Re: Support for Voyaging Sailors

Doomed dream that
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 19:55   #47

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiapt View Post

I became friends with a guy who owns a 66ft sailing Ketch "Corsair"and tried crowd funding.

To be honest, the website looks like it's been put together over a weekend in 2016 and barely touched again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiapt View Post
I personally did not get involved financially because I have since moved to Thailand and would not have been able to get involved as much as I would have wanted. However, he still has the yacht and his plans have changed and he is moving to Greece in the near future with the aim of converting it to a floating hotel.

It would take a lot of effort (and money) to convert a bare hull into what one might call a "floating hotel". However, I'd say chances of subsequently making money out of it to at least support a modest crew and the boat are much higher than the exploration attempt.
Still there would be a few serious questions around the legality and insurance for the paying guests.
Good luck to him!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 00:37   #48

In some couple sailing YouTube videos, there are too many gratuitous bikini shots. Fine if you're happy to do that, or, to watch. To me, it's a weird way to use a girlfriend/friend/wife. Don't want to give $ for that.

Sailing La Vagabonde got given a luxury catamaran. Good luck to them, but seems weird to ask for $ from viewers too.
ozwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I'm with you on the people who are undeserving.

A few years ago a house across the road was robbed and a neighbor did door to door fund raising for them. They have a nice house, cars and toys but no insurance, not my problem they lost their bet. I didn't see anyone walking around handing out money each year they saved 3k on insurance.

I gave some money, so I wasn't the street Grinch but it still annoys me years later.

As for the youtubers, I think it's great. Pay, don't pay, you still watch the video. Whatever money they get is from people fully aware and without any need to pay..... It doesn't get any more honest than that.
I totally agree with what you said! And I’ll add further, I’ve been following an Aussie guy his channel is Sailing into freedom, his funny and yeah he has bikini glad girls onboard, but he lost his boat run aground and I sent him £40 and that’s fine because his a decent bloke and I’m enjoying his comeback story too , his had loads of help of people giving him their time and help getting an old boat fit for his onward travels again like you say we have a choice.
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail