Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 21:42   #31

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: What to do for college...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sad to hear you felt that way rbk..... Maybe you just got burned out or was in a negative working environment.

In the Superyacht business, you get all kinds of guests who arrive angry and frustrated about issues not related to you.
They can vent or overact and while hardest on the junior crew, usually stewardess, I advise that upset crew to just "kill them with kindness"
...cause that's the sweetest revenge.

Usually guests do a 180 and become friends with the crew member they gave a hard time to..... If not, I step in to support my crew.

I found that when I was a scuba diving instructor, I got stressed with the student who thought they already knew it all.
Probably thats what you got as a guide, but 9 out of 10 were a delight to listen to after their first open water dive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I have several friends that decided to skip college and either work with boats or other outdoor pursuits. Both were top 2% of their high school class. At 58, both are bitter about the fact that they have no money and will have to worked steady until they drop.

I finished school, worked while climbing and sailing on weekends and holidays, and now I am semi retired. This is better. In the end I will have more play time and better understand it's value. They have sore joint and can barely maintain physical careers. Catching up financially is nearly impossible.

But your mileage may vary. Your 16. I know a lot more about me than I did when I was 16.

And who in the hell said that conventional work can't be fun?! Pick a career you like or even love. I've started doing some consulting again... because I like the challenge! Sometimes it's as much fun as sailing, sometimes even more. Love your work!

And control your spending habits. I wish I'd gone to few movies, bought fewer clothes, and less stuff. I've got too darn much stuff. Keep it simple.
Both of these ++++ And remember, you will have more than one career in your working life so don't be afraid of change if you're in doubt of the path you find yourself on.
As for saving and spending in moderation, this is an almost lost art in the western world. I bought a book for my kids years ago, Rich Dad, Poor Dad. One out of three embraced the concepts therein and is well on his way, one spends every cent and consequently has nothing, and the third appears to have arrived at the conclusion that perhaps silly old dad does know something after all.
When you feel the need to buy more stuff mostly it is just s**t that soon you just won't need.
You are just starting on your journey, enjoy it while you can.

As has been said elsewhere, end of old farts rant.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 22:16   #32
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sad to hear you felt that way rbk..... Maybe you just got burned out or was in a negative working environment.

In the Superyacht business, you get all kinds of guests who arrive angry and frustrated about issues not related to you.
They can vent or overact and while hardest on the junior crew, usually stewardess, I advise that upset crew to just "kill them with kindness"
...cause that's the sweetest revenge.

Usually guests do a 180 and become friends with the crew member they gave a hard time to..... If not, I step in to support my crew.

I found that when I was a scuba diving instructor, I got stressed with the student who thought they already knew it all.
Probably thats what you got as a guide, but 9 out of 10 were a delight to listen to after their first open water dive.
I still teach, it keeps me sharp and it’s a different mentality with students as to guests. Kill them with kindness - I once had a woman admit to me she was getting angrier at me because I was being so calm and polite while she lost her sh*t and it was frustrating the hell out of her lol.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 22:19   #33

Boat: J/42

Every old fart would love to go back and give their 16 y/o self specific instructions on what to do differently. But it probably wouldn’t work for anybody else. What if you had to distill it down into a single text? Probably can’t do it... Maybe half a dozen.

Never move away from navigable water!

Never borrow money for any reason!

If you have the means, DO go to colllege. Study something challenging. Not a party & cheat frat program for empty suits. But be open to getting a job afterwards doing something completely different.

The goal of college is not to learn some esoteric trade - it is to become a self-educating scholar. You should become able to do anything. It’s part of why classes outside your major are required.

The liveaboard thing seems more possible now than ever. Back in the day, life was... bulkier. There were no cell phones or laptops or eBooks or iTunes or GarageBand. What used to take up a whole house now fits in your pocket. Or at least in your backpack. Certainly on a small boat or in a van.

Only one more... No soda pop! No McFood! No TV! No couch! Yes basic nutrition. Yes at least two hours of exercise. In school, the gym is free, use it! Otherwise, the world is your gym - use it!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:27   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I still teach, it keeps me sharp and it’s a different mentality with students as to guests. Kill them with kindness - I once had a woman admit to me she was getting angrier at me because I was being so calm and polite while she lost her sh*t and it was frustrating the hell out of her lol.
Yes its a sweet revenge because they know, no matter how hard they try to make up for bad behavior, they will have missed an opportunity of real camaraderie with the crew.

Ironically on charter yachts, they often ended up the biggest tippers at the end of the trip.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:44   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

As long as you don't get married and have kids etc, you can do whatever you want for the next 10-15 years then go to school if necessary

Make sure to spend some time in the desert, in the snow, in the cold, and in the heat before settling down on a boat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:29   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mundok View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently 16 years old and living in Lewes, Delaware on the Delaware Bay. I've been sailing since age 10 and got a 1992 Catalina 14.2 for my birthday last year. I know I want to sail as soon as possible and live aboard. I want to set myself up to sail the world one day and came to the forum for advice on how to do it. Just looking for ideas on what to get a degree in a where to tour this spring or even what any liveaboards did for college. Really excited to get out of high school and experience the world!

Thanks,
Jake Mundok
I have a degree in Political Science and a Juris Doctorate. But, that's not what put us in a paid for boat and cruising. It was saving our whole lives and investing the money that did that. What you actually do for a living isn't nearly as important as prudently managing the money you make from that job.
Old 20-02-2019, 09:30   #37

Boat: Island Pscket 31

Take a look at University of Delaware, they are close by and offer marine studies.
I am a crew member of the Kalmar Nyckel and she can not return to Lewes this year because of major silting. $3 million to dredge, way out or her budget. Captain Sharon is another crew member will very good insight. Good Luck, the whole world is at your feet.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:10   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I have a degree in Political Science and a Juris Doctorate. But, that's not what put us in a paid for boat and cruising. It was saving our whole lives and investing the money that did that. What you actually do for a living isn't nearly as important as prudently managing the money you make from that job.
There are so many other ways to go about getting a boat to go cruising for a few years rather than spending most of your life saving to do it

One way is move to the Gulf Coast and cruise the area on a beach cat sleeping on the tramp.

Another way, is to buy a low priced, small, cruising boat and take off for a few years.

This young lady did it at a very low cost and has had a total adventure and met lots of new friends while working her way South

https://www.dinghydreams.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:04   #39

I taught in the public school system for 8 years, and at the state college level for 13 years. I can tell you without fear of contradiction that at least 50% of college degrees are useless. The local college even has a degree in "Custodial Science". In other words "being a janitor".
As far as the trades go-- here's a little anecdote: The dean of a college had a plugged toilet at home. He promptly called a plumber, who arrived, snaked out the bowl, and had it cleared within ten minutes.
He presented the dean with a bill for $125.00. The dean said "$125.00 for ten minutes work! I'm a college dean, and I don't make that kind of money!"
The plumber replied, " Neither did I when I was a college dean".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:09   #40

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Our son wanted to go to U of Hawai'i because of the excellent marine biology program there. Rather than spend money on room and board while attending, we bought a yacht for him to live on during his student years and where we also vacation. He also joined their sailing team. Needless to say, you get to know the boat really well. It's also a great "chick magnet" as he often points out! If you love sailing and want to go to school, this works.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:17   #41

If you want to go to school, Live on the boat and go to school near the boat working part time paying for school as you go. DO NOT GO INTO LARGE DEBT FOR SCHOOL !
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:45   #42

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Sirago beat me to mentioning University of Delaware, but I'll add one that sounds more like what you've described and the same nice 1.5 hr distance from home. (That means close enough to go home when you want and far enough to not have the family on your neck.)

Check out MEBA in Easton, MD
http://www.mebaschool.org

And while aboard, never stop learning. Sign up for classes and take them online in your off hours.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:53   #43

Boat: Sabre 30 sailboat

Jake,
College is an awfully expensive place to find yourself. I suspect many on the forum who are telling you to store the sailboat and go to college, went to college when it cost $1200 a semester. That is not the case today. I would seriously consider a trade as suggested by RBK. Google "the choice of a trade or college". Good luck.
sabatini5918
sabatini5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 13:09   #44

I can't tell you what to do, I can only tell you what worked for me.

I chose an in-state school that was affordable, but that awarded technical degrees that were valuable in the jobs market.

I know that this works.

Another thing that you might want to consider is how to contribute to a cause that's bigger than yourself. It's not for everyone, but for those who choose such a route the rewards are large.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 14:25   #45

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

If you do pick a college that is close to navigable water and live on your boat, look for a location that has a West Marine store in town. It's a great part time job that fits into your class schedule and also offers great discounts on boat gear that you will inevitably need. You also build your gear knowledge base and get to meet most members of the local boating community! They're always looking for part time help.

By the way, an expanded educational level is always valuable, no matter what you decide to do. College and grad school allowed me to retire at 53 and spend more time practicing boat yoga. No regrets.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote