Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 10:48   #31

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Work as mechanic while cruising

Working WITH another boater to solve problems is far different than asking someone to take responsibility and do a job! Helping is one thing and mostly without monetary compensation though trades, food, a bottle of booze, is often a tangible way to express thanks.

That said I wish to hire and fully expect to pay for work I am physically unable to do.

Yes, lots of free work goes on. However there are cheap b******* who do not show adequate TANGIBLE thanks. USERS get a real bad reputation and it only takes a couple of times before they are known to the locals. For instance a friend spent eight hours diagnosing an electrical problem. The next day he hoisted in and moved a big battery bank. When asked by boater worker said "How about $40?" CHEAP B****** said "Well I've got $20 here"

The worker, my friend, had bought into boat owners claims of poverty. Guess how much help cheapskate will get from this point forward?!?

And cheapskate burnt another fellow on an alternator issue. We believe he's loaded because he takes airplane trips to the Caribbean with regularity, has a good government pension and likes to play to see how much he can get way with. In places where he's built a reputation folks are "too busy" when the cheapskate asks.

We all wish to think everyone is as generous as we perceive ourselves to be. Folks should never count on free help. Assistance is given and tangible gratitude is shown.

A fellow helped me with an alternator belt adjustment/alignment. For free, as in he refused money. That evening I gave his bride a craft gift I made. The next day he was washing his boat and I was right there to help. No money exchanged hands and I would like to think we each received value though honestly I could not price boat washing for a few hours nearly as high as mechanical know-how.

To original poster, yes I believe you can minimally count on some income. In areas I've been to make a thousand a month seems high though I am admittedly at the lowest end of the financial spectrum.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:49   #32

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Hahahahahaha. Now you really know how cheap we are.
BTW, quote: " Keep in mind, however, that it is going to be ILLEGAL, so you have to be very discreet about it, and you have to be ok with the risks."
How the hell do you do something ILLEGAL & be discreet about it?
Illegal is illegal but you want everyone to turn a blind eye while you do it? Come on folk, why don't you admit it, boaters are a cheap bunch altogether. I can understand if you are caught in an area where expertise is unavailable but lets be honest here, what most of you are looking for is to get 'good' work done for free or at least only two beers.
You sound like a flock of English Sparrows:- Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There's much good info in this thread. And I'm a fan of Jim Cate's comments on this.

Good will in & from the fleet is definitely worth more than pocket $. Though when it gets to the point where folks (who I don't know) are seeking me out to work on projects for them... I'm inclined to set some rules/guidelines about such. Otherwise a lot of the fun associated with sailing gets taken out of things. Since all you're doing is fixing things on other people's boats.

The other component of this is that if I'm working with, or for, clueless folks, I want them to be there, learning about the systems that we're fixing or building. So that in the future they can both help themselves, as well as paying it forward with their newly learned skills.

All of the above said, I can't see literally hanging out a shingle. "Jobs" float into your life via word of mouth, etc., & or, when you really need them. And sometimes bartering a job, prior to taking it on, is the way to go. Especially if you have a specialized skill which would otherwise be hard to come by, & the other party has a surplus of X. And I try to er on the side of being humble, gracious, & giving (freely).

EDIT: If someone who's obviously cheap, including not valuing my time & skill, trys to get me to help with a project, it's not tough to figure out how I'll respond. Attitude is a 2-way street.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:17   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One thing I'm curious about, is that there are a lot more "clueless" sailors out there than there were a couple of decades ago. And back in the day, it was the norm to help out other sailors pretty much as best you could. Including even mentoring them on boat handling, or to use spinnakers, & fix mechanical things. Since that was how you were "raised". But... to borrow a phrase, "that was then, this is now". So how do other wizened folk feel about this shift in experience levels & attitudes in the fleet? And by attitudes, to some degree I even mean the (sad) entitlement phenomenon. As in others are entitled to your knowledge & skill just because you possess it. Without a good degree of respect to you as a person, as well as both a sailor & technician of superior skill.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:23   #35

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
One thing I'm curious about, is that there are a lot more "clueless" sailors out there than there were a couple of decades ago. And back in the day, it was the norm to help out other sailors pretty much as best you could. Including even mentoring them on boat handling, or to use spinnakers, & fix mechanical things. Since that was how you were "raised". But... to borrow a phrase, "that was then, this is now". So how do other wizened folk feel about this shift in experience levels & attitudes in the fleet? And by attitudes, to some degree I even mean the (sad) entitlement phenomenon. As in others are entitled to your knowledge & skill just because you possess it. Without a good degree of respect to you as a person, as well as both a sailor & technician of superior skill.
That is how it is today in the cruising fleet. While there are more new cruisers who have thrown money at the problem out there, most of them either quit cruising relatively early or become 'experienced' cruises.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:54   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

In the US especially during "peak" time you can make marina rates. Some don't want to wait weeks to get stuff done and will pay well. Lots of money and little time so fix it now. I suspect once you get away from 1st world areas that won't be the case.
I have no trouble accepting money for work done.
But I also don't consider towing someone a reasonable distance the same as being asked to fix a not emergency problem....
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:49   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
In the US especially during "peak" time you can make marina rates. Some don't want to wait weeks to get stuff done and will pay well. Lots of money and little time so fix it now. I suspect once you get away from 1st world areas that won't be the case.
I have no trouble accepting money for work done.
But I also don't consider towing someone a reasonable distance the same as being asked to fix a not emergency problem....
I agree with the non parallel between a tow and a repair at the dock.
Although a little repair good will at the dock is something boating has been made of.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:09   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes good will at the dock/anchorage has its merit.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:36   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes good will at the dock/anchorage has its merit.
And sometimes it ends up one hand washing the other. Not everyone has the same skills.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:50   #40

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I'm usually willing and able to pass on what I know if someone needs help. If you want me to do the job for you because you don't want to get dirty hands or can't do it then we'll talk about it. I'll teach you to do engine repairs as a friend and fellow boater but don't expect me to do it all for you and give up my time because your to lazy or cheap to pay a local mechanic.
When I was in La Paz people on the dock heard I was a Journyman diesel mechanic and asked if I would listen to their engines and give my opinion. I did so gladly and expected nothing in return. It cost me nothing and I made 2 new friends. If they had a dead cylinder and a heavy lower end knock and expected me to fix it for them that would be another matter entirely. I will teach you to do for yourself for free, but don't expect me to rebuild your engine or transmission gratis. Most people are great and only need a little advise on the problem to point them in the right direction.
Then there are the users. We've all come across them at one time or another. Want it all for free and expect you to do it all for then. Luckily the good people far outnumber the losers. I'm just happy to be able to pass on any knowledge that helps others. I really do enjoy seeing the little light bulb turn on in there eyes when they understand something that they didn't understand previously.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:58   #41

Boat: Casacde 36

I'm in a similar position, skills wise. I normally help other cruisers with diagnosis and minor items for free; despite offers of compensation. (But, I have invested carefully and thus don't have to work for the dough). My wife thinks we should rename the boat, "Repairship". We do receive some surprisingly generous gifts, though.
I do charge for such things as component rebuilds, parts plus a flat fee quoted up front. That way, there are no surprises. Sometimes I win, sometimes lose but I have found that if you do it all for free, the beneficiary assigns the value appropriately, and is often back next day, with another "emergency", generally resulting from neglect.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:23   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

While I dont encourage anyone to work illegally, it is common...be discrete and work only within the cruising community and in most venues you wont have a problem.

Rates in most venues are likely lower than what you are accustom too. Ive paid $25-50 per hour mostly in the W Carib. So...40 - 20 hours per month to make $1K.

Another way to earn some cash is just "consulting" for good amateur mechanics. Example: Im a pretty good amatuer mechanic. I dont need to hire someone just to turn a wrench, but there is no substitute for pro level diagnostic experience. I used to have 2 friends who were both pro mechanics (both working under the RADAR in cruiser venues). They were way busy so I would pay them for an hour of their time just to disgnose an issue...usually took them about 10 minutes...easy money for them...huge time saver for me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:35   #43

Boat: Seafarer36c

They are not very far under the radar in the Rio. Every moring on the net services are offered. Such a great place.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:26   #44

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
They are not very far under the radar in the Rio. Every moring on the net services are offered. Such a great place.
True, not much of an official RADAR on the Rio. A good venue for cruisers who want to work and thus a good venue for skilled services too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:36   #45

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
. A good venue for cruisers who want to work.

Life is good.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, mechanic