Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 20:51   #1

Part time Live aboard

Hello Fellow Cruisers,
The purpose of this post is to seek insight and opinions from those who have experience in what I am looking to do. I am 47 years old and I have boated for about 20 years in the waters in and around Long Island, NY. I am coming to the tail end of my career preparing to retire within the next 5 years. I have owned a 23 ft Jones Brother CF, 26 ft Grady White, and most recently 310 Sundancer. I have spent many hours offshore fishing but enjoy cruising now. I have my 6 Pack License and my ASA Bareboart Cert. I did a week long charter in the BVI's and I'm hooked.

My friends Billy and Seirra are youtubers living and travelling on their Cat. They can be seen on Tulas Endless Summer. Although they are much younger than I, I admire their courage for not following the social norm. of working a 9x5.

I was originally planning on purchasing a Condo in Florida to go down for weeks at time and for extended weekends. Flights are relatively cheap but the thought of purchasing a 38 Lagoon Cat keeps entering my mind.

The question is do you think it's prudent to purchase a boat and keep it in Florida to live aboard when I am off until I retire and can cruise for extended periods? The boat will be kept on the hard in between usage. Until I retire it will be on the hard more than in the water but I would be paying it off sooner as I continue to work or just continue to charter until I am retired and then purchase a boat.

I plan on relocating to Florida (East Coast) and fleeing the Northeast the minute I do retire. The purpose of moving to the east coast is to be able better able or more quickly able to cross to the Bahamas and beyond.

Thank you in advance
Tultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 01:08   #2

Re: Part time Live aboard

Probably better to sock that money into a savings account and have a nest egg when you’re ready to make the move instead of trying to own an asset that requires maintenance from a distance.

You’d be burning some money for storage, maintenance, haul-outs, and travel in the mean time.

Cheaper to rent in the mean time.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 03:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tultime.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 05:55   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I also feel that the part time stuff with boat storage and maintenance and up keep it a money waster. So what you really need to do is add up the costs of boat storage/maintenance/dockage etc. to the cost of renting the condo.

There of course you have to apply the “its worth it to me” factor.
Old 23-02-2020, 07:15   #5

You talk about "paying off" the boat sooner while you are working.

It is never "prudent" to borrow money to buy a depreciating asset. Especially one that costs a mint to keep in good kit.

You'll be happier in the long run if you have more money when you go cruising. It will cost more than you think.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:06   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

I don't much care for the idea of having to launch and haul each time you want to use the boat and living on the hard sucks. You could also find that you'll be spending most of your vacations maintaining that boat. Unless you come across some screaming deal in the meantime (not likely with a Cat) keep your powder dry until you're ready to make the jump permanently. Buy the condo - at least you'll have an asset that's appreciating.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:20   #7

Boat: Tartan 3000

Long Island sound is great sailing especially for a beginner. You can have a 6 month season. Probably get in more sailing than having the boat in Florida.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:27   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Long Island sound is great sailing especially for a beginner. You can have a 6 month season. Probably get in more sailing than having the boat in Florida.
LIS is better sailing than “Florida” !

except for a few places there isn't a lot of Florida locations to be based out of that truly often good sailing with variety imo.
Old 23-02-2020, 09:53   #9

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

I am currently trying this myself. But I am commuting from Alaska to North Carolina. But I keep my cat in the water. Another to keep in mind is takes about a week every time I go down to prep the boat for use. It takes a full day and some to clean the outside. Can be a day or two for the inside if any mold growth happens. Clothes left behind need washed. Water tank needs cleaned. And always something that has to be fixed. ALWAYS! Being in Florida might take longer if you remove any canvas or have to undo any preparation you did for hurricanes.

And I can testify it is not cheap. insurance will require a caretaker most likely. Haul out fees are not cheap. More and more yards are capable of hauling cats but still you can be limited on choice of yards.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:23   #10

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
LIS is better sailing than “Florida” !

except for a few places there isn't a lot of Florida locations to be based out of that truly often good sailing with variety imo.
This is great information. Why is it better do you think? More interesting things to sail to? Can you expand on why it’s more interesting ( not that that matters to the OP, I am just curious)
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:45   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
This is great information. Why is it better do you think? More interesting things to sail to? Can you expand on why it’s more interesting ( not that that matters to the OP, I am just curious)
More places to go tp see, do, and stop at. Florida has only a few good outlets and once out all you can do is do a circle and cone back in. And for both the in and out you have to be aware of the current and condition that inlet is going to have.
Old 23-02-2020, 10:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Long Island sound is over 100 miles of semi-protected waters ending with Gardiner's Bay, Block Island Sound. The whole coast of Connecticut is full of harbors large and small. Many destinations for a weekend or a week.

East Coast of Florida...once you are out of the ICW into the Atlantic, where can you go for a lunch stopover or a dinner and then sail home?
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:53   #13

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Long Island sound is over 100 miles of semi-protected waters ending with Gardiner's Bay, Block Island Sound. The whole coast of Connecticut is full of harbors large and small. Many destinations for a weekend or a week.

East Coast of Florida...once you are out of the ICW into the Atlantic, where can you go for a lunch stopover or a dinner and then sail home?
Ah ok, great info. Thanks!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:26   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Just an off beat suggestion. You can buy a condo, say in Cape Coral or house, with a slip. Rent the condo or house and have the boat available when you want it. Get enough in rent to cover the bodacious taxes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 13:53   #15

money in investments can go up or down!
Used boats values go down. Evan the new boat is used as soon as you buy it.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote