Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 17:59   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C
Bringing Her Home Tomorrow

My first thread other than meet and greet...

Bought a S2 9.2c. Finishing deal tomorrow am. Been shopping hard for all the "stuff" lately. Plan is to meet broker early. Install a new second bilge pump and autopilot in morning. Cast off from Isle of hope in Savannah Ga noonish. Motor the ICW to Beaufort SC and decide whether to head offshore or anchor out that evening. Hopefully offshore and head northeast along coast overnight toward ultimate destination, Myrtle Beach SC. Weather looks perfect. Winds starting off west at 20+ then shifting north. Solo.

Plan B is to anchor/dock and continue under power up ICW. But what fun is that? If anything is gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there...

Extra anchors, radios, Boat US, liferafts, using MX Mariner on my phone and a Nexus 7, heater, bucket, cigars, flask of whiskey for courage. Arrr
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: Brining her home tomorrow

Congratulations! Don't let the excitement affect your judgement though. You don't want your maiden voyage to be a nightmare. Remember that new boats have hidden issues that can rear their ugly heads at very inopportune times. If I were you I would wait another day or two to let the weather settle. Take a look at Passageweather.com, look at the wind's, pressures, and sea conditions to make an informed decision.
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

Update us with your progress!
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

Dave,

Welcome, fellow aviator. A bilge pump and an autopilot install before lunch? I'm guessing that you're messing with us. If not, I'm hiring you for my next project!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

You will have to give us a review of how it did on her maiden voyage. What sort of autopilot are you installing?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11   #5

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Gratz on the new to You sailing vessel. Looks like the mid atlantic states are getting a little snow action
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:44   #6

Spent all day tuning the rig with a tuner guy and installing a st4000 pilot. Dang pilot wouldn't power up at end of day. Didn't leave today due to late start and winds were about 40 here in savannah all day. Sleeping on boat tonight and early shove off in am.
Old 06-03-2013, 19:02   #7

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
My buddy has a 9.2 (AC) and that is a good sailing boat! I hope you enjoy her! Gratz!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36   #8

I awoke early to the brisk clear calm moring. Perfect for departure. Fired up diesel, untied, and managed to get away from the dock untouched. Started for the icw, and when advancing power the engine bogged down and nearly quit. Oops. Limped back to dock. Tore into the yanmar 2qm15. Quickly reached the end of my marine diesel knowledge. Called mech. Clogged exhaust, needs parts that are not available till next week. Renting q car and headed home.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:56   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdave View Post
Plan is to meet broker early. Install a new second bilge pump and autopilot in morning. Cast off from Isle of hope in Savannah Ga noonish.
Congrats. I take it this is your first boat?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I'll just point out that if I were planning to install a 2nd bilge pump and an autopilot in my boat, I'd allot a half day to the pump and a full day to the autopilot. Providing, of course, that I didn't have to deal with a broker as well.

Maybe I'm slow?

Fair winds.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"and when advancing power the engine bogged down and nearly quit."
Dave, diesels also like to choke and die if crud gets stirred up in the fuel tank. If the boat has been sitting used and you don't know what's in the tank? And especially if you take it offshore and get shaken around for a bit?
I'd order multiple spare fuel filters, and crush washers if you need them for bleeding, and make sure you are familiar with the process and can rely on the engine. Diesels are great, except when they're stabbing you in the back.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 15:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"and when advancing power the engine bogged down and nearly quit."
Dave, diesels also like to choke and die if crud gets stirred up in the fuel tank. If the boat has been sitting used and you don't know what's in the tank? And especially if you take it offshore and get shaken around for a bit?
I'd order multiple spare fuel filters, and crush washers if you need them for bleeding, and make sure you are familiar with the process and can rely on the engine. Diesels are great, except when they're stabbing you in the back.
I agree.....sounds more like water in the fuel to me. I would think a clog in the exaust would just blow the hose. I will remember this one and look forward to a follow up.
Old 14-03-2013, 10:42   #12

Re: Brining Her Home Tomorrow

No water in fuel. Exhaust side blocked. Replaced most of the exhaust bits, and she hums like a kitten. Runs up to red line and might could pull a skier. Whoo Hoo. All systems go for a morning departure tomorrow. Weather looks perfect. Provisioning now. Plan is to motor and sail from Savannah to Beaufort. Stop and get Diesel and head off shore to sail/motor to Georgetown SC. Then back up waterway to Osprey Marina near Myrtle Beach. Check back for updates.
Old 14-03-2013, 12:10   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Boats are wonderful!!!

I just wish someone would remind me why

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 12:13   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Hums like a kitten till the Lake pipes roar?

Old Beach Boys song. Anyway, hope you have a good trip!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 12:40   #15

Awesome! Have a good trip.