Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 09:17   #436
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Mind you some of the boats there do need to be hauled away. But a lot of the folks there are just people, who are just barely hanging on. Yes there is some crime and drugs. But more of the folks there are just people getting by. Last time I checked there were a many single women out there too.

Where do they go?
How about your little slice of heaven up in the delta? I'm sure you wouldn't mind having these people as your neighbors.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2015, 09:34   #437
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
How about your little slice of heaven up in the delta? I'm sure you wouldn't mind having these people as your neighbors.
Oddly I do have a few from Sausalito up here. One fellow spends part of the year here and part in Sausalito. But there are tons and tons of places to anchor in the delta and many many folks do. For those that like city life Sausalito is pretty much it for anchoring. Even Wrong found the Delta too rural.

It's still heaven too. Though hot as hell today at 100F. I was just outside, putting up the sun shades. I'm going for that Clampett look today. But I'll be swimming later too. Lovely weather.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2015, 15:54   #438
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Today was an early morning moving day for us.......

'just fifty miles, but a new place for a bit!
Old 25-06-2015, 16:32   #439

Quote:
Even Wrong found the Delta too rural.

It's still heaven too. Though hot as hell today at 100F. I was just outside, putting up the sun shades. I'm going for that [I]Clampett look today. But I'll be swimming later too. Lovely weather.
103F on my deck here in DB....nice and toasty.

This week's predicted lows in the low 60s, so sleep shouldn't be an issue.....nice and comfy.
Old 25-06-2015, 17:11   #440

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

It seems u feel free to look down on the impoverished. Does that include the aged and infirm? Do you follow a respect ur elders philosophy?

There but for the grace of ......... goes u. Believe it or not.

Now for the on topic comment:

A couple of guys had been living at anchor right off of the Houston ship channel at the mouth of the channel to our marina. The folks in the marina here worried about their safety anchored there.

It is nice to be able to say they they moved into a slip a few days ago.

Live aboards are welcome here at Bayland Marina. While I am technically a transient, I leave my deposit up here hoping they keep my favorite slip open.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:04   #441

Quote:
What with me living in my magic unicorn rainbow land. its no wonder we are at opposite ends of that bell curve.

No question that the diver is doing things a bit under the table as it were. But that is how corporate America operates. GE earns Billions each year, pays zero in taxes. Apple stores it's earnings in overseas banks and pays little in taxes. Why I'm not at all worried about a diver making a few bucks.

LOL, well you cruisers (nice dig, BTW) can have the mooring ball near the fuel dock. Not my idea of a nice place to anchor. Too much boat traffic.
Quote:
I know you've been around the world a few times. but I bet I have more miles sailed these last 4 months then you. OK it's only about 150 miles, really nothing. But gee has your boat even moved in the last four months?
You've mentioned previously you never see me on my boat. The implication is my boat is unattended and I don't live on her. I invited you to stop by any time between 05:00 and 17:00 and we'd talk about this stuff over a cuppa. Well, I don't believe your in any better position to comment on whether or not my boat's moved in the last four months.

Quote:
Where is this You and us. You talk like you live on the hill. yet, you yourself are anchoring (well mooring) out. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black. To the fine folks on the hill, you are part of the problem.

Just saying.
Says you.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2015, 18:12   #442

Quote:
Ah the BCDC... Your right. I just can't keep the alphabet agency's straight.

Yet there have always been anchor outs in Richardson bay. Yes some of the boats are an eyesore. No question there. But many, maybe 50% or so, appear to be clean and seaworthy, or at least bay worthy.
Quote:
So your saying as long as they pay for the privilege to anchor in the bay, with no services provided, it's fine. Mind you it is a federal special anchorage. Maybe the boaters need to pay BLM to anchor and not the state or city.

But no worry's looks like the fine folks anchoring will be paying their fair share to anchor in Richardson bay, based on what Wrong was saying. Then everything will be 100% fine......
You're not paying attention because this is a misrepresentation of what I've said and what's planned by the RBRA. There has been no mention anywhere of a requirement boaters pay to anchor in the Bay.

Suggest you go back and re-read my comments, 'cause I'm not going to waste my time saying it again.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2015, 18:33   #443
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
103F on my deck here in DB....nice and toasty.

This week's predicted lows in the low 60s, so sleep shouldn't be an issue.....nice and comfy.
Only 92 inside the boat, but that's with the sun shades up. Plus got two swimming sessions in to cool down a bit. Lovely weather.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:43   #444
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You're not paying attention because this is a misrepresentation of what I've said and what's planned by the RBRA. There has been no mention anywhere of a requirement boaters pay to anchor in the Bay.

Suggest you go back and re-read my comments, 'cause I'm not going to waste my time saying it again.
Oh your right. Though I figure that after a few years of a managed anchorage, I could see a user fee being added for the long term folk. I wonder how many will choose a mooring ball.

BTW as a Blonde it is my right to misrepresent things. It's practically required.

I also wonder what they will consider an appropriate anchor and rode combination.

Last couple of times I stopped by the fuel dock, Noonish, both times, your wash boards were up, so I figured you were elsewhere.

But your right. You could be cruising when I'm not visiting Sausalito, which is after all not that often.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:51   #445

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Only 92 inside the boat, but that's with the sun shades up. Plus got two swimming sessions in to cool down a bit. Lovely weather.
Hope it cools after the Fourth when we'll be anchoring onto drowned Mildred Island.
Old 25-06-2015, 19:05   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hope it cools after the Fourth when we'll be anchoring onto drowned Mildred Island.
Forecast is mid 90's or so all next week. Probably a few degrees hotter where your going. Though I find it 5-6 degrees cooler on the water. Plus humidity is 28% at the moment.

I need to design a swamp cooler for my boat. That would be spiffy.

Hey Mark, Do you recall that old white with pink trim sailboat anchored off mare Island last week, that your Coot passed. Guess Who?
Old 26-06-2015, 10:06   #447

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
... Hey Mark, Do you recall that old white with pink trim sailboat anchored off mare Island last week, that your Coot passed. Guess Who?
yes, but don't recall seeing anyone onboard.
Old 26-06-2015, 13:40   #448
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yes, but don't recall seeing anyone onboard.
I was down below doing that engineering thingy. or sleeping.
Old 28-06-2015, 22:14   #449

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

greetings fellow cruisers,

I am a new member planning on cruising Florida this winter. I confess that I did not read EVERY posting yet but enough to get the gist of it. Florida has issues.....

This can be debated until lake Okechobee freezes over but I would like to make a suggestion. Either here or starting a separate thread we start compiling a database of places that are receptive to us or unfriendly. Also a list of anchorages we can go to and a list of those to avoid.

We won't be able to make a signifigant change in things but we can avoid and make public specific places, for or against. By not going to a place we can do a tiny part by witholding our pennies. They don't want us anyway so don't go there but we need a list.

Is anyone a member of the Great Loop Assn? I'll bet we can get some input from them.

I am a senior on a 32' sailboat on the Tenn Tom in Alabama until hurricane season is over then plan to cruise the west coast of Florida to the keys and maybe up the East coast. No destination in mind, Just gunkholeing along.

Caint spell none too good. Sorry

So waddayathink?

Heck, maybe even get names of water police who hassel boaters and video the encounters. Make em famous on Youtube.
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-06-2015, 01:34   #450

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

Quote:

Docking overnight at a marina there was expensive, about $1.50 a foot.
a 1 dollar 50 a foot - you'd be sunk if you had to tie up here cos its nearer 4 dollars a foot where i'm tied up and in other marinas near where i slip its the equivalent of 8 or 9 dollars a foot
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted