Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 15:22   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Cruising and the Affordable Care Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Nimble, I'd call that a pre-existing condition.
No, it's an artificially padded statistic in fact.

Coops.
Old 28-06-2014, 15:39   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The original question was about the ACA and cruisers. Then all the ACA haters jumped in, but don't worry, Hiliary will sort those types out in a few years !!

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, priceless she will have all the answers. But no doubt I will feel compelled to vote for her regardless. Perhaps I can arrange to be on passage from Fiji to NZ or OZ during the election?
Old 28-06-2014, 15:56   #108
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Why are we abdicating health to the list of government services? Shouldn't we, by the same logic, insist that people eat and drink healthy foods, and exercise? These are arguably more important than supplying someone with pharmaceuticals.

The issue I have with ACA is that the government is insisting that people share the cost of providing health care to all individuals, but neither controlling the costs nor insisting on cost transparency.

We've identified it as a runaway train, but rather than try and fix it, we've compelled everyone to board it in hopes that that will fix it.
According to the ACA if an insurance company makes more than a 20% profit they have to refund the excess to its customers. Sounds like cost control, but wouldn't that mean the higher the medical care costs the higher their profit would be?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 16:04   #109

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
If someone has pre-existing conditions, they can't be excluded, but that's for all health insurance, not just companies in the ACA exchanges.
This pre-existing condition ban does not apply to the insurers like IMG with policies that focus on ex-pats and people out of the US for more than 6 months a year.
Old 28-06-2014, 16:12   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
According to the ACA if an insurance company makes more than a 20% profit they have to refund the excess to its customers. Sounds like cost control, but wouldn't that mean the higher the medical care costs the higher their profit would be?
That's not cost control. That's insurance company profit control. While a step in the right direction, as insurance paperwork is a waste of resources, insurance isn't the biggest cost involved in health care.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 16:40   #111

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
No, it's an artificially padded statistic in fact.

Coops.
X2......

w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 16:52   #112
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Then what, look for an ACA compliant policy? (nothing personal here, you brought it up).
You just have to love how people that don't know the situation just have to open their mouths and, as they say remove all doubt, as a way to justify their belief system. Paul now knows more about my wife's (a PA-C) medical situation than we do, thanks but we have things under control without the "help" of another Big Government program. Which is eactly the problem...once size fits all...Big Government Solutions. Back to something constructive like working on the teak varnish. That VA Medical system is a model of single payer also...ha ah ah ah a

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You presumably have the same problem with your auto insurance then !
Dave
Presumably some don't understand the difference between auto insurance and heath insurance under the ACA...a common problem these days for a straw man comparison.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 19:43   #113
smj

Quote:
That's not cost control. That's insurance company profit control. While a step in the right direction, as insurance paperwork is a waste of resources, insurance isn't the biggest cost involved in health care.

Insurance probably accounts for about 50% of healthcare costs.

Old 28-06-2014, 19:50   #114

Quote:
Just to modify this comment, the 20% is not profit. The insurance carriers can only spend 20% of premiums collected on administration cost. The other 80% must be spent on patient care. This has nothing to do with profit caps for insurance companies. We'll I guess it is if you consider your business administration cost as a measure of profit. The IRS certainly does not. It is correct if the carrier exceeds this limit you would receive a refund on a per stirpes basis.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 19:50   #115
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Insurance probably accounts for about 50% of healthcare costs.
The ACA mandates that if the Big Insurance Corporations don't make enough "profit"....well then the "Government" bails them out...you gotta love how Croney Capitalism works. Big Health Care bought and paid for the ACA folks...it was NEVER about heath care it was always about Corporate Profits that funnel into Campaign Cash and Power. In one fail swoop, the Politicians were able to suck 1/7th of the US Economy under their control...just imagine all that campaign cash now flowing. Forget about the Industrial Military Complex...it doesn't have access to my personal health info...opps...strike that the NSA now knows all and no one cares as long as they get some free bread and circuses.

How "crazy Rich" does this relate to Cruising...easy...it's a HUGE reason to GO and then once out untangle yourself from the tentacles of control.
Old 28-06-2014, 19:59   #116
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Just to modify this comment, the 20% is not profit. The insurance carriers can only spend 20% of premiums collected on administration cost. The other 80% must be spent on patient care. This has nothing to do with profit caps for insurance companies. We'll I guess it is if you consider your business administration cost as a measure of profit. The IRS certainly does not. It is correct if the carrier exceeds this limit you would receive a refund on a per stirpes basis.

Your right, my mistake. But still a regulation to hold costs down.

Old 28-06-2014, 20:04   #117

Quote:
Insurance probably accounts for about 50% of healthcare
Actually that would be 15.7% for insurance cost and administration. The remaining is spent on provider care.

If we want to tackle the biggest cost for healthcare I would only direct you to the 2010 census of top 6 paid career fields in the U.S. are all health provider related. That's dr.s and surgeons and such. Lawyers are number 8.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:06   #118
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your right, my mistake. But still a regulation to hold costs down.
The problem is that Regulations don't actually hold down costs...ask the folks that lived through Price Controls and Gas Rationing in the 70s. Regulations just push the costs somewhere else or change the nature (quality/quantity) of the service provided. The funny thing about Economics and the laws of physics is that even if you don't believe you are still subject to them.
Old 28-06-2014, 20:07   #119
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Actually that would be 15.7% for insurance cost and administration. The remaining is spent on provider care.

If we want to tackle the biggest cost for healthcare I would only direct you to the 2010 census of top 6 paid career fields in the U.S. are all health provider related. That's dr.s and surgeons and such. Lawyers are number 8.

Not what I've heard. 50% of the doctors costs are dealing with paper work for insurance companies.

Old 28-06-2014, 20:08   #120
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The problem is that Regulations don't actually hold down costs...ask the folks that lived through Price Controls and Gas Rationing in the 70s. Regulations just push the costs somewhere else or change the nature (quality/quantity) of the service provided. The funny thing about Economics and the laws of physics is that even if you don't believe you are still subject to them.

More reason for a single payer system.

Tags
cruising