Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 00:19   #31
cruiser

Re: Guns? Hunters?

I'll give you a serious answer to a serious question. Not sure about what is required up in Canada were I know a gun is very necessary when one is to go ashore in bear country or to go hunting, you'll need to check with the authorities up there.

Here in the USA the answer is yes, firearms are allowed on board but you need to check ahead and know which kinds are allowed in the states and cities you plan to visit and have the firearms permits and licenses required. The gun laws vary quite a bit.
Old 30-07-2013, 03:15   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
In many places, such as CA and FL, having a gun onboard is a huge red flag for safety reasons.
Florida is NOTHING like Cali when it comes to guns!

Dunno which "FL" you are talking about.... The one I live in, having a gun aboard is more common than not, and the Coasties rarely even blink, as long as it is declared at boarding.
Old 30-07-2013, 03:31   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Guns, what is wrong with a gun?

My thought is this; if its for security ask yourself this. If in a major confrontation are you willing to take someone's life? If the answer is no don't carry. The attacker will get your weapon from you and use it against you. Your attacker has nothing to lose you have everything to Lise. Be safe be cautious be wise you will then stay safe.
Just a thought of a cruiser.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 30-07-2013, 03:39   #34

Boat: Golden Gate 30

Spend the extra $$ and buy guns that are designed for 'extreme' conditions, either made out of stainless or otherwise treated to withstand being in a high moisture environment for extended periods. For hunting purposes, I think most manufacturers make some line of guns designed to withstand those conditions.

Make a habit of inspecting them regularly, just because you don't see surface rust, doesn't mean it isn't there. I recently was working on an old Colt Detective Special that looked great on the outside, but when I peered inside, everything behind the plate (e.g internals) was rusted beyond recognition. The gun cycled smoothly, but it was a matter of time before someone pulled the trigger and something inside went "crack", which is never a good thing when you are dealing with the pressures associated with firing guns.

I would also use silicon rags, which you can buy at most gun shops or sports shops (fisherman use them too), and wipe down the gun with it regularly. Even high quality, treated weapons have things that can rust and they aren't the things you'd normally oil regularly. Also be sure to run it down the barrel.
Old 30-07-2013, 04:40   #35

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I would think there are 2 pretty simple solutions to gun threads.

People who don't like guns should just ignore them...

Maybe a moderator or 2 from Texas may reduce the workload....

As a added plus...the threads may be a lot shorter lived as the question would be adequately answered by people possibly knowledgeable on the subject and they would be so boring they would die a quick death.
Old 30-07-2013, 04:47   #36

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Consult the charts!

H34 = .22 long
H37 = .38 special
H410 = .357 magnum
H466 = .45 acp
H49 = .44 magnum

I'd recommend anchor sizes as well, but that gets kinda controversial.
Guess that makes my H41 a 9mm.

BTW the original poster was Canadian, not "American".

Scott
Old 30-07-2013, 05:31   #37

Boat: Skookum 53'

We could always arm the moderators, and they could shoot posters at will. I still think attack seagulls armed with M-60 machine guns are the only answer. Some vessels carry firearms in Alaska, and we do so for a purpose, sometimes for fish, sometimes for bears. Depends on which venue you are operating in, there is one island in Alaska, I know of that when you shoot a deer, it is the same as ringing the dinner bell for Mr. Grizzly, you then have to move to a different part of the island to shoot a deer for yourself, and you best be quick about getting it off the beach to the boat or you will have to fight them for that one too.
Old 30-07-2013, 05:49   #38

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Be safe be cautious be wise you will then stay safe.
You promise?? Unfortunately, it is not a binary (black and white) world. Risk is a continuum, you can increase and decrease your risk according to your actions but you cannot drive the risk to zero.

Even if you hide in your home bad guys can always break the door down and kill you.

Naïve statement at best.
Old 30-07-2013, 05:52   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
We could always arm the moderators, and they could shoot posters at will.
I have forwarded that proposal but I am not holding my breath.

Coops.
Old 30-07-2013, 06:03   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkr View Post
I don't understand why talking about firearms is so taboo on this site! Anyone wanna answer that?
Well you could find the answer to that by doing a quick search and looking through the dozens of previous gun threads. But to save you the time I can summarize:

1. Nothing new that could be said. The subject has been covered ad naseum, ad infinitum, start to finish, beginning to end, alpha and omega. That dead horse has been beat beyond recognition.

2. Almost always ends up in arguments, name calling and numerous violations of the be nice rule.

3. Correct, detailed and as complete as possible legal details have been posted or links posted that cover the regulations in most states and countries so no point in asking again.

4. It's annoying to see the same question asked yet again by someone that doesn't bother to or can't figure out how to read the dozens of previous threads.

By the way, the anarchy comment is referring to a couple of other forums where anything goes and if you ask a question like this you will get your posterior handed to you in a sling. Feel free to test the waters over there. Some like it but I think that type of forum is very counter productive when trying to gather real information about a boat issue.
Old 30-07-2013, 06:14   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My sincere thanks to jack dale for his thoughtful and non- smart ass answer to the OP's question.

I suggest mods remove all other responses as irrelevant, including this one.
Old 30-07-2013, 06:28   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My sincere thanks to jack dale for his thoughtful and non- smart ass answer to the OP's question.

I suggest mods remove all other responses as irrelevant, including this one.
I would agree 100% with you if CF was writing a book.

But it's an Internet Forum with the content created by the Members, the price of that is not always useful ........but a lot less work to edit than a book , and a lot more folks willing to contribute (how many would bother for any subject if they knew a chunk of their contributions would be deleted?).
Old 30-07-2013, 06:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
LOL!!!

Now, back on topic: what size anchor is recommended for a H54 with a deck mounted .50 cal machine gun with a healthy supply of ammo sailing internationally?
Just needs to be bigger than the other guys. I hear the girls really go for 'bling' these days so I am having mine made up in SS...
Old 30-07-2013, 06:44   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would agree 100% with you if CF was writing a book.

But it's an Internet Forum with the content created by the Members, the price of that is not always useful ........but a lot less work to edit than a book , and a lot more folks willing to contribute (how many would bother for any subject if they knew a chunk of their contributions would be deleted?).
OK, good points. Just a wee bit cranky this am. Looking to cross the Bay of Fundy in light, flunky winds next two days has perhaps put me out of sorts. Carry on.
Old 30-07-2013, 06:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkr View Post
I don't understand why talking about firearms is so taboo on this site! Anyone wanna answer that?
Because it's a boating site, maybe?

Because gun threads almost invariably become venues for debating the whole gun issue. Some do it earnestly because their position on guns is close to a religion; some pile in because they enjoy trolling the first group.

Add a healthy dose of the U.S. attitudes vs the world on personal guns, and let boil til mods declare it done.

Just about every conceivable gun/boat question has been asked and answered in this forum, so there's really no pressing reason to permit any more gun questions, unless there's a genuinely new question to be asked.

I've been told it's improper to talk politics or religion in polite company, guns are a religious AND political topic, so I'd be thrilled if the mods would crush any gun post that doesn't genuinely relate or contribute to the subject of BOATS. or at least banish them from the boating related sections.There's plenty of other internet venues for people to wank on about gun issues.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, hunter