Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 12:53   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Covid and Sailboat Prices

The state side Beneteau/Jeanneau Factory in Marion South Carolina closed in may/June and released a statement of no plans for the future. Group Beneteau sometime over the summer the changed there decision, they will now be also making powerboats out of this location but my gut is that there were enough new sailboat orders to motivate the company to re-open.

My guess is the stimulus checks state side kept the Finacial chaos at bay. Now we wait for the inflation to choke the middle class.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 13:01   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

My guess is that the prices will soften once the pandemic eases and people get back to recreating the way they used to.

Many people bought boats, RVs and recreational properties because they couldn't spend their money on travel and vacation packages. Some will stick with their boats, but most will go back to what they really love, and will be happy to get rid of their Covid purchases.

But I'm not expecting this to happen till at least 2022 if not 2023.
Old 08-02-2021, 16:23   #18

Boat: Albin Cumulus

I have a 28 foot Albin Cumulus in Nova Scotia, presently on the hard. You can purchase for $8500.
Lewisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Has anyone seen sailboat prices drop, plummet, or otherwise fall off a cliff?
I see Bluewater sailboats holding their price, I think,,, but I wonder if the sailing community as a whole is becoming victim to hurricane CoVid? What's it like out there?
been going up for a year -selling fast too.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:15   #20

Boat: Hunter 44DS

In Australia boat prices are on the rise due to the fact that there’s hardly anything coming in from overseas at the moment which has driven up the prices here. Hope it keeps going I’m not ready to sell mine for a few years
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 23:16   #21

Boat: Other peoples

I'm in Australia and every thing has gone up in price. From Real Estate to Pin ball machines.
We call it the Covid tax.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 23:19   #22

Boat: Gib sea 43

what will happen to all those charter boats that are sitting idle accumulating huge losses.....

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 23:43   #23

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

I can only talk of boats in Europe. The northern European market, Sweden, Norway, Danmark, Finnland continue with their price level, as the market is normal. People continue to go out and the prices of "second-hand" boats is normal to higher. Some elder people have chosen to go to "retire" their lockdown on boats.
The same happens in Holland, but there the prices have gone up and substantially. Southern European prices continue at low by the fact, that the people want to own boats but not have the money.
In general I´ve heard all over, the prices have gone higher, since a lot of people have gone "on board" for living in the summer... so the demand increased...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 17:19   #24

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Cant speak to the prices of boats, but the number here in the Connecticut area has increased markedly beginning in Spring, 2020. I had to wait 3-4 wks for work to be done on my boat that I couldnt do..then this Winter, the yard has never been fuller, confirmed by the yard owner...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 16:40   #25

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

I’ve been in market to buy, and all sellers and brokers tell me prices are way up! (Gee!)
Of course now that I’ve bought one, I’m sure prices are close to peaking and will drop a bunch by the time I want to sell...
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 17:11   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In my neck of the woods, small powerboats/fishing boats have been selling like hot cakes....dealers can't keep them on the showroom floor as people are bustin' to get out of the house due to Covid blues.

Sailboats sales, from what I can tell are in the dumps. Many sailboats listed on Yacht World have had recent price reductions. Showing a boat to prospective client is difficult under Covid restrictions. Interestingly, the powerboat market is pretty much maskless in my area and I could not say why but it is.

I have not seen a new sailboat at our marina in a year....and only see the occasional transient.

What this bodes is hard to determine. Covid vaccines are being doled out left, right and centre, so things could change, but no telling when ??

As an addendum, since the election, gas prices have been going up on a weekly basis, and now I see a lot of small boats for sale on driveways, etc.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 17:12   #27

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbore View Post
........ I want to sell...
Three foot itesh?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 18:47   #28

Boat: Hunter 170

Like many others watching Delos I really like the Amel. So I go looking at what is out there that I wont buy. The inventory of available boats has shrunk and the asking prices are up like 50k or so from like a year or two ago.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 19:25   #29

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Price is based on supply and demand. As I only found one that I wanted within 300+ miles, I paid more than I expected. Around here, supply of boats is pretty thin.
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 20:08   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My guess is that the prices will soften once the pandemic eases and people get back to recreating the way they used to.

Many people bought boats, RVs and recreational properties because they couldn't spend their money on travel and vacation packages. Some will stick with their boats, but most will go back to what they really love, and will be happy to get rid of their Covid purchases.

But I'm not expecting this to happen till at least 2022 if not 2023.

Ya Mike...I think we are on the same page. I did not suspect boats would sell because of a pandemic. Apparently some thought they needed to escape while others had a lot of time on their hands and needed a new hobby and still others were just following suit. I do not know the percentages. I like to browse the ebay sailboat ads and noticed the inventory was chopped to 1/3rd. of the "pre-COVID" numbers before. I hope they do stay high for 2022 as I am thinking of side move with my current vessel. I did notice derelicts and fixers are still cheap and still around in numbers though. Recently a fixer Tayana 37 sold on ebay for around $12K.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, price, sail, sailboat