Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 04:51   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I love you guys but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
So where is the log etc.

I am envious but I want to follow you because next year the plan is to take 2gether (our Mahe 36) up to the reef.

daniel
I reckon if I had a boat and the Whitsundays to explore I might naively tell you I will post daily logs.

Here on Reality Island I would be sailing all day and sipping rum drinks and watching sunsets in the evenings. Internet, as wonderful as it is would be low on my list

Let's not give oldie a hard time... Until after he gets back!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 05:36   #32

Quote:
Plenty of better spots south of the $hit$unday$ IMHO if you have your own boat, most people rush past them which suits me fine.

goldsmith or further south ?....Anchorages safe to hang or a long way to go if there is a wind shift?....at night usually.....

If you have some cruisey bolt holes I would like to know...PM me...I like a secret too....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 16:44   #33
DtM

Hey Dan,

You are right.

DtM
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 16:45   #34
DtM

Hey Dave,

Give us a heads up on places south of the Whitsundays.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 19:57   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
favourite spots in red

Military Training areas in Blue, Check whats on here Outside pilotage areas - current notices to mariners before entering (look for Shoalwater Bay)

Inside here
, no good for mono's but anchor out and dinghy in. Very spectacular at high tide and during whale season they are often in very close near beach
Google Maps

Behind here, again great in an easterly through to northerly as is all of that coastline, hear the whales through the hull at night, plenty of Mackeral up that coastline as well
Google Maps

Mono's can get into Musgrave easily, light multis with lifting everything can sometimes get into Fairfax if they know the way in and I aint telling.

lagoon is full of rooting turtles during the season
Anchor out and dinghy in, very nice
Google Maps

Fitzroy reef, you can get in here easily enough, good diving and as protected as Musgrave
Google Maps

You can find a sandy patch to anchor in behind most of these reefie Islands for protection from a SE wind but you dont really want to be out here if prolonged 20 knots is happenning

1770, not bad, has a fairly shallow entrance on low, but shouldnt cause any dramas, call Josie on the VHF at the local VMR
Google Maps

Pancake creek is better and just a bit further, deep water access for all, just watch the reef edge half way in. Have caught some big fish and crabs in here.
Google Maps

Yellowpatch, no good for monos, though I have seen Trawlers in here before. Good bolt hole for strong southerlies as is Cape Cap in general, but a swell does sometimes sweep around, wont bother a multi, but monos will roll horificaly
Google Maps

The Keppels, truly beautiful and very quiet so a lot of places you will have to youself. A beach for every wind direction
Google Maps

Waterpark creek, quiet, no good for Mono's
Google Maps

Freshwater, lovely clean beach and water, good fish caught of norther rock patch, nice spot to spend a few days in a southerly
Google Maps

Port Clinton. Well protected, Mudcrabs and rock cod abound
Google Maps

Island Head Creek like Port Clinton and where most people stop, Some of the biggest (palm size shell) oysters I have ever eaten, and no, not telling where. Big crabs and fish.
All the north facing beaches around here are spectacular in the right weather
Google Maps

Then its real adventure land, no one goes in here, 30 foot tides, big sharks, crocs, crabs, fish, unexplored nirvana but get some wind against those tides and pretty scary at times. One could spent years in here exploring
Google Maps

In behind here is good protection, good fishing if you can get them onboard, Veeery sharky
Google Maps

this is a nice group with the western beach of Hunter offering excellent SE protection, back beaches of Marble are good as well
Google Maps

beach at Hexham is pretty
Google Maps

Curlews nice as well with good southerly protection
Google Maps

Middle Percy is nice, gets rolly at times and Shute Island may offer better protection. Note how close you are to some of the reef on the right
Google Maps

Scawfell, nuff said
Google Maps

pretty around here as well
Google Maps

Goldsmith, The one spot I havent been but looks good
Google Maps

South side of Shaw is spectacular in the right weather
Google Maps

And then, it turns into charterboat central, Tranquility shattered

Definitely worth getting a copy of this before heading up (Pic of Yellowpatch on cover)

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_it...AbsolutePage=4

Have fun

Dave
Old 30-09-2008, 20:10   #36

GREAT post Cat Man Do!!! I've always heard that the whitsundays were full of amazing spots and islands, but I had NO idea it was that plentiful and gorgeous!!! And I bet this is just the tip of the iceburg concerning islands and spots regarding the whitsundays and great barrier reef!! Thanks again
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 20:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
GREAT post Cat Man Do!!! I've always heard that the whitsundays were full of amazing spots and islands, but I had NO idea it was that plentiful and gorgeous!!! And I bet this is just the tip of the iceburg concerning islands and spots regarding the whitsundays and great barrier reef!! Thanks again
Ermm, none of those spots are in the $hitsundays, thats my point.

Long way to sail to get crowded in and ripped off, but then, I like self sufficiency and no crowds, others like it different

Dave
Old 30-09-2008, 21:23   #38

Even better!!!! I just quickly assumed that it was in that general area. I've always told my wife that we could spend out entire life just discovering all of the gorgeous spots in and around OZ.

Sorry for the assumption, I just wanted to quickly check out the aerial maps!! The rest was just assumed.. I do keep forgetting that there is another 99% of this great country to discover. As well as Lord Howe Island, etc.. Thanks again for the nuggets of goodness!!
Old 30-09-2008, 23:07   #39

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
best spots

This time "GoldRush" went to other places like Thirsty Sounds. Big tides big rocks on the shore line but it has the "Crab Pot Bar". I can tick this one off my list now!!

Presently anchored in the Boyne River just south of Gladstone.

Now just going south without any time limits. Hell I like retirement!!

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50   #40

Catman....well thanks sort of....I did want you to keep it a little quite......but hey....

scawfell , goldsmith, are still apart of the charter group.

all round good stuff.... thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 04:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Catman....well thanks sort of....I did want you to keep it a little quite......but hey....

scawfell , goldsmith, are still apart of the charter group.

all round good stuff.... thanks
Well as 99% on here are Sepo's I reckon they should be safe enough and are you sure about Scawfell and Goldsmith?

Last time I spoke to a charterer they said the North side of Shaw was the limit for them

Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52   #42

...times do change...but A long time ago I charted a beny ....We had no money and wanted to go to Indonesia, but is turned out at the last minute my partner was prego. So no off shore. next option Whitsundays....a long time ago...we where hooked up with a 34....they asked if we would mind upgrading to a 36(or close) first..Sure we said...then some other people came along and we got asked on the dock...38 oceanis...for the same money... SURE we said......14 days ...and we got told many times that we had traveled further and to more places than anybody they had charted too. Including the "far south" !! fond memory's. like all places I am sure that it has changed completely. Thats why my my question. I charted not long after the whole area started to "take off" as a very young man. As I am hopefully putting the big boat in the water this Christmas, winter in the Whits is on the cards. As a live aboard we are going to do sea trials...then an east coast tassie thing and then hopefully slide up the coast .........you know it makes sense.....

ps....for the first time.....my partner and I who have small assets, a low income but absolutely NO debts (at mid 40s) are getting a pay out. TIME !!
Old 02-10-2008, 22:51   #43

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Day 2-10 (In Breief)

Hello all. Sorry my Vodapone Connection let me down and every time I got a connection I was Just too busy absorbing what has to be one of the BEST places on earth to sail. In addition had a little problem with a dislocated finger that need a LOT of alcohol to Fix.

Give me an hour and I will start posting some pictures and thoughts. I will try and answerr ALL your qestions.

SORRY again ..to be continued (today)
Old 03-10-2008, 00:18   #44

GREAT to see that you are still around and kicking!!! And please don't be sorry, I can fully understand trying to really enjoy your trip and everything in it!! I think that We've been just very anxious to see everything. At least I know I am since I plan on heading that way sometime (soon I hope).

Thanks again for responding and your time to post during your free time!! Cheers!!
Old 03-10-2008, 00:38   #45

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Day 2 (Provisions and briefing)
The boat – Bavarian 50 (2006)
Good condition, clean and well maintained. Had a generator and freezer, the former water intake got blocked and need some attention. Charter Company responded promptly and fixed while we were in Cids Inlet. Three cabins, aft were small and forward large and spacious the fourth cabin was full of provisions and fenders. Plenty of water we had to fill tanks only once. Plenty of fuel and sailed well.

The provisioning (Gold standard for 9 days)
Fantastic selection of various meats, seafood’s and chicken. Fresh vegetables, fruit and a wide selection of tin foods. Plenty of chocolate, biscuits and even frozen pies. There was also a selection of cut meat for sandwiches. This was great when sailing and eating on the run. We were re provisioned after 6 days and this involved berthing at Hamilton Island and paying and extra $38 to have these delivered to the Island. Fresh bread was perhaps the only problem so if you have bread maker bring it if you can.

Chatter Company
Extremely nice, efficient, helpful and polite. All charts and “100 magic miles …” included. Daily reposts of intended passage and nightly reports of arrival. Had to report in and be a anchor by 4.00pm. No hidden charges or fees so we got what we expected and paid what we expected.

The crew
Resplendent in Red, yes I had shits for each of them in case we lost them overboard or on- shore. Ha they look great?

To be continued .....