Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 14:34   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tiny, Affordable Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalPenguin View Post
I've completed my ASA 101, and I have plans to take my ASA 103-107, its all just a matter of funding and timing.

Just my opinion, but if finds are scarce, forego all these classes.
They didn't exist until recently, and yet people have been sailing for generations. Just use your common sense, go slow, there is always tomorrow and I'll bet you will meet people that will be willing to show you the ropes, and for the price of a beer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:47   #17

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Tiny, Affordable Living

There's a bus stop at Anaheim and Henry Ford, and the Metro will transport you and your bike the three or four miles to the Chili's at Shoreline Village, avoiding the more interesting part.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Marina fees vary by marina. In the SF bay they run generally $240-$340 for a 34 foot boat. A few a little cheaper, some more then that.

Then there is the liveaboard fee for many marina's in the SF Bay area, which range from $200 to $300 depending on marina. Plus electric which can run $10 in summer to $40-$60 or more in winter with electric heat.

That is for a sail boat with propane cooking. An all electric boat would be higher on electric. Luckily air conditioning is mostly not needed.

Plus security deposit for one months rent (and liveaboard fee) and key deposit and some marina's charge you for a pet ($20/month).

Mind you apartment rents in the bay area are $1200+ a month for a one bedroom. So even with liveaboard fee, a boat is fairly inexpensive.

Water and trash is included, some marinas have free wifi that may or may not be usable. Most have coin operated laundry rooms.

Many have waiting lists for liveaboard (cost to get on that too). Though, Marina Bay (Richmond) and maybe Vallejo generally have a few openings. Marina Bay is a very nice area, but the Hood (#2 after Detroit) is just across 580 (1/2 mile) away. Valleyjo also has a gang banger issue with public housing just down the street.

I stayed at marina bay for three years and never had a problem. Another couple had their entire exhaust system stolen off their benz, twice. Smash and grab is also an issue too, which is why I never locked my car when I had one.

BTW, you generally can't call about a liveaboard slip as all will say they don't have one It helps if you show up for a weekend rental with a clean boat and inquire then about a slip and liveaboard options. At the very least you have to go to the office so they can get a feel if you will be a good fit at the marina.

It also helps, even more, if your Blonde .
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 15:12   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Girlfriend,
If your smiling face wasn't there for the world to see this line could be taken all the wrong way!
Old 22-10-2016, 15:24   #20

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Seriously? $7.00 a foot? Where do I sign up?
Around here you have to go way back into Skunk Harbor to get down to $10.00
MDR is closer to $15.00
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 15:54   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here in Puget sound I pay under 6 a ft and a $100 a month liveaboard fee. With an excellent public transport system . ( 3.50 tops to go about anywhere within a 100 mile range from Seattle.)
Old 22-10-2016, 15:59   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Seriously? $7.00 a foot? Where do I sign up?
Around here you have to go way back into Skunk Harbor to get down to $10.00
MDR is closer to $15.00
Some are $6.20 ish a foot, most are around $8 a foot and a few are $10 foot. But yes cheaper then LA area. Few years ago I was paying a bit over $5/foot. Alas everything is rising.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:31   #23
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Many have waiting lists for liveaboard (cost to get on that too). Though, Marina Bay (Richmond) and maybe Vallejo generally have a few openings. Marina Bay is a very nice area, but the Hood (#2 after Detroit) is just across 580 (1/2 mile) away. Valleyjo also has a gang banger issue with public housing just down the street.

I stayed at marina bay for three years and never had a problem. Another couple had their entire exhaust system stolen off their benz, twice. Smash and grab is also an issue too, which is why I never locked my car when I had one.

BTW, you generally can't call about a liveaboard slip as all will say they don't have one It helps if you show up for a weekend rental with a clean boat and inquire then about a slip and liveaboard options. At the very least you have to go to the office so they can get a feel if you will be a good fit at the marina.

Good advice. We are currently at Marina Bay in Richmond (which is a very nice area) and pay 700ish for a 45' slip which includes the liveaboard fee. The Hood is pretty close, but that's true in many parts of the Bay. It seems also that there's a new tent city all the time somewhere. We count ourselves fortunate that we have had no incidents. However, petty and even violent crime is nearly out of control in many parts of the Bay with little to no real recourse.

Vallejo also has theft problems in the marina parking lot according to the main office. Vallejo had (has) depth issues with boats sitting in the mud twice a day. I don't know if they have dredged yet.

True also concerning the part about showing up in person to enquire. A phone call will never work!

I will take her word for it about being blonde - but I can't see it hurting.

Best with your decision!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:48   #24

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Is there a Chili's in LaPaz?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 17:05   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Actually according to their website yes there is one in laPaz . However that's laPaz Indiana
Old 22-10-2016, 18:32   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
There's a bus stop at Anaheim and Henry Ford, and the Metro will transport you and your bike the three or four miles to the Chili's at Shoreline Village, avoiding the more interesting part.
That's a good tip! Are you in Lighthouse marina by chance? I helped a friend who bought a boat there, in Lighthouse, last year and we brought it up to Oxnard. I really liked the owners and the amenities were nice there too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:15   #28

Boat: youngquist viking 34

I don't knw about California but in washington liveaboard slips are limited sometimes need to buy a boat in one with transferable moorage. Also easy to get a deal on a wood boat but marinas here are reluctant to rent to anyth8ng but pristine wood with current out of the water survey.
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalPenguin View Post
I'm thinking about becoming a live-aboard sailor. Ideally I'd like to have a boat over 37', but the time it would take to save up for that is more than I could handle right now. So I'm trying to figure out what the best options are for living aboard a boat in the 22' to 26' range.

I know I'm going to want a head and a galley, apart from that I have relatively no clue what I need/want. I imagine I'll be taking the ship out for day sails and weekend trips while I work to save up money for something larger.

I'll probably need to stay in a full service marina with showers since I'm going to be working. I have no idea where just yet, but I'm interested in the SF Bay area. The cool think is I work at Chili's, and they'd be more than happy to transfer me wherever. So finding some kind of transportation, whether it be public or by bicycle would be ideal.

Also, I'm from Texas... so while I am used to the heat, the cold is NOT my friend. What kinds of recommendations/practices do you use to regulate temperature (both hot and cold)?

Other than that, feel free to give me any advice. I'm really excited about the idea of living aboard a boat and how much freedom it will afford me.
Although living aboard a 22-26' boat may offer you some freedom (depending upon how you approach it), it is a very small living area. Have you ever lived in a VERY small one-room studio apartment? I'm not talking small, I'm talking very small. If not, you might want to try that first. It's an acquired taste. And, a boat that size offers very little space for your extra "things", whatever they might be. In Japan, those types of very small studio apartment are known as a 'One-Room Mansion". You open the door and you are in the kitchen, which is part of the one small room that also includes your bed, and maybe a coffee table. The only other room is the combined "Toilet / Shower / Sink". That's it. And they are much smaller than the usual American "studio" apartment.

Have you ever camped in a tent for any length of time? It's much the same. In a 22-26' boat you will basically be "camping". It's a very confined area. And even if you can extend to 37', it's not going to feel too much different.

You've probably already considered all of this, yet just thought that I'd throw it out there for you.

Shower? Yup, nice to have. Hot water? Same. Kitchen? Yup. Fridge? Yup. Lights & electrical? Yup.

If you have an opportunity to go below on a 26' boat, do it. Sit there a while. You'll quickly understand. You might really enjoy it, yet it's not for everyone.

Best
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:37   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

How big are you? I mean how tall and what is your body shape? Makes a huge difference in what size of boat you will be comfortable in. If you are 6' 4" you need a larger boat than if you are 5' 6".

The cubic size of a small boat doubles (approximately) for every 5' gain in length, all other things being equal.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote