Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 15:06   #1

Help Marina Wants Out Of Water Survey

I have an older sailboat (30 years) and for a wet slip the marina requires an out of water survey.

I would like to make sure my boat passes the survey.

Does anyone know exactly what the marina wants to see on the out of water survey ?

I am confused since

1. out of water means the engine cannot be tested to see if it works ?

2. The mast is down so cannot check rigging ?

Thanks in advance,

arch
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 15:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: help marina wants out of water survey

Sounds like they want to know that the hull and keel are sound and that through-hulls aren't likely to fail.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 16:56   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sounds like they don't want you
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 17:03   #4

I've never heard of anything like that. I've been in 3 marinas over 30 years with my boats. Just moved to a new one. All they want is: 1) visibly good condition - no derelicts (I passed that one!); 2) proof of insurance.

You're getting scammed.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 17:06   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sounds like they don't want you
That sounds about right. I've never heard of this from a marina. Insurance companies want a survey for obvious reasons.

ALL the marina should ask for is proof of insurance, a customer agreement, and a check.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 17:25   #6

This is in marina del rey.

All the marinas here require a survey for a boat over 15 years old for a wet slip.

arch
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 17:58   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My guess is that they want a look at the through hulls, if all boats wanting water berths have to be hauled, and also hull integrity.

Ann
Old 09-10-2016, 18:48   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While I think the requirement is OTT, it is their marina, and they can stipulate whatever rules they want. If you do not submit, you will have to go elsewhere... simple as that!

IMO, if your insurance company will cover the boat (and you) against its damaging the marina or other occupants, that should cover their asses well enough... but I don't own the marina!

Good luck...

Jim
Old 09-10-2016, 19:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I do a lot of work for one of the biggest marinas in Ontario. It costs them
2k - 6k ea. to get rid of abandoned boats. They also want to insure that the boats are safe. They will not accept a boat without a good survey and they are very choosy about which surveyors reports they will accept. if in doubt they hire me to do an inspection.

Too many people buy cheap boats thinking they can re-fit them and when they find they are over their heads (99%) they walk, leaving the marina with a legal and disposal nightmare.

Some of the best photos on my website have come from these inspections including the boat with the propane tanks stored in the bilge or how about the one with a 30amp cord going directly to a 30amp outlet (no circuit breaker) then to 11 outlet multipliers and 21 extension cords.
Old 09-10-2016, 19:20   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

First time I hear of such a request. Still, if your boat looks as if could sink soon, the marina may have a concern.

What condition is your boat in?

Can you move on?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 19:29   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

If it's Marina Del Rey, then the OP probably can't move on and go elsewhere. A wet slip is extremely difficult to find there, if I recall correctly. But, if you know a marina that has 40-foot slips, let me know!!

[edit]
And I DO have a recent survey
[/edit]
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 21:00   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Help Marina Wants Out Of Water Survey

Alameda Marina in Ca. is doing the same thing. But it's goal is to rid of as many boats as they can since they are trying to remove anything related to boats in order to build high rise condos that sale for $750,000. The community is fighting it but in the meantime, they want out of water surveys to see how many get sick and fed-up and leave.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 22:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Help Marina Wants Out Of Water Survey

It takes no time and little cost to have the yard haul you and bottom survey done while you're in the slings. They're likely not asking for a value survey just safety so you should be able to get a cut price deal from the surveyor as well unless the boat is in rough shape and then the survey might take more effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-10-2016, 05:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Too many people buy cheap boats thinking they can re-fit them and when they find they are over their heads (99%) they walk, leaving the marina with a legal and disposal nightmare.
And we see these types of people on this forum all the time. I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen postings along the lines of "I don't know anything about boats or sailing, but I got this 40 foot boat for free, and I'm going to fix it up and sail it around the world." They are full of enthusiasm and posting constantly for 5-6 months. Then they suddenly disappear--never to be heard from again.

I admire the 1 out of every 200-300 who actually finish these over-ambitious refits. But I can't blame the marinas and boatyards if they want to protect themselves against the overwhelming majority who are eventually going to disappear--never to be heard from again.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:51   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I've never heard of anything like that. I've been in 3 marinas over 30 years with my boats. Just moved to a new one. All they want is: 1) visibly good condition - no derelicts (I passed that one!); 2) proof of insurance.

You're getting scammed.
Port Credit Marina here on Lake Ontario is now requiring the same thing. I doubted it at first, but my friend bought a boat and went through the process just recently. According to him, some older boats are being abandoned, usually with marina fees owing. Then the marina has a problem. The boats are usually abandoned because they sank, or are no longer structurally sound. The marina is just trying to protect themselves.

All they will look at on the survey is if its going to sink (through hulls, hoses, hose clamps, etc) and structural integrity. The sailing fleet here on Lake Ontario is aging. My most recent boat was 40 years old. The early 70's were a boom time for sailboat manufacturing. Some of those great boats are now approaching then end of their usable lives. This means there are some great deals on older boats out there....but buyer beware. You can't see those keel bolts...who knows how rotten they are?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, water