Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 18:13   #31

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Trucker Bob there's no simple answer. The fact that your used to living in your truck makes you way ahead of most first timers. I've been sailing since I was a kid and can easily single hand my 39 footer. When you're looking at boats the larger ones have great appeal, much nicer to live on. But are much more expensive to buy, own and maintain. When you make mistakes and trust me you will, a smaller boat is much more forgiving. Spending less on the boat will give you more for the cruising kitty. Getting experience on a small boat will allow you to make a better decision when buying the big boat. Take your time and don't buy the first boat you see unless it's love at first sight of course.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 22:49   #32

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: hello i need a answer or two

Truckerbob. Great plan. Do it while you are young.

Just about any boat us good for knocking around the US east coast. The west coast is a different story.

Why not buy a 25-30' cheapie throwaway boat the first year? We met people cruising the east coast and Bahamas in $2-10k 25-35' boats all the time.

5' draft max because that will make everything cheaper and getting around in canals easier.

You need a good engine because it will help you use the great canal systems of the USA to get between nice protected cruising spots.

I am thinking the Great Lakes, Erie Canal, Chesapeake, Carolinas and Florida then as a grand finale crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas on a good day.

You will learn to sail and get an idea about what you like in a boat. At the end of your first year give away the boat and then spend your next year trucking looking for your dream boat.

If you are going to Ireland you need a very good boat and after a year of cruising in just about any cheap boat you will have an idea what that means. And you will know what you want in a boat. Maybe you will decide this sailng stuff is over rated and follow another dream.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46   #33

Boat: Boatless
Uuugh....the T/A in Eugene!!!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46   #34

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

I remember when it was the 76 t.s. And the old husky was just north,if memory serves. Had to kill a few dinosaurs to get to the cafe, or were they just mean lot lizards?
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36   #35

Boat: 1979 Pearson 33

I currently have a Pearson 33, but I began sailing four years ago, took classes at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club (Miami) and bought a 23' Alberg Sea Sprite to begin with.

The Pearson is great to single hand and I bought her for $15K two years ago after giving away the Sprite to a friend. It's got a great V-berth that we use for storage and sleep in the main cabin. It's got a four and a half foot draft (makes it nice to get close to shore) and a drop keel for deeper water sailing. The cockpit has room enough for six people to sit comfortably - although I'm thinking of moving the traveler.

I agree with the members on the forum, be patient in looking for a boat. I've seen people buy a boat quickly and thought they were getting a deal and wound up getting out of sailing faster than they went into it. One friend went out and bought a brand new 45' Beneteau and ended with a 3 foot hole in the hull, because he didn't have enough experience, another ended up replacing the engine on a "Sweet Deal" that he got for $25K - the engine was on its last legs.

Also, learn to do the work yourself. You'll find that when you're out on a sail and the engine doesn't want to start, it's not going to be the time you want to start tracing wires and fuel lines.

If you are going to sail with your girlfriend, take a class together. We took our first class at the club, but my girlfriend didn't enjoy the yelling, so this past Thanksgiving we took a class in Key Largo with a young woman who was very patient. My girlfriend enjoyed it and now I am getting a lot (A LOT) of feedback on how we should be taking care of the boat and what "WE" need to do. Now we're both enjoying sailing and she takes the tiller too.

One last point sail, sail, sail once you get the boat. When you do, you'll find out one thing that you needed on that last trip. Don't buy things just to have on the boat - it's a great way to get claustrophobic and forget about half of the things that you stowed somewhere, that you never use. It's also a great way to drain your kitty fast.

Good luck and if you're ever in warmer weather give a holler!

Robyn & Bob
robyn-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:54   #36

30-35 is a great choice. Pearson is good boat in your budget also. Just remember there are a lot of things that cost money to fix on old boats. Anchoring in the Caribe is free. Do overnight cruising locally for a while, then take a trip to the Bahamas , then you will know what's important to you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 18:28   #37

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I think the best way to learn how to sail is on a small sailboat and I'm talking 10 to 15 feet. If you go with a 10 footer you can also use it as the tender to your yacht in the future.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote