Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 07:16   #1

Advertising On Boat Sails

Hello again
I have a chocolate business and was thinking about boat sails for advertising. Would this be more of a racing sponsorship?

Thanks
Dale
Tondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 20:20   #2
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Advertising on Boat Sails

Sounds like something that could be done. I live in San Diego, there are a number of charter companies in the area. Perhaps one or more of them could be willing to allow you to advertise on their sails.

The problem with just putting the ad on just anyone's sails is that they probably do not go out often enough to do you any good. I have been keeping track of the number of days that I get out sailing. My highest number of days away from my slip was 46 in one year. I have also noted that I typically see the same boats on the water, even though there are many more boats in the bay, they don't actually get away from their slip.

I was out two weeks ago on a Wednesday and noted that there were probably 30 or so boats on the bay. I also noted that most of them were from the same charter company. Which means that most of the people who would see those sails would be visitors on vacation. A select targeted population.

Bottom line, I would suggest advertising on charter company sails. Not on private owner boats. (Unless it is your boat and you intend to write some portion of the cost off, in which case see your accountant first).
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 13:49   #3

Amazing observation Well done and thank you!
Old 26-08-2011, 13:55   #4

Boat: Ohlson 38

Pick me! You buy me a new set of sails and I promise I'll travel thousands of miles advertising your product the whole way! Mmm I love chocolate.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:11   #5

Haha! I can always count on a Smile from this forum!
Old 26-08-2011, 17:27   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 Cat 38 ft

I am a full time cruiser. Florida, bahamas and the atlantic coast. my sails are up 50-60 % of the year. Since I follow the seasons. I might be interested.
jdisarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Re: Advertising On Boat Sails

I have a chartered Beneteau 343. The vessel makes regular trips to Catalina as well as day cruises between Long Beach and San Pedro. Recently we did the Newport to Ensenada Race so the sail was visible from San Pedro to Ensenada Mexico and back.

I can also arrange to have the vessel sailing for any number of days that you would like. Of course the price would have to be negotiated.

You can contact me at kynaidu@hotmail.com if still interested.
kynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:53   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Also got to remember that even if the sails are up........how many people are going to see them. and of them only fairly few will take in the advert (can "you" remember the advert at the top of this thread?!).....and even less will decide to buy the product simply because of seeing the sail.

Given the costs involved for sails would have thought the advertising budget better spent elsewhere - maybe a stall outside the local Slimming Club .........selling chocolates at 1/2 price .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 15:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

You can compare Sail ads to billboard ads. Obviously they must be worth the investment or billboards would no longer be around. However, it is a personal choice and a cost to return study would have to be undertaken.

The benefit to Sail ads are that they are not stationary like billboards and they are relatively rare so they do catch people's attention more.

Again, it is a personal choice whether it is right for your business.
kynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:07   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Advertising, you want max media exposure. Well marketed & pro publicized record attempt comes up first. Racing only if you are talking big money.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Advertising on Google might be more cost effective....more eyeballs per dollar spent, better targeting.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:43   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo
Hello again
I have a chocolate business and was thinking about boat sails for advertising. Would this be more of a racing sponsorship?

Thanks
Dale
I think the real question is "If I put the name of the business on the sails, can I write the boat off?". Interesting question! As an example the Goodyear Blimps are not very cost efficient, but are advertising,

If you write it off could you help it if no one saw your advertising? Sounds like fodder for a tax attorney, or someone you can throw under the bus- just in case.

Bill

PS Should the IRS sends you away, let me know I will sail your boat to keep it in good shape.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:28   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynaidu
I have a chartered Beneteau 343. The vessel makes regular trips to Catalina as well as day cruises between Long Beach and San Pedro. Recently we did the Newport to Ensenada Race so the sail was visible from San Pedro to Ensenada Mexico and back.

I can also arrange to have the vessel sailing for any number of days that you would like. Of course the price would have to be negotiated.

You can contact me at kynaidu@hotmail.com if still interested.
A resurrected 2011 thread. Tondo made 6 posts. I doubt he is still around. He and the Lone Ranger have scarpered.

I have friends with sail sponsors, they are obligated by contract to compete in a specified number of and certain specific regattas to earn the sail sponsorship. Winning is not important but placing well and getting photographed is. It's not the on site spectators, it's getting in print. Certain regattas are difficult about display of sponsorships that are not related to the regatta. It can be tough territory to navigate.

The most common sponsorhips are on spinnakers unless you are a pro boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sails