Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 17:42   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Burn Kerosene in Diesel Cookstove?

In my galley refit I am installing a Dickinson Bering diesel cook stove. It was suggested to me by someone that has cruised a lot with diesel stoves that I might want to run the stove on kerosene rather than diesel. I was told, because of the higher BTU rating, heat up time is shorter and it burns more efficiently.....any opinions on this. Because of my set up I would be able to use gravity feed, can I use the diesel "carborator" that came with the stove or do I need one designed for kerosene, and would the one from my recently retired kerosene heater work (I replaced it with a wood stove).
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 17:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I doubt that there would much, if any, difference between diesel and kerosene in your stove. As far as energy output, believe they are very close and doubt the start up time will be any difference. You are talking about a drip burner, her not something like the Primus burners. Kero may not even work because of it's slightly different density. I can tell you from experience that diesel does not work in a Kero stove. The cost is going to be a lot higher with kero unless you can find a source for it in bulk. Check your local Home Depot to see the retail cost. If you can find diesel without the road tax, it's really quite cheap.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35 with a Taylor Kero Cooker.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 19:27   #3
Eternal Member

actually diesel with out the road tax (at the marina fuel dock) is about 80 cents a gallon *more* than at the Safe Way gas station 100yards from the fuel dock w/road tax....I carry 5 gallon cans over to the gas station in a dock cart and save $20 if I were to fill my 25gal fuel tank from empty.
I can get kerosene a lot cheaper than at places like Home Depot.
Old 01-07-2009, 21:12   #4

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Kerosene has a lower viscosity than diesel. Therefore more kerosene than diesel would be sprayed out, if I had to guess 10-20% more. They both have the same heat content per gallon. It would be hotter as you are burning more fuel per hour.
You may have to fiddle a little with the air mixture a little to compensate for the different type of fuel.
That’s my best guess.
Kerosene does burn cleaner.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 22:30   #5
Eternal Member

i have a carborator set for a kerosene heater.
Old 01-07-2009, 23:14   #6

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
The two carburetors may not be and most likely are not interchangeable.
Operating the stove with a hotter or to be more precise a flame which produces more heat could cause problems.
It is tempting of course and I have done the same with propane by installing an adjustable regulator. We have turned up the pressure so we could heat water quicker for lobsters or noodles. It now puts out about twice the heat as it did before. We also use a lot more propane.
If the manufacturer does not have a recommendation either way there is only one way to find out.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
It is not an exact corollary, but you can use kerosene in an eberspacher heater, and it will burn much more cleanly - as red diesel in UK does not have a lot of the fancy additives used in road diesel, it can burn very dirtily and clog up the jet, a brief use of kerosene instead will clean it up nicely.

You can use kerosene in a diesel car as well, but it needs some additional oil in it otherwise the pumps complain.

I remember on my Grandparents farm in the 50s, the old tractor was actually a kerosene burner, started on petrol, and once warm turned over to kerosene (much cheaper then)
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12   #8
Eternal Member

I will not have a problem with the pumps complaining (my stove is gravity fed), then main problem with running kerosene in a diesel engine is that you don't have as much lubrication in the cylinders, but this is a diesel cookstove/oven, I am not debateing whether to have propane or diesel....I will be able to keep my two burner propane cook top. This is what my diesel stove looks like, I have been told that kerosene *will* work and is actally better, I just wanted a second opinion and to find out some of the fine points....like carborator, fuel consumtion, etc...
Old 02-07-2009, 10:30   #9

Years ago I had drip feed diesel boat heaters (two diff ones, one was a High Seas brand, I thnk the other was a Shipmate?) They both burned far better and cleaner on kerosene.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:28   #10
Eternal Member

It's not a major retrofit, I can experiment with both. Kerosene *will* run in a heater/stove designed for diesel, but not the other way around. The person that told me about this has been cruising for quite some time with a variety of Dickinson Diesel stoves and heaters and has used kerosene with superior results....so he told me, I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience doing this.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:03   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
You need to either recalibrate the float chamber or buy one ready set up

Kerosene is known as 28 second fuel. ........thats the time a measured amount takes to run via gravity through an orifice of a given size
Diesel is known as 35 second.

The difference is the viscosity.

Kerosene is also known here as heating oil and is the same fuel as AVJET......aviation jet fuel

Its not wise to use kerosene in diesel engines other than as a brief cleanser or winter fuel additive to prevent waxing of diesel, at 10% blend.
Kerosene will soften and deteriorate seals and O rings in some fuel systems.
It can burn in a different pattern in certain cylinders and cause hot spots which the engine wasnt designed for

Red or duty free agricultural diesel doesnt have the low sulfur additives that road fuel has, it produces marginally less power and requires a different type of oil which contains different detergents needed to keep the engine clean
Old 02-07-2009, 15:25   #12

We've had much better luck burning kerosene in our Dickinson than using diesel... the kero burns hotter and much cleaner. You may need to recalibrate your metering valve slightly to avoid overheating. I would say, go for it.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 18:51   #13
Eternal Member

Dickinson sent me instructions on how to recalibrate the stove for kerosene
Old 20-02-2015, 15:34   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Trawler 32ft
Re: Burn Kerosene in Diesel Cookstove?

The oil valves for the Dickinson stoves are interchangeable. The valve just needs to be re-calibrated.

No matter if the fuel is diesel, kero or stove oil, it just needs to drip 1 teaspoon per minute on setting #1 for any stove with the 6" burner.

Many have said kerosene burns cleaner but it is thinner then diesel so more is used. So any Dickinson diesel heater or stove can run on kerosene or stove oil, no problem!

DickinsonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Burn Kerosene in Diesel Cookstove?

Glad to see you guys show up. There is the occasional thread about your prodipucts, and it seems like much confusion.

It would be nice to hear your input.

I have an Adriatic in a hunting cabin.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote