Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 00:49   #76

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Leaving from Seattle to San Francisco then across the Pacific

Last Friday we made it into Hilo and anchored at Reeds bay. We had some heavy weather the last week and for 6 days straight all we could have up is a 3rd reef on our main sail. We will be here in Hilo probably until the 1st to wait out the storm that was chasing us here and then sail for Honolulu where we will make some repairs to the sails and other items before continuing to the Marshals and Philippines.

Old 21-12-2015, 04:05   #77
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great News!
The worst of it is over as once you leave Hawaii, the Trades develop and the fishing gets better.

We have had some late season depressions in the Philippines but the cool winds are established and the ITCS positions seem OK.

Long term they are saying that by April, water temps in Philippine Sea will be back to normal.

So, if I were you I would go the Milk Run of Marshalls/Microneso/Palau/Hinatuan Pass to Cebu.....unless you were still thinking of Samal?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:19   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great News!
The worst of it is over as once you leave Hawaii, the Trades develop and the fishing gets better.

We have had some late season depressions in the Philippines but the cool winds are established and the ITCS positions seem OK.

Long term they are saying that by April, water temps in Philippine Sea will be back to normal.

So, if I were you I would go the Milk Run of Marshalls/Microneso/Palau/Hinatuan Pass to Cebu.....unless you were still thinking of Samal?
That sounds like a good passage, yeah thinking of going through Hinatuan Pass and checking in at Cebu.

We will spend some time in Honolulu and just watch the sea temp.
Looking forward to more fishing. We caught a tuna and a Mahi Mahi along the way. so far the Mahi Mahi is my favorite!
Old 22-12-2015, 14:05   #79

Boat: Freedom 38

That's great to hear! How did Sonia feel about that passage? She must have her sea legs by now. Good luck on the next hops and getting repairs done. Enjoy the holidays
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 15:25   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What sails needed mending? I am jealous, the PNW is a cold place right now. Why would you go to Ohau from Hawaii?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 11:24   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
That's great to hear! How did Sonia feel about that passage? She must have her sea legs by now. Good luck on the next hops and getting repairs done. Enjoy the holidays
Sonia decided to fly from Monterey to Hilo, so I took 2 new crew members with me. Jessica and Louis. They did a good job helping me get to Hawaii.

Next week Sonia will sail with me to Honolulu
Old 23-12-2015, 11:31   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What sails needed mending? I am jealous, the PNW is a cold place right now. Why would you go to Ohau from Hawaii?
We have some minor tears in most of the sails and ripped the main sail almost on half during a squall. I have spares for all the sails but want everything usable for the next trip.

There is really nothing here in Hilo to get any kind of marine supplies or repairs done, so thus the reason why we need to go to Honolulu. but I like the big Island because its quiet and away from all the tourist traps
Old 25-12-2015, 15:17   #83

Hey guys, great job...
I'm sure you're having a blast. Let me just say, I'm proud of you guys committing yourselves to doing something in life that most people only "think" about doing. The voyage should offer you a positive life altering experience that you'll never forget - especially spending some time in the south pacific and the Philippines.

Enjoy yourselves and be safe always... fall inlove again with one another while on your journey, and remember, there will be others who will follow after you, taking your experience with them as they cruise the world's seas in search for adventure.

Keep us informed with each leg you endeavor - fair winds my-friends, fair winds.
Bow Thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:47   #84

Hello everyone. after 18 days out from Honolulu, I safely made it to Majuro earlier this week and checking out the island. Next week I will be heading to Kosrae

Old 12-04-2016, 08:25   #85

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

That's wonderful. I'm avidly following you on the charts as I hope we'll be following in your wake very soon! Please keep on posting - there's a lot of people back here watching your progress with big grins...
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 16:19   #86

Windrush II at her mooring in Mamjuro, Marshall Islands

Old 15-04-2016, 17:25   #87

We spent a year in the Marshalls, I wouldn't be in a hurry to leave there, lots to see and do, especially if you dive. People on the outer islands are wonderful. Say hi to Kerry and Karin for us, nice couple that are a fixture there. Our old boat was Cardinal Sin. PS your boat looks very cool. Another gal there is Rixine on a Cat, also nice lady.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 17:58   #88
CF Adviser

Hi Windrush.... Have you decided on your route to the Philippines?

While the El Nino has moderated, temps are still above norm and we are already getting SW changes in Subic

You can get details from this link but summary below

http://asmc.asean.org/asmc-el-nino/

Updated on 14 April 2016

The El Niño continued to weaken in March 2016 but is still at a strong-to-moderate level based on March’s Niño3.4 sea-surface temperature (SST) readings (Figure A). Recent atmospheric responses to El Niño correspond to its observed weakening. For example, the trade winds over the tropical Pacific Ocean are near normal, and cloudiness near the dateline is looking less like typical El Niño conditions. The Niño3.4 index for March 2016 is 1.8 (Figure B) and the latest 3-month average (Jan-Mar) dropped from 2.7 to 2.3.

Large-scale rainfall response to the El Niño in terms of widespread, drier-than-normal conditions was observed over many parts of the Southeast Asia region for March 2016 (Figure C). International climate models and expert assessment suggest that the current El Niño is likely to weaken by the middle of 2016 (Figure D) and either La Niña or neutral conditions are likely to occur in the second half of 2016 (Figure E).

Impact of El Niño on Southeast Asia

Typically the impact from El Niño for the Southeast Asia region is drier-than-normal rainfall conditions, especially for the southern parts during June to October (Figure F). Locally-specific impact differs from place to place and for different seasons.

The region is now in the inter-monsoon season (Mar-May) where the impact from El Niño is not as significant as the June to October period and is also limited to parts of the region between 0°-10°N (Figure G). Nevertheless, during the past strong El Niño events (1982-83 and 1997-98), drier conditions were observed over large parts of the region during March and April of 1983 and 1998.
Old 29-04-2016, 22:19   #89

]Hello All,

I arrived in beautiful Pohnpei Micronesia on the 28th and already took a tour of the island. This is definitely a must stop for anyone cruising the Pacific.

There is a new small marina and resort in the bay called Mangrove Hotel and Marina. I anchored outside in good holding, but you can also rent a slip for $4 a ft per month. They will divide it by the days you stay so not too bad. There is also showers, fuel dock, water and garbage disposal and internet. Better than anything I experienced in Hawaii!

[IMG]https://www.facebook.com/windrush2/p...989508/?type=3[/IMG]

Old 30-04-2016, 01:50   #90
CF Adviser

Great to know as I will be there next year.....If you have the time.... Head into Ant Atoll which is on the SW corner of Phonpei.
Diving just outside the pass is magic

Tags
san francisco, seattle