Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 09:34   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Work as mechanic while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I'd be careful about that kind of advertising unless you are set up legally as a business wherever you are.
Yes, keep it informal and be prepared to take payment in kind, in rum or in diesel. Because if word gets out among the local mechanics, all the Dyneema mooring line on Earth won't secure your boat.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
My first thoughts were the same actually... but I'm pulling out all the stops trying to find a way to fill this gap. Might need to keep searching...
If you are staying in an anchorage for a month or two, it would be easier to use Cruiser Nets and the locals to find out if you can subcontract to existing businesses, particularly during busy seasons. And particularly if you have a specialty, which you seem to have, and qualifications to back that up.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
I like Jim's reply. We think if you're upfront and honest about charging, you could stay very busy. But, you will have to be discreet if you work in a foreign country.

We are currently cruising in the Sea of Cortez, and frequently come back to La Paz. Based on comments from the "fellow cruisers" we've met, there is a huge need.

I'll try to be nice, but tact isn't one of my strong suits...

We have met so many cruisers in Mexico that are COMPLETELY CLUELESS about their engines and other boat systems. Not a clue. ALL the engines we've seen, except one (and ours), is so dirty you can't even tell what it is. Basic maintenance is deferred to the point of engine or system failure. (But the varnish on the outside looks beautiful.)

Finding a mechanic in La Paz, San Carlos/Guaymas, or Mazatlan has been real challenging for folks. And finding one that will make repairs to the manufacturer standards (ie done correctly) - in a decent time frame - is nearly impossible. Or so we've heard.

We routinely run across cruisers that want "free" advice and help, which we have really grown tired of. We want to spend our time cruising (sailing, fishing, swimming, scuba diving, eating, and drinking), not fixing other peoples' boats. About about a year after cruising, we became really dumb and inexperienced - on purpose.

But, Good onya mate, for being willing to spend your cruising time working! Best of luck!
There's a lot of truth to this, actually. As a freelancer for 30 years and a person of whom my welder/fabricator said "I've never seen such a clean engine bay", I just quote my rates up front. That said, I will work for equitable trade: "I note you have six spare Racor filters..."
Old 07-06-2017, 10:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
We are currently cruising in the Sea of Cortez, and frequently come back to La Paz. Based on comments from the "fellow cruisers" we've met, there is a huge need.
Rob at Cross Marineworks is a certified Yanmar mechanic...he's probably the best I've seen in or out of Mexico. He's right next door to my office, La Paz Cruiser Supply in Marina Palmira.

But here is the reality.
Rob is booked up 6 weeks in advance and charges what you would expect to pay back in the USA or Canada for a damn good diesel mechanic. The problem is many cruisers want Yanmar certified type of skills while paying Mexico boat washer prices. "Will you take a filet of Dorado in exchange for a Valve Job"...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:14   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I'm on my boat, if I can help another sailor its my privilege and my pleasure. The most I would ever expect in payment would be a "thank you" and maybe a cold drink.

ALSO,

I worked many years as a technical consultant. That meant that everywhere I worked, I was with my clients...who paid me. As such, it was a different relationship...always client/consultant. When sailing, you may prefer to make friends, not customers. This is a big deal. Making friends, IMHO, is much more important than making money.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:49   #21

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Look, cruisers are generally cheap right? (Don't everyone get in a tissy). If they no nothing, they don't know how to differentiate good work from bad. If they do know, they do it themselves. There is always a bored guy that will help just for fun. Everywhere we have been the local expats, or whoever charges the least gets the work, no matter how shoddy. It is a shame really. If you are going to get work, you are going to be working for nothing. It would be better to cut your trip a little short and enjoy the time you have.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Will agree with pretty much all the previous replies.

- Biggest problem will be working as a foreigner in another country. In the Caribbean there's lots of unemployment, low wages and generally a lower standard of living than in the US. If you as a rich American (maybe not rich by US standards but by island standards anyone with a private yacht is as rich as Donald Trump) show up taking work away from the local mechanics, and they catch on (and they will, very soon), at the very least you will create ill will and be told to quit immediately. You could be evicted from the country, fined, boat confiscated or even arrested. Look at this from the other point of view. How much do you hear on the news and from US politicians about illegal immigrants taking jobs away from Americans?

- Yes many, many cruisers do their own work but as noted, there's plenty of cruisers that are just not mechanically inclined. There's lots of help the other guy for good will going on, however, offering free advice vs charging to get hands on is not unheard of.

- If you manage to get around the work permit issue there's still the issue of building a reputation and clientele, hard to do as a transient.

Might work better if you cruise back to the states periodically, work for a while to build up the cruising kitty then head out again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07   #23

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

A person with a skill set will be offered jobs...

I have no objection to paying for expertise however establishing a reputation while underway won't be easy. Today as in for the past two flipping months I have been looking for someone to install a fantastic vent fan.

Getting an estimate is like pulling teeth. Two promised dates have come and gone. At this point I don't want that guy as I already know he doesn't follow through. Ditto second guy who did not show, call, etc.

When I run across someone who can do the job I will again try. In the meantime all supplies are stowed. Frankly I have little expectation that this install will be done until autumn.

Good luck though.

I see you are in Key West so you should have plenty of work in local anchorages and at marinas. Are you working now in the field? Getting a rep while in your home grounds will benefit you in that the coconut grapevine is alive and flourishing.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07   #24

I regularly help out other cruisers in the anchorage. Many times been offered payment and will ask they pay it forward. Most I have ever received was a dinner out for a days work. Occasionally a bottle of wine comes our way.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
First you must be discrete when you work in foreign countries as without a work permit you will be acting illegally.

Second we help each other and I have never been charged by another cruiser even for extensive help.

If I tow you when your boat is broken down and going ashore will you pay me SeaTow rates? Or should I just claim salvage?

I am a doctor and on three occasions I have spent several hours organizing medical evacuations back to the USA, should I charge you for 8 hours of my time at US Doctor rates?actually I would not dream of charging a fellow cruiser!
In my younger days I worked in the technical support department of a large fairly well known electronics/ computer company. At one time or other I worked in most states in the US as well as Mexico and Canada / Newfoundland.
For out of country work it would have been impossible to get a work permit, so the company legal dept came up with nifty ways to get around the restrictions. Such as conducting a FREE seminar on the new product, or doing a free site inspection. Also brought in new parts duty free as free samples or personal spares.
In all cases MONEY could not change hands except for my personal room and board in a local tourist hotel.
This was a known American Company conducting non profit making business in a friendly Country.
I would not bet on staying under the radar and bring in money. So far as I recall the USA is the only country where foreigners can legally work without going through a PILE of red tape.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 20:55   #26

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I have been in the auto/aviation mechanics business my entire life. I have a mechanics license from the FAA with ratings in both airframe and powerplants. I had a foreign car repair shop from 1975 to 1992 when I sold it. In 1975 we specialized in electronic fuel injection when dealers could not fix their own product. We did. I have a set fee for any mechanical advice or help for any cruiser. 2 BEERS IS THE STANDARD FEE! Made my money out there and now it's just helping friends. I just can't see charging real $$ to a fellow cruiser.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 22:49   #27

Boat: Valiant 32

I did it on a 3 year trip from Spain to NZ. I'd explain to a cruiser how to fix it themselves, or charge a modest $25 an hour if they wanted me to do it. I'm a marine engineer with 20 plus years experience and carried a ton of tools on board. Was cautious and never got any aggro from locals or authorities. Repaired quite a few outboards in my cockpit on a no cure no fee basis, worked for a charter company in the BVIs with a free marina berth attached for 3 or 4 months. It was a bit of a supplement to my cruising vouchers. Worked out pretty good and had some happy smiley cruisers with there problems fixed.
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 00:21   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayaq View Post
I did it on a 3 year trip from Spain to NZ. I'd explain to a cruiser how to fix it themselves, or charge a modest $25 an hour if they wanted me to do it. I'm a marine engineer with 20 plus years experience and carried a ton of tools on board. Was cautious and never got any aggro from locals or authorities. Repaired quite a few outboards in my cockpit on a no cure no fee basis, worked for a charter company in the BVIs with a free marina berth attached for 3 or 4 months. It was a bit of a supplement to my cruising vouchers. Worked out pretty good and had some happy smiley cruisers with there problems fixed.

I'm sure you were an extremely popular guy. I bet you're understating your income, however. You didn't mention the thousands of beers I'm sure you got on top of the $25/hour
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:20   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayaq View Post
$25/hr is very reasonable.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:50   #30

Boat: Pearson

While never taking food from someones mouth, to help a fellow sailor or mariner has been instilled in me from my dad at a young age and not forgotten. Reading the responces to helping others is most refreshing to me. I have towed many were countless boats of much larger size motored by people in need. Hard to fathom. Thank you for who you are, some of us are just like that.....😍

Tags
cruising, mechanic