Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 15:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Gun Question

This is a gun question on what to buy. Please don't get into gun rights and other political issues or this thread will get killed.

I'm targeting this question to those that already keep guns aboard. I used to keep a handgun with me on camping and boating trips but haven't in a very long time.
This particular weapon would be for self defense only. What I think I need is:
1) Something with as little swinging room needed as possible. The old Kentucky Long Rifle would not work for me on a boat.
2) Easy and non-intimidation for a female to operate - I'm speaking of my wife, not my feminine side.
3) 'Relatively' inexpensive ammo. The more a weapon is used the better it becomes. I'm of 'the most familiar weapon is the best weapon' school. I've known people that could carve you up with a knife well before you even realized you had to defend yourself.
4) Something that would not draw any attention on the boat. Like in, easily stored and easily available.

I know there is no one weapon that will fit all of the categories like a fully automatic shotgun the size of my walley - which is really small. I'm sure I will think of more stuff. If nothing else, tell me what you have on your boat and why you selected that weapon.

One more very important thing: I will only be cruising in the US so foreign laws will not apply. My cruising will be primarily on the eastern inland waterways.

Again, please keep this non-political. Hopefully, the moderators will bounce the offenders and not the thread.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:22   #2
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World
Re: Gun Question

I stow a Mossberg 500 pump on board.

When you rack the slide, the sound will cause the perp to leave a DNA deposit.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
Old 17-11-2013, 15:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

I have been leaning that way for the very same reason. Everyone and I mean everyone knows that sound.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:26   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This is a gun question on what to buy. Please don't get into gun rights and other political issues or this thread will get killed.

I'm targeting this question to those that already keep guns aboard. I used to keep a handgun with me on camping and boating trips but haven't in a very long time.
This particular weapon would be for self defense only. What I think I need is:
1) Something with as little swinging room needed as possible. The old Kentucky Long Rifle would not work for me on a boat.
2) Easy and non-intimidation for a female to operate - I'm speaking of my wife, not my feminine side.
3) 'Relatively' inexpensive ammo. The more a weapon is used the better it becomes. I'm of 'the most familiar weapon is the best weapon' school. I've known people that could carve you up with a knife well before you even realized you had to defend yourself.
4) Something that would not draw any attention on the boat. Like in, easily stored and easily available.

I know there is no one weapon that will fit all of the categories like a fully automatic shotgun the size of my walley - which is really small. I'm sure I will think of more stuff. If nothing else, tell me what you have on your boat and why you selected that weapon.

One more very important thing: I will only be cruising in the US so foreign laws will not apply. My cruising will be primarily on the eastern inland waterways.

Again, please keep this non-political. Hopefully, the moderators will bounce the offenders and not the thread.

Thanks in advance.
Cannot resist, it is a big ask to ask the world to ignore this sort of post
I vote, keep all posts about guns away from a decent site
and thats pretty much all I have to say bout that
Old 17-11-2013, 15:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
Cannot resist, it is a big ask to ask the world to ignore this sort of post
Yes, it is a big ask. This is a serious cruising question. I plan on starting my cruise in 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. I am neither young nor large, which could make me an easy target.

I do have a big ask for you though: Please be the thread cop and ask the moderators to remove all offenders or the thread itself. Until then, all is good.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:42   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

have to believe that using the site search function would answer the question much faster than waiting for the results of a new thread on an old topic
Old 17-11-2013, 15:44   #7

A standard shotgun is going to need some pretty good swinging room. You'd probably also have to go with a 20 gauge for a smaller woman to handle it (or use really light loads).

Have you considered a shotgun and a handgun? Most women can handle a 9mm fairly easily with a little training. And you can get a 12 gauge with an 18" barrel, pistol grip and folding stock. It is legal but you get maximum stowability as you can while still being legal. You also get that shotgun rack sound that you really like.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:44   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Remington 870 "Marine Magnum" 12 gauge pump. Made for the job. Not cheap, but quality counts. Shotguns are also least likely to cause a problem entering other countries. Note the length -- easy to handle, easy to stow.

Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Marine Magnum - Remington Shotguns

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 17-11-2013, 15:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Remington 870 "Marine Magnum" 12 gauge pump. Made for the job. Not cheap, but quality counts. Shotguns are also least likely to cause a problem entering other countries. Note the length -- easy to handle, easy to stow.

ID
I'd never heard of this firearm before. I'm updating my Christmas list.

Thanks.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Yeah, your right. That could apply to 95% of all threads on here. Sometimes it's nice to hear new ideas from new people.
If you keep a weapon aboard what is your choice. If not, that's OK also.
I try to be realistic and practical. I keep an icepick next to my seat in my van. No one will ever pull me out. That's up close and personal. Not practical on a boat though where short distance self defense may be a reality. I am not the kind of person that will wave a gun in the air to scare someone off. It don't work as often as it should. Doing that may in fact create an incident that might have not normally occurred. I believe in surprises if necessary. I am thinking more along the lines of someone actually boarding or trying to break in.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:55   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSloth View Post
I'd never heard of this firearm before. I'm updating my Christmas list.

Thanks.
You're welcome. Just don't think you're gonna hit that goose with it! It's a limited use firearm.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 17-11-2013, 16:00   #12

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I'm a fan of the Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

Shotgun ammo, at least bird shot, is typically inexpensive and available. Remove the stock and put a pistol grip on it and mount a flashlight under the barrel.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:04   #13

12ga pump shotgun with a pistol grip or a judge pistol with 410 00 buck shot. They sell the shotgun in plastic storage tubes.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:05   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Just for the sake of argument I'd have to pick a handgun, something like a 9mm Glock or equivalent. The weapon is no good to you or your wife if it is not quickly accessible in the middle of the night, so for me that means it's in the v-berth somewhere since there's no room (storage or swing) in my v-berth for a shotgun.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:10   #15

I second a Mossberg 500 but would recommend the home defender version with collapsible stock and pistol grip.

Any hand gun will cause endless issues (even if it is just looking up local laws) whereas long guns and shotguns are a far easier gun to keep while traveling interstate.
Closed Thread