Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 15:58   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: USCG Documentation Renewal Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Aside from the gnawing suspicion we all have that the fee doesn't go to the Coast Guard directly and likely gets funneled into the checking account of federal mismanagement, I tend to think that throwing even a fifty dollar bone to the organization that provides us the protection at sea we get from the Coast Guard would be a small price to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Does that mean that owners of undocumented vessels should expect to receive different/lesser treatment?

If the Fed can use the CG as a tool to extract money for the general fund, whats to stop them from charging for EVERYTHING by way of every agency? Once you are ready to accept a fee as normal, why not 2X or 5X? Where is the accountability? Once an annual fee can be realized, what is the chance that the annual title renewal will ever be mitigated to every other year? Every 5 years? Once per boat ownership exchange? I only get one title EVER for my car or even my state registered boat. Why do we have to have the title renewed annually? - AND how much should it really cost to go on line and check "NO CHANGE"?

How about a little critical thinking folks. This is nothing but a pocket dip, especially at the rate contemplated, and especially considering that the CG will get NOTHING as the fee goes to the Gen Fund. Will this count on my schedule A deductions?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men