Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 09:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: help marina wants out of water survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Port Credit Marina here on Lake Ontario is now requiring the same thing. I doubted it at first, but my friend bought a boat and went through the process just recently. According to him, some older boats are being abandoned, usually with marina fees owing. Then the marina has a problem. The boats are usually abandoned because they sank, or are no longer structurally sound. The marina is just trying to protect themselves.

All they will look at on the survey is if its going to sink (through hulls, hoses, hose clamps, etc) and structural integrity.
This is the marina I mentioned in Post #9. They also want to know that all electrical, fuel and propane systems are kosher.

They got stung for over $100k to clean up a sunken boat after a fire when the owners insurer denied coverage a few years ago.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:42   #17

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch007 View Post
This is in marina del rey.

All the marinas here require a survey for a boat over 15 years old for a wet slip.

arch
I don't know why anyone deals with southern cali marinas, they are so anal about everything.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I don't know why anyone deals with southern cali marinas, they are so anal about everything.
Maybe because they live there?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53   #19
Marine Service Provider

Re: Help Marina Wants Out Of Water Survey

I put a lot of time and money into my boat and I appreciate a marina that will not put a fire hazard in the slip next to me.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:02   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Alameda Marina in Ca. is doing the same thing. But it's goal is to rid of as many boats as they can since they are trying to remove anything related to boats...
Yeah, that might be the case if the developer planned to eliminate the marina, which they don't. Maybe you should stick to topics that you have a clue about.

At Alameda Marina, as at MdR, the marina is a private business and dilapidated boats that are in disrepair (and may be at risk of sinking or abandonment) are a liability. The marina is only covering its ass when asking for a survey to make sure their berther's boats are in working, usable condition. Because guess who foots the bill when someone walks away from their boat?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:05   #21

Just your typical gentrification issue. The haves want the have nots out. So what else is new?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:12   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I do a lot of work for one of the biggest marinas in Ontario. It costs them
2k - 6k ea. to get rid of abandoned boats. They also want to insure that the boats are safe. They will not accept a boat without a good survey and they are very choosy about which surveyors reports they will accept. if in doubt they hire me to do an inspection.

Too many people buy cheap boats thinking they can re-fit them and when they find they are over their heads (99%) they walk, leaving the marina with a legal and disposal nightmare.

Some of the best photos on my website have come from these inspections including the boat with the propane tanks stored in the bilge or how about the one with a 30amp cord going directly to a 30amp outlet (no circuit breaker) then to 11 outlet multipliers and 21 extension cords.
+1

Berkeley marina recently had a large ketch sink in the slip. The diesel leak beforehand was a warning that the marina ignored.

The owner was overseas apparently and abandoned the boat. The city now has responsibility but the boat is still in the slip and on the bottom. Why? Because nobody wants to pay for it to be removed.

The marina has the right to ask you for any inspection they like. You have the right to go elsewhere.

I suspect they've had a bad experience in the past.

You could offer to have a diver inspect your through hulls, complete an interior survey and a bonding survey. Then with that information you can negotiate with the marina.

The bigger picture is related to whether your boat is desirable to have in their marina. This is IMHO the biggest determinate of whether you'll get approved to be a liveaboard.

This was our experience in bypassing so called liveaboard lists in three west coast marinas. We have a 1984 Liberty 458.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:17   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I put a lot of time and money into my boat and I appreciate a marina that will not put a fire hazard in the slip next to me.
Touche.

Part of our selection criteria when choosing a marina is the absence of junk boats.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19   #24

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Sounds like a super method to create additional work for surveyors. Guess some money flows back to the marina. Especially if they accept only surveyors choose by them.

If they would just expect a visual in the slings by qualified marina staff it should suffice.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yeah, that might be the case if the developer planned to eliminate the marina, which they don't. Maybe you should stick to topics that you have a clue about.

At Alameda Marina, as at MdR, the marina is a private business and dilapidated boats that are in disrepair (and may be at risk of sinking or abandonment) are a liability. The marina is only covering its ass when asking for a survey to make sure their berther's boats are in working, usable condition. Because guess who foots the bill when someone walks away from their boat?
Oh here we go we your usual negative attacks. Always have to be the bully don't you. It's the Internet, we can voice our opinions...hopefully without your rants and whining. Geez!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've had a boat sink on one side and be abandoned on the other. I get that.

I would think they would accept an insurance survey with the past 5 years or so. If much longer, perhaps it is due.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:26   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh here we go we your usual negative attacks. Always have to be the bully don't you. It's the Internet, we can voice our opinions...hopefully without your rants and whining. Geez!
You didn't voice an opinion, chief. You made statement (based on your opinion, apparently) and presented it as fact. But that's the problem with the internet.

So it's OK for you to publicly slam the marina, I guess, but as soon as someone calls you on it, they're being a bully.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:32   #28

[QUOTE=fstbttms;2232027]You didn't voice an opinion, chief. You made statement (based on your opinion, apparently) and presented it as fact. But that's the problem with the internet. So it's OK for you to publicly slam the marina, I guess, but as soon as someone calls you on it, they're being a bully: [/QUOTE.

....and of course your follow up, tit for tat until you're bored. I'm not slamming the marina but the ONE person who pushed Sean out and wants to build condos there. If you need to get your ya ya's out by trying to put my post down at least get your facts straight.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:36   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Sounds like a super method to create additional work for surveyors. Guess some money flows back to the marina. Especially if they accept only surveyors choose by them.

If they would just expect a visual in the slings by qualified marina staff it should suffice.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
A visual in the slings by the guy who runs the travel lift won't show you this ....
Old 10-10-2016, 10:37   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm not slamming the marina but the ONE person who pushed Sean out and wants to build condos there.
Yeah, except that's not what you posted. You said that the marina is intentionally trying to get berthers to leave.

Talk about not getting your facts straight.

Tags
survey, water