Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 17:32   #1

Wintering In The Caribbean

I am thinking of sailing Shiva down to the Caribbean for next winter, rather than put her in winter storage in New York which runs about $2,000 min. Of course sailing her there will cost money... as well as flying back and forth and mooring costs in the Caribbean. I am looking for someone to check on the boat while I am away. I would than share the use of the boat with one or two friends... who know the boat and can go down for a few sails during the winter as well as help me sail her south and back north for next summer.

I was thinking of keeping her anchored or tied off to the mangroves in behind the Nelson's Dockward... which seems secure. I am open to other suggestions. I would pay a reasonable fee to someone to make visits and check things out... bilge.. batts and so forth.

I do not want to put her in charter while I am not there. Boat is too complicated and will be full of personal stuff.

I have Boat Us insurance likely will need to alter or change the policy.

My wife get one month's vacation but can't take a whole month off at once. So we are thinking about 3 ten day trips... (3 weekends). As I work less (unfortunately) these days... and can even do some work aboard on a laptop... I might spend more time... alone or with other friends while she slaves away in the cold NE. My buddy would use the boat during the other times... I could move the boat to different parts of the Carib so wife could meet and see more islands ... she's more of a day sailor than a offshore passage type girl.

The 10' RIB is an issue. Don't care to tow in the ocean and stowing on foredeck might not fit when inner forestay is set for storm canvas. Should I leave it up here and but something down there... or take friends no RIB inflatable?

That's the plan. I am calling for comments and suggestions and even for a few who might want to sail down from NY to Carib via Bermuda next Fall. Shiva has made the passage many times and will have a new life raft and a sat phone.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:04   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Wintering In The Caribbean

Try getting the Spot GPS hug- it monitors everything, bilges, batteries, position, doors, hatches all for an initial $350 or so with a $150 a year fee-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:23   #3

Boat: 1999 Bavaria 42' 'RUMBA'

does it monitor wives?
Rumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:39   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Try getting the Spot GPS hug- it monitors everything, bilges, batteries, position, doors, hatches all for an initial $350 or so with a $150 a year fee-
I didn't know that. It would be worth it for the battery monitoring alone. Good suggestion.
Old 27-02-2012, 16:47   #5

More specifically on this journey and crew position.

I am looking for one screw person with offshore experience.

The plan is to depart Western LIS vis NYC in late fall at the end of the hurricane season for Bermuda. This route needs to be timed with consideration to the currents in Hells Gate

Rest and re provision in St Georges and head to Antigua after a day or two. The first leg should take just under 5 days and the second about 7. I've made this journey on Shiva 5 times.

I am using the period between now and departure to get the boat ready for the passage... including removing unneeded materials now stowed and organizing what will be taken, including provisioning with supplies and spares.

Shiva will be hauled and painted and final provisions stowed in at Glen Island, New Rochelle.

We have:
a new liferaft
2 new 8D agm batts, w/ solar panels, high output alternator w/ smart charger and link20 monitor.
1000 watt inverter
Power35 desalinator
storm canvas
harnesses, personal strobes
jack lines
below decks Alpha 3000 AP serviced in 2011
Raymarine C80
Horizon CP170
Garmin Ique360 (2)
Furuno SSB
MOB pole, LifeSling
Espar Htr
pressure hot water
sat phone
ditch bag
EPIRB

I would like the new crew to spend some time in the summer or early Fall getting familiar with the boat and systems... or even help with organizing and stowing gear, and some practice with storm canvas.

I plan to bring prepared frozen - heat and serve meals

Departure date will be determined by weather window.

I will pay expenses for crew and provide meals.

No smokers, no drinking underway.

Suggestions, questions and comments please.
Old 27-02-2012, 17:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
More specifically on this journey and crew position.

I am looking for one screw person with offshore experience.
I can only assume you meant "crew". Although maybe I should apply? My imagination is raging.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 20:53   #7

hahahahaha That too!
Old 28-02-2012, 21:38   #8

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob

sounds like a great trip
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 05:19   #9

BUMP...

Still looking for an able body off shore experience sailor to join e for total crew of 3 to sail Shiva to the Antigua via Bermuda this Fall from Greenport, NY... departing LIS via Montauk.

Well founded yacht, Lloyd's certified, has made the journey multiple times... as has captain / owner.

This is not a paying position. Will pay reasonable transport to and from boat and provide food underway.

Looking for crew to assist in final preparation and *drills*... preferably someone on LIS, Southern NE region.

No smoking, no drinking... Good cheer, experience required.

Contact was Jeffrey jsandero AT GEEEEMAIL dot calm...

Tags
Caribbean