Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 07:47   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

I'm going to disagree. Here is a turn-key, ready-to-cruise yacht in that price range.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...marottayachts&
Old 20-01-2012, 09:09   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: So we want to buy a yacht? help!!!!

$80,000 is a respectable amount of money to buy a boat in this market. You just found the wrong broker. Most brokers I've delt with however seem to expect YOU to do all the homework, and just walk in and write them a check.

I agree with the previous poster, do your homework, and plan on a slightly cheaper boat, and plan on spending some to fix it up. Things break even on a new boat, and you won't be buying one in that price range.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 12:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I based my comment on their given location - Phuket.

Boat - $7,500 + shipping to Phuket $45,000+ + fitting out for extended voyage $40,000 + = $92,500+
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 12:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Reality check: To think you can buy a boat with zero knowledge of sailing and then sail around living on it is a fantasy.
Except of course that people have done it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:05   #20

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

Dam you crusing cat why do you have to bring facts into it

It could be spend 10,000 on boat a little on mainatance and goodies and off you go with 60,000 in the pot. Doable if you camp in the cabin.
I have seen an atlantic rower up for less than 10,000.

best wishes with the dreams. past performance suggests you could well have a great stab at it.

But crewing to Aus/NZ might help with experiance and better boat market?
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So we want to buy a yacht? help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I based my comment on their given location - Phuket.

Boat - $7,500 + shipping to Phuket $45,000+ + fitting out for extended voyage $40,000 + = $92,500+
Hey they're travellers.....
Fly to the boat.. get her sailable then learn to sail and fit out as you head South for Panama...
Ship it out.... Hahh....!! Where's yer sense of adventure...
The Bahama's and Carib Isle... then through the canal and on to the Galapagos... the Marquesas... ahhhh the adventure

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:52   #22

Boat: Trapper 300

totally unacceptable, don't listen to this tripe, you can do anything. Doing what you've done so far implies resourcefulness, I am sure you will educate yourselves appropriately to the seafaring life.
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:03   #23

Boat: Union Polaris 36

My wife and I are in our late 20's, and are in the same "boat" as you, but a little further along in the process. What we did was first buy a cheaper smaller boat at rock bottom price. Then we sailed it locally for a year in the Pacific North West (Vancouver, BC). We enjoyed the sailing, the cruising, and even the work involved in keeping a boat in shape. Really once we decided we enjoyed being boat owners as well as cruisers, we sold the small boat and looked at boats online all over the world with a flexible departure point. We ended up finding a few we liked in the 80k range sent out a few emails asking about the boat and saying we had cash, but the boat was out of our price range as listed. One reply was pretty much telling us to Eff off, and the other was about how much they loved their boat, the third was very much here's what you asked for plus more. So we made a low offer (lower is better as you can always go up) and got the boat for half the original listing. So at that point we made an offer sight unseen (we saw tons of pictures with dates on them of the boat in and out of the water and the nooks and cranies). We put a few conditions on the offer, and researched the broker. Then my wife flew down, the boat looked exactly like it did in the pics, so we bought it.

So be flexible on purchasing area and the boat, make a list of what you want, and send out emails about the boat asking for more info/pictures and be honest about the price.

I would definitely look in the 60 to 75 range, and offer 50% to 60%. It might sound low, but it will be reciprocated when you go to sell the boat.

I guess just go for it, you know your own style and stick to that.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:08   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Acronyms and definitions to help you with your urge to buy a boat...

BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand.

Boat: a hole in the water into which money is thrown.

Boat Buck: one thousand dollars. You might as well speak in those terms after your purchase in order to make things simpler.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:13   #25

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Or boat buying math. You buy for X and put X dollars into it and after it is worth X dollars.

X + X = X

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:18   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Heh...good one. It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:38   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Nothing wrong with dreaming lofty dreams. MAXINGOUT has an interesting website on living your dreams. Welcome to Maxing Out About all the nay-sayers trying to piss on your dreams. Welcome to the form and just go for it but take one step at a time.

.....Oh....and about Brokers?...I have them right up there with used car salesman
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 15:06   #28

Re: Don't buy a yacht...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
In your price range, for what you want, boats are going to vary from totally unacceptable to marginal.
I disagree, it's all about size really. You can get a hell of a nice 35 footer for $80k.
OP- maybe you shouldnt have sought out a "yacht" broker in Thailand! You dont really want to buy there anyway do you?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 17:26   #29

Re: So We Want to Buy a Yacht ? Help !!!!

First of all, thank you to everyone who has replied to my thread so far, I appreciate them all, even the harsh ones!

However, we will not be discouraged by those who say that we are living in a fantasy land. We have been living our dream travelling around the world for two years.... Something that we "dreamt" about for 5 years before we finally quit our jobs, sold our house (and it's entire contents), sold our cars and got rid of all of our possessions except our camping gear and our scuba gear which we put into storage, and headed out into the world. People either said that we were nuts and wouldn't last, or they said that they would love to do that.

Yes, we know absolutely nothing about sailing....we have heaps to learn. However, we do have some experience of being at sea over the years....not sailing, and not working on a boat, but at least we know that we love being on the water. We have spent several weeks at a time at sea cruising and diving the Maldives, the Red Sea, The Galapagos, and we survived a force 10 crossing in the Drake Passage....twice, and that wasn't in a big cruise ship I may add...and I know we cannot compare being a paying holidaymaker on a yacht to sailing on your own but you get my point.

We have downloaded several books on the Internet, and have started to follow some sailing blogs. We walked around three marinas in Phuket so far, hoping to bump into some yacthies, but alas, only workmen who didn't speak any English. We've asked around where the yachtie places are but no luck yet.... But we will keep trying....how do you spot a yachtie anyway????!

Our plan is to work in India for a year (not saving one Indian at a time) because it's a darn good job and will allow us to save perhaps enough to go sailing for a year, whilst taking advantage of Air Asia's cheap flights to Thailand and use weekends and holidays learning to sail, buying a yacht and then sailing off wherever the wind takes us!

It's great to see such an active forum, please keep your replies coming, any advice is good advice, we will take it all on board.

thanks again, and happy sailing to you all
kevinbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 17:36   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: So We Want to Buy a Yacht ? Help !!!!

hi Keven...All the power to you. Here is a site of a couple that did the same thing as you did and with almost no experience. They too create quite a stir here...

bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht