anything and will need an address to periodically foreward everything. That address can be general delivery or a PO box. Financial institutions generally require a physical address as do many government agencies like the IRS. Of course, if you have a home base the post office can hold your mail hile you cruise.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26   #12

Boat: L420

We’ve used St Brennan’s. It’s amazing how much mail you receive when you begin cruising. Just when I thought I had all my correspondence set for electronic delivery, another would show up. The service isn’t free by any means, but was a life saver - especially with state tax filings and a marina that decided to continue charging my credit card and sent a ‘mailed’ monthly bill. Without the SB service, and the ability to look at our ‘snail mail’ every month or so we would have been in a real pickle. We used USPS general delivery to a future port of call for parts and forwarded SB isle mail. Do call and confirm the PO can handle this task and knows your estimated pickup. Some don’t provide this service, some will just return it to sender in a day or so if you haven’t notified them in advance.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:47   #13

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobinson View Post
Good review of different mail services here: https://www.sailingtotem.com/2016/07...-cruisers.html

I don't know where they got their info or what they are including in a price of $303 for St. Brendan's mail service. I have them and pay $100 a year. I only use them for essentials, otherwise I do everything online. I make sure Dr, Humana, boat ins, car ins, soc sec, banking are all paperless.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:34   #14

Been using St. Brendan's Isle for five years. Love the scanning options. They are extremely helpful in answering any questions and/or concerns. Well worth the money. Highly recommend (plus you won't be imposing on a friend or family member who may get weary handling your personal mail).
Scott N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 13:01   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The Domicile Residential address does not receive much or any mail at all once it's set up.

Every important provider / agency's database lets you use a separate Mailing address, and don't care where it is. But IMO should be near your DR, and there are often dozens per state, can change anytime, not a critical thing like the DR.

Using any commercial service for the DR now may be fine for the likes of Escapees and SBI with lawyers available to help sort out occasional glitches as with voting issues recently.

But IMO as the REAL ID and money flow regs keep tightening up, a friend or family DR is the safest option to avoid future problems.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising