Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 19:10   #16

Boat: Alajuela 38 Cutter
Re: Seattle to San Diego Cruise

This is such an awesome forum, I'm getting the coolest advice from people from everywhere on the planet!! My particular thanks to Red Sky and Celestial Sailor re. Alameda, along with Robert Sailor.

My gut instinct (after 32 years of marriage) is to go with Ann T Cate's idea, my wife is no shrinking wall flower, she'll beotch a bit if it's constantly lumpy, but hangs like a troop when the chips are wicked. I'll put it to her with all laid out and try to get a consensus. Probably run south a bit earlier than needed, but time we have

I want to thank all of you for your help/advice. See you all at some time if I'm lucky enough.

Cead Mille Failte

Joe
Joe Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 19:38   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Joe, If you do stop in here in Alameda, shoot me a PM if you like, I'd be happy to give you a tour of the island.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 19:40   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Joe, I sailed Shilshole to San Diego in 6.5 days. Lived in SD for 3.5yrs. PM me with contact info and I can tell you all about it. I know where to go, and where to stay.

Worst stretches were Tatoosh to SF, and then rounding Pt. Conception.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 19:44   #19

Joe,

The Estuary is a great place. We're in Grand Marina between Alameda Marina and Fortmann's.

1. Do NOT call it Frisco or San Fran. It is San Francisco.

2. Buy Kimball Livingston's book Sailing The Bay. Forget the Mahaffey's Cruising Guide, Kimball's is a MUCH better book for your purposes.

3. If you plan ahead, try to spend more time here. You can "do" The Delta for a week or two. Free anchoring all over the place. Lots of marinas, too, but not so good for provisioning.

4. Forget Sausalito, there really ISN'T a dinghy dock. Schoonmaker Marina is one of the best, side tie guest dock, free wifi. But expensive on a daily basis.

5. Most Baja HaHa skippers leave here end Sept early Oct.

Have a safe journey, pm me when you're close, would be glad to make you welcome.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 21:11   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Joe, Check Fortman Marina, it's right next door to Alameda Marina and claims to be the lowest priced marina on the estuary. I'll second Celestial's comment, Alameda is very fun and safe. Also, it has convenient access to Svendsens and WM in addition to grocery and restaurants.
While Svendsens is still around. Big talk from a developer about tearing all the marine related businesses down and putting up condos!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 21:16   #21

P.S. Shoot me a line too and if you're here before the middle of October, I'll show you guys where the best Taqueria in the world is...Ramaras Brothers Taqueria. Then around the corner, the best Ice cream place in the world...Tuckers Super Creamed Ice Cream
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-03-2016, 21:19   #22

Dago?
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:22   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey Celestial, there's a wonderful, famous ice cream place on Grand Ave., in Piedmont (?) or maybe Montclair, called Fenton's, too. Incredible place, where my son ate a banana split made from bananas, yes, and 1/2 gal of various ice creams with exotic sauces when he was a teenager. Great ice cream, though.

Ann
Old 18-03-2016, 07:45   #24

Yes...that one is in Oakland. I would suggest a day time visit only...
Old 18-03-2016, 20:48   #25

Oh come on Celestial, Piedmont Ave is one of the safest places in Oakland. Fenton's is great for desert, but only after a Baja burger and the best steak fries at Barney's Gourmet Burgers down the street.
Old 18-03-2016, 21:05   #26

No problem...but I think I'll do lunch there.
Old 18-03-2016, 21:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No problem...but I think I'll do lunch there.

Name the date, I'm buying.
Old 18-03-2016, 22:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Prepared my boat for the sail to Hawaii at Fortman's in Alameda. Everything I needed from metal fabrication, to sail/canvas work, to electronics was easy to access either walking or short ride on my Bike Friday. With a bike, you can get all over the Bay using Bart if you want to explore a bit. You can get to Napa with your boat if you want to do a little wine and cruising. Just be sure you get to Mare Island when the bridge tender is there. Lots of places further inland you can sail to. Possible to get almost all the way to Sacramento via boat. Was not impressed with Sausalito in the summer, cold, overcast and windy. Might be better in the fall. Could easily spend a month or more exploring the Bay if you want to take a lengthy break in your sail south.

Made the sail from the Bay to Newport Beach twice, once in the summer and once in January. It was warmer and weather better in the winter for the sail south. Both were great sails at near hull speed all the way to point conception in force 4-5 NW winds.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 08:39   #29

I always plan on approaching conception at first light with sails furled and engine on for the next 30 miles. I've hit it with either a solid force 6 or 0.
Old 19-03-2016, 08:56   #30

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Why would anyone want to stop in SF? Unless you want to get rolled by a bunch of queers or visit the bath house scene? Lived there for a few years in the early 80's and avoid the place like the plague!
Keep sailing and stop in Santa Cruz, Monterey or Moss Landing... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, san diego, seattle