Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 19:05   #61

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35
Re: Graduating college, want to liveaboard in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
to me ....REAL robotics takes the place of a real human being.... but with the same or better judgement.
I agree, but giving the boat enough sensors to control itself safely is expensive. The amount of sensors you would need just to safely pull up the anchor would be sufficient for much more complex manoeuvres. So if you wanted an even more autonomous system that would be possible. But if all you want is the windlass it'd be cheapest to use less complex sensors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:25   #62

Imagine crawling down the dock on your belly in the dark because there's a half inch of slick ice wanting to domo you in the frigid water. And that was down south in DC last winter.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:09   #63

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Just out of college. $30k in the bank? Don't want to work? Fantastic opportunity to get out of the cold. Head south and stop worrying about heaters! Seriosly, live it up on that 30k for as long as you can. Crew for awhile!
StuartBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 21:06   #64

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

It is amazing how so many people dream to live aboard. I have a large yacht, full blood cruiser with plenty space and all bells and whistles. When I spend 3 days in a row at the marina, it gets too small circle for me. It's a different story if we are on the move and see new places, one after another. I was chatting to my boat neighbour who has nothing else in his life, only the yacht, he said that he gets quite depressed in winter months when there are less other yachties.
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 21:14   #65

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Okay, just read up on all the other posts and it sounds like I'm the only full time Boston liveaboard to post so far....

First off, I agree with everyone that says you're looking for too big a boat. It isn't only that a larger boat costs more to run and maintain, it isn't even only that a larger boat will be more difficult for a (likely) novice sailor to maneuver in and out of slips, it's also that the larger the boat you get the less likely any marinas in the area will have space for you.

Constitution Marina is definitely a great place for winter liveaboard. There are several other marinas in the area that also offer winter liveaboard but none have the facilities or community that CM has . However there's a pretty large waiting list for staying at CM through the summer so you will definitely have to find a different summer slip. There are a good number of other marinas that quietly allow liveaboards through the winter, although It will be tough for you to get them to offer you a slip unless you start there in the summer and they get to know you.

Also, if you don't want your closet and clothes to become damp and mildewed insulate against the Hull and add cedar closet liner from Lowes or home depot. You lose 1" of space bit your clothes will be fine. If you feel paranoid about it and there's any extra space in there put a tin of damp rid in there and check it occasionally.

You really should insulate as much of the Hull as possible. 1"-2" of foam insulation doesn't really take away that much space and it does a lot to increase comfort inside. I've lived on a 30ft for the past several years in the Boston area (including all of last year). With the boat well insulated I keep my boat heated primarily with a small electric heater and a backup propane heater I almost never use (mostly in case of power outage during winter storms). My boat has never had any condensation or "smell" issues whatsoever. Also, even with using mostly electric to keep warm, my electric bill generally runs about 80$ a month.

The one person who mentioned that it could be uncomfortable to get to and from the boat in the cold and snow is right, but only in that it's uncomfortable to get to and from any place in Boston in the cold and snow. The weather can be brutal here, but it's no real difference if you're stepping out of a door or a hatch. When people ask me about what I do about crappy weather on the boat I tell them that I do the same thing that they do, try to stay inside! :-)

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 23:50   #66

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

well there you have it.... nothing like the voice of experience.

Ryan... how does one insulate a sailboat? The hull is sitting in 40 degrees F water?
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 23:57   #67

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35

Agreed, thank you for a very thorough post Ryan! Great to hear from someone currently living aboard in Boston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:57   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartBaker View Post
Just out of college. $30k in the bank? Don't want to work? Fantastic opportunity to get out of the cold. Head south and stop worrying about heaters! Seriosly, live it up on that 30k for as long as you can. Crew for awhile!
I had to work my way through college, and I still graduated with debt. So I didn't have a choice but to go to work. My graduation ceremony was on Saturday; the following Monday I started my first 'career' job. After I paid off my loans and built a small bank, I quit my career, moved out west, and became a ski bum. Once I got tired of being poor (again), I re-entered the professional world. I repeated that cycle a few more times. My salary and savings now aren't even close to what my friends have as we approach age 60, but they cannot buy the experiences I had when I was younger. I'm glad I did it and I heartily endorse the advice from StuartBaker.

However, anybody can be a ski bum or sail bum without wasting $30K. Don't buy a boat with that money. Invest in conservatively and then forget about spending it until it has grown to $300K.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I had to work my way through college, and I still graduated with debt. So I didn't have a choice but to go to work. My graduation ceremony was on Saturday; the following Monday I started my first 'career' job. After I paid off my loans and built a small bank, I quit my career, moved out west, and became a ski bum. Once I got tired of being poor (again), I re-entered the professional world. I repeated that cycle a few more times. My salary and savings now aren't even close to what my friends have as we approach age 60, but they cannot buy the experiences I had when I was younger. I'm glad I did it and I heartily endorse the advice from StuartBaker.

However, anybody can be a ski bum or sail bum without wasting $30K. Don't buy a boat with that money. Invest in conservatively and then forget about spending it until it has grown to $300K.
You raise a good point. Really does not matter in the end what one does. All end up dead. How you want to spend your time(which is about the only thing you really can spend). Do you want to enjoy life young or wait till your old? Or enjoy it all the time from young to old? Boston offers so many opportunities for young professional people nowadays. Its like another golden age for the HUB. IMHO, its best experienced on a 24/7 basis. Total immersion. If the kid wants to live on a boat, then docks along the downtown harbor area near the government center is the way to go. Several condo developments right before the North End have docks that are leased out to boaters. He might ask around. Could then just walk across I-93 to Faneuil Hall and get a cup of coffee.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05   #70

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

An Olde Bahamian Abaconian used to tell me that the kids in the Bahamas retired first then go to work later in life. He thinks that they want to live it up while they can enjoy it most...when they can be physical and vibrant and not be worried about high cholesterol or knee surgery ad not be able to take a high dive off the spreaders...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:30   #71

Boat: youngquist viking 34

One thing to consider getting once you have the boat is custom canvas (sunbrella). Boat cover. I have seen well designed ones thatdo not block windows for vision or air but that hang like a canopy obove them allowing open windows and hatches in wet conditions. Being able to regulate airflow from a little to a lot. With a good heating system you will easily maintain comfort with some airflow in all but the coldest weather. Avoid cheap hause electric heaters they are a fire hazard on a boat. Most are not ment to be left unsupervised. The amp draw on a faulty or poorly designed electrical circut can cause fire. Major cause of marina fires. There are saft ones but shop well
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard