Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2008, 18:00   #46

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by markje4 View Post
I'm 55 looking at 2 more years in the workforce before I can do what you are doing. I am sooo envious that you are doing it at your time in life.
For me - after 35 years in the workforce - I have got too much tied up in my superannuation to leave any sooner. I would lose a packet of money and would be severely restricted in my retirement dreams. If only I had embraced a cruising life in my younger days...
Go for it!
I'm 55 in 1 week. Six (6) months ago I was going to retire in 2 years, 2 weeks ago I was going to retire in 7 months ,last week I decided to retire within 1 month. I figure what ever money I will loose from my superannuation I will be able to recoup in a new activity if I really need it.

I will keep my new 26M trailor sailor in boat storage in Virginia (james moore [yorkhavenmarina@yahoo.com]) for 75$ a month in the winter and haul it back to Quebec in the spring.

People ask me if I won at the lottery....fellow workers look at me strange. The wife and kids like the ideal. My 17yr old son wants to retire with me.... lol He really wants to sail to Cuba with me next year!

My advice ....if it feels good do it..you'll make the people around you feel good too!

If I can't make ends meet ( after a few years) I'll get a seasonal job and sail the rest of the year
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:03   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Hey Frost...Hope you are still tuned into this thread. Here is a quote by Bernard Motessier whaich i have always kept close to heart. Perhaps you might find solice in it also...
'I believe our purpose in life is to participate in creating the world. Each of us according to our sail surface, our draft, our tonnage, our ability to point up, to heave-to, to bear the weight of breaking waves while running before the wind. And I believe in the depths of my being that no one can break that law without cutting himself off from the human race'
Fair wind frost...just do it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 23:02   #48

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
I'm still here. I've sort of been tuned out/discouraged for a while because of a legal matter with my money. It's tied up in a franchise that I backed out of and am having trouble re-cooping. I've actually been in Oklahoma with my family since Christmas and haven't seen my boat since before Thanksgiving! Very discouraging... On the other hand, these posts have been absolutely encouraging! All I think about all day, every day is getting back to the boat and sailing away.

Since I have actually made the move - house on the market, selling my stuff, selling my car, buying a boat, etc... - people have actually come around to the idea. The response now seems to be more of envy and it appears that I will be a mobile vacation spot for my friends who need to get away from their lives for a week.

BTW - are there any attorneys out there that want to help me sue the crap out of a dead-beat franchisor? The situation has gone past ridiculous!

Thanks for the positive feedback. It has kept me going through the winter here in Oklahoma. As for those who have said they are also considering this lifestyle, I have to say GO FOR IT. This decision has brought me more joy than anything I have ever done.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 23:35   #49

Boat: 2000 Chaparral 240 Signature 24' - That's Life
Send a message via Yahoo to Freebyrdjason
pirate

Hi Frost. I noticed it had been about three months since your last update. I hope everything is working out for you. Please keep us posted on your adventure. I read all the posts and now I'm realizing that I am no way CRAZY at my thoughts! Happy Sailing...
Old 16-06-2008, 04:47   #50

If you own a boat you are, by definition, crazy. So what? Have a great time.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote