Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2007, 21:38   #1

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Am I Crazy??

I leave in two days to close on my boat in Florida. I sold my car today. Sold some furniture too. Found a new home for my cat. Calling a lease management company tomorrow about leasing the house. I have no job, no plans, an extremely well-found boat (Island Packet 27) and enough to make it for about 6 months. WTF am I doing?!?!?
I thought that I had some overseas work lined up that was going to keep me in the green for about 5 years but it looks like that might have just fallen through.

My parents think it's brilliant. My friends think I'm a jackass (that was the nicest word they used that I feel comfortable enough sharing with ya'll).

Add another liveaboard to the list.

Someone, please. Tell me that I'm not crazy or going through an early mid-life crisis (at 31)!
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 21:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Everything you are doing is crazy except getting rid of the cat. That is pure brilliance - hahahaha....

Seriously - Get out there. It sounds awesome!

(but I'm not kidding about the cat...)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 22:12   #3
Kai Nui

Do it. Do it now. If you don't. Send me the money, and the keys for the boat and I will do it for you
Old 30-10-2007, 00:44   #4

I agree with everyone else here, just do it. All of your friends and rellies are just jealous of the fact that you are doing this great adventure. Trust me, it is far better to have at least tried it, then to have never done it at all. Never listen to other people, just listen to yourself and your true inner feelings, you won't ever go wrong doing that.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. Do keep us posted on the entire adventure if possible. Just ignore all of their comments, as soon as you're on the water, all of it should just melt away.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 01:13   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I agree to the above. Crazy is relative. Sometimes its good to be crazy. I wish I had been crazier at a younger age. I got some of the same responses when I sold basically everything but my Middle East Employment did pan out. I envy you doing this at your age.
Old 30-10-2007, 04:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Someone, please. Tell me that I'm not crazy or going through an early mid-life crisis (at 31)!
You can't have an early mid life crisis (they call it something else) but you could be crazy. Crazy for not going or become crazy after you leave. So no matter what happends you could have had an on time mid life crisis and have gone crazy and still can. Your possibilities remain always open.

Cruising isn't a destinatation it's a journey because the day you leave you are already there. Just don't let the journey become an itinerary turned into a schedule. You may find a destination. If it happens then be sure you understand why.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 06:52   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
In the end I truly believe it will be what we didn’t do not what we did that will be our biggest regret. We do what we do because we choose to. In the last seconds of my life I don’t want to be thinking “But I didn’t get to - - -“I tell my boys that as long as some one else doesn’t pay for your action then it’s their life now to do as they wish. But remember every one pays to dance. Who wants to live this life and miss the dance?
Old 30-10-2007, 08:13   #8

Boat: Pearson 26
No Mrs. Frost, or li'l Frosts? GO! (While you still can!)
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 08:28   #9

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Thanks guys. Those are the responses I expected and needed to hear. I am unbelievably excited. I fly out in the morning and will spend a few weeks aboard getting to know the boat and doing some shake-downs. Then back to TX to pack my stuff and move it to storage - then Thanksgiving with the family - then back to my new home in FL. It really is a great feeling to know this is all happening!

Probably fodder for a new thread, but if there is anyone living aboard in FL and has some recommendations for a good marina, I'd love to hear it. I might stay the winter or I might stay a month. I look forward to meeting some of you Floridians out there.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 08:30   #10

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
If your friends and family think you're crazy then you must be doing something right Hope the weather clears up by the time you get here. It's rainy and windy in southeast florida this week.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 12:37   #11

After Thanksgiving, you are ideally positioned to cross to the Bahamas. A Bahamas cruising permit for your boat is only $150 and anchoring is generally free. All cruisers are at least a little bit crazy - so you'll fit right in. Hmmm, all cats are also a little bit crazy - I'm surprised you're not taking him/her.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 13:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Read my signature...there is your answer. Mr. Clemens had it right.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 14:45   #13

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
When my wife and I, in our early thirties, quit our jobs to go cruising the Gulf and East Coat Intercoastal Waterway to Maine our parents and friends didn't understand, but we lost track of all the older cruisers we met who wished that they would have gone sooner. And those memories of the cruising life are what keep me, now with my nose to the grindstone, sane! Back out there in a couple more years - John
Old 30-10-2007, 15:49   #14

Boat: NONE yet
Any time I talk about selling everything and buying a boat to live on and sail , everyone is like that sounds great, Can I come too? I live In Arizona so maybe the heat is getting to everyone.
Crazy would be wasting your life away working a job that you don't really like but do to pay the bills. Crazy would be letting other people opinions of you make your decisions for you. Crazy would be keeping that sofa that you really don't need. Crazy would be have a detailed time line of what exactly you are going to be doing for the next 5 years.

Have fun, wishing it was me.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 15:56   #15

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
You are not crazy. Do it now bofore you become an old fart.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote