Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 09:25   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Help Needed

Search CF for threads on importing a boat into Australia. Covered comprehensively.

http://www.importayacht.com.au/

CONTACT US | TO IMPORT YOUR BOAT | FROM THE USA
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 09:32   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2012 View Post
. I wish I can afford a new boat, but for what I want, $250,000 does not get me far.

Say what
Old 25-10-2012, 09:52   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help Needed

If your buying in the States or Caribbean $20,000 will not get it shipped or delivered...
I'm one of the cheapest on the market and it would come to around $30K when you take into consideration waiting time to transit the Panama...
Then there's the other expenses you'd have to cover like food, fuel, breakdowns etc...
Its not like a day sail down the coast.. no fixed ETA's crossing oceans..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:04   #19

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
...but for what I want, $250,000 does not get me far.
Sigh...
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:06   #20

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

I think you should hire David Old Jersey as a personal assistant to find and buy your boat for you. Then have Lovemywoodie to be the captain and give you lessons. Then put your seatbelt on and hang on for dear life!!!!lol
Nomadgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgurl View Post
I think you should hire David Old Jersey as a personal assistant to find and buy your boat for you. Then have Lovemywoodie to be the captain and give you lessons. Then put your seatbelt on and hang on for dear life!!!!lol
+A1

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:31   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
I must be doing something wrong!
Old 25-10-2012, 10:38   #23

I guess it would depend on how long it will take. And I do have some misgivings about sailing with a complete stranger for weeks on end in the ocean. And someone has to get to work in Australia to pay for the boat and that would have to be me. I have to be in Australia by November 27t, 2012. But if the fees for transport are too high I will consider sailing it over with someone who knows what they are doing (because as a novice I am still pretty useless).

I like the idea of starting on a cat. I've read (in the past two days) that they are more likely to be blown sideways than monolhulls. I've found Lavezzis all over the world so far. One, in Greece, said that the boat has 800 engine hours and was not chartered until 2011. Then the very next boat is the same year, the same model, the same pictures, the same everything, but this one has 2450 hrs. I guess I have to expect a lot of lies. It is a bit like buying a used car, except that if your used car is no good you don't sink and die!!
Newbie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:45   #24

@ Nomadgurl - LOL, that's pretty funny!!!

@ everyone else - if you think I can get a new boat for $250,000 that is a good beginner boat, that I can live aboard on, that has good ventilation, that is a good rough water boat, that has solar panels, that can fit 8-10 people, please let me know. I am extremely open minded and would consider anything reasonable.

Even if I paid $30,000 for transport I would still be paying less than buying it in Australia!!!
Old 25-10-2012, 10:54   #25

Downunder, thank you for your link!!! It is very helpful.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:55   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Factor in another equation to your thinking... most of the electric equipment is going to be on its last legs. Bilge pumps, shower sump pumps, etc;... autopilot, CP, VHF as well..
The engine if its been well maintained should not be judged by hours run... deisels last forever if looked after properly..
I bought a 6yr old boat with 3200hrs on the engine... not a problem... aint Yanmars great...
Then there's the rigging and sails to consider...
Sure you wouldn't rather have a Winnebago..

Old 25-10-2012, 11:01   #27

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
its Amazing how man good wise men will post here jest like ex-calif...

what he says is very ,very true...

we are all used and we are all very old,and wise-hopefully!

differance;es is can ya' all breahe-e and smille and smoke1

and most importantly can ya sail any boat across the waters?

end of the day ya are with it our ya knot?
Not to pirate the thread but shouldn't this song be dedicated to Zee on SK Solitary Bird?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:15   #28

To those of you who sigh and put ??? at my comments, please be more specific. I am very honest in admitting that I know hardly anything about sailing except that it is in my blood. And there is no shame in not knowing as long as you make an effort to learn. Chances are that 3-4 years from now my knowledge base and experience will increase to such an extent that I would be able to teach others. I already have a Masters in Law (in Contract to boot) and most of the cases I read had to do with charterparties gone wrong. I do know a lot but on the legal side, not the practical side. I am looking forward to learning everything I can about sailing. I want to get my skipper's licence.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:15   #29

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Hello again,

I was thinking of having a professional survey done on the boat. It is a big investment and has to be done right. I wish I can afford a new boat, but for what I want, $250,000 does not get me far. If I can just buy the boat now I would get more upgrades later. I am in no rush to go out into rough seas yet. I would really like it if it has solar panels though because I want to generate my own electricity.

I am looking into having the boat transported and will post my experience of it on here. Currently I am just looking for quotes from different shipping companies. I will also look into having it sailed from one place to another but that sounds very risky at this point. If something goes wrong with the shipping company I have someone to sue. If the boat is crashed by someone sailing it I lose everything....

No comment on the Lavezzi?
1) Survey!!!!! Engine(s) survey as well!!!
2) 20K will not cover shipping to Oz from the US.
3) If not a float on/off transport you will also pay for de-commissioning and then re-commissioning. Can get costly. Hidden expenses with wiring and rigging issues found out later.
4) Be prepaired for additional costs to deliver your boat to point of transport pick up and then from drop of to your final marina and home.
5) Have fun! You're learing curve should be straight up!

Cheers!
Old 25-10-2012, 11:23   #30

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
To those of you who sigh and put ??? at my comments, please be more specific. I am very honest in admitting that I know hardly anything about sailing except that it is in my blood. And there is no shame in not knowing as long as you make an effort to learn. Chances are that 3-4 years from now my knowledge base and experience will increase to such an extent that I would be able to teach others. I already have a Masters in Law (in Contract to boot) and most of the cases I read had to do with charterparties gone wrong. I do know a lot but on the legal side, not the practical side. I am looking forward to learning everything I can about sailing. I want to get my skipper's licence.

I'm sure no one here means anything harmful. It's not so unusual for a complete non sailor to investigate these types of options. It's only because of the daunting task ahead of you that most of us are aware of that makes this type of assault 'intersting'. We ALL started like you, once!!!
Find some people you CAN TRUST and lean on them heavily for good info/advise. Proceed slowly. A boat that you may find with costs that fall in line with your budget but are selling for a good deal more elsewhere is a likely red flag. Proceed slowly. SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY!
Best of luck! Good on ya!

Cheers~ Jeffry