Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 19:56   #1

Houston anyone?

A unique opportunity may be presented in which I could relocate within the company I currently work for to the Houston area. The best part is, it would include a 10k relo bonus. As discussed in other posts, I'm brand new to the sailing world, so try not to laugh too hard.

Is it possible to obtain something that floats for 10k or less, which also can be used as housing for the myself, the Mrs. and child? What does 10k get a person for a floating trainwreck? It's an 18 month lock in down in Houston. During that time period, we could pay off any/all outstanding debt and sell off both our houses. From there it's basically finding the right boat (not the trainwreck) to cruise the globe.

Can the pipedream work?
Old 03-12-2008, 20:21   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Most definitely...there are a ton of boats... some train wrecks and some not half bad trains that might actually move in that price range..and there is always the good deal for half that amount somewhere....most will be 30' and smaller on the sail boat side but for your first 18 month jag I would also not rule out power..That market is dead dead right now and a 35 cabin cruiser will have twice the squar footage of a 35 sail...Then once your financially liquid from whatever real estate your selling you have way more time to look around at your bug out boat.

Live aboard slips are getting harder and harder to find though.

Good Luck

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If your goal for Houston is nothing more that a floating home you might also look at houseboats. However, depending on the design and condition I might not even take some houseboats into the Intracoastal Waterway, much less anywhere near the ocean, even on a calm day.

Good luck,
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:46   #4

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Projectfiji

At Bayland Marina in Baytown, (20 minutes from Houston) there is a 36' Hunter Sailboat for $20K. Damn good buy.

Also there is a 51' houseboat going for around $5000. if memory serves right; It needs work.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50   #5

Right now... there are a ton of boats in that price range and much less going at auction...... beware that they are mostly "insurance totals" from the Ike aftermath. Many of these boats that I've looked at are in excellent structural condition. The engine/mechanical/eletrical are questionable/untested.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:55   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You seem to have 2 houses for sale. have you heard about the housing market lately? There are lots of deals in the Houston area after Ike so finding something should not be a problem, however you are going to have to go there and spend some time looking. I am not sure about your wife but mine would not live amidst a train wreck for very long, then what? Apartments are very inexpensive in the area so by the time you buy for 10K, spend monthly slip rent, etc. then try and get rid of this wreck that no one will want later you have more than spent what a comfortable pleasant apartment would cost and you would still have the same in the bank with earnings and maybe the eventual sale of property at a much reduced price. Think logically about it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:58   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I might also want to add that many of the marinas are going to be less than willing to allow you to park a train wreck at their docks, so keep that in mind also. They all require you carry insurance on the boat so it needs to be insurable to some extent. There is more here than just buying a cheap boat. Houston is cold in the winter. With a family that boat will need heat and the summers are hot so it better have air conditioning, and the list goes on if you plan to live aboard with a family.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
houston