Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2014, 04:24   #946

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Nicely summarised Hank, thanks.
Hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty of posting this on the "Earn money while cruising" thread.
Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 04:28   #947

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Thank you, Hank. Great summary!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 08:03   #948

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I've often wished that on long threads someone would do a summary. Great job Hank
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 08:37   #949

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
+1! Great summary
Old 26-05-2014, 12:53   #950

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback. Had no idea we'd get so much traffic.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 16:47   #951

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

As an example, I used a speculative system that depended on the market not declining more than 25% in 9 months. A reasonable bet, except that the market that year fell 50% in about 6 months, and I was wiped out just before the market rebounded. This is just as though I had put a million dollars into my roulette system, then the wheel hit "black" on the very next spin after I lost all my cash.

This part of your "investing", if it was during the year I am guessing means you were simply not paying attention. Or paying attention to the wrong persons.
Old 26-05-2014, 16:56   #952

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post

I liked the thread better when there were cruising sailors thinking about how to make a few bucks to keep cruising, than now, when it seems like mostly fairly affluent business men hoping some day to strike it rich enough to buy a boat.
I think it is OK both ways.

Most of the beginning of the thread was a bunch of folks thinking they could go off cruising and charter or dive or sail repair or whatever and then found out the reality of those with experience reminding them that most of it is illegal.

Few, but bless them, have any way of actually making money while cruising.

My experience cruising (not much till the last two months of it) is that it is about spending money (or not if at all possible).
Old 26-05-2014, 18:03   #953

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Most of the beginning of the thread was a bunch of folks thinking they could go off cruising and charter or dive or sail repair or whatever and then found out the reality of those with experience reminding them that most of it is illegal.

My experience cruising (not much till the last two months of it) is that it is about spending money (or not if at all possible).
Also, we've neglected to mention the possibility of cruising in your own country - though something of a buzzkill, there is no barrier to doing work of any kind in your own country.

You know what would be cool? A work exchange visa. A person in the US trades his authorization to work with a person in the Eurozone (for example). No approvals, limits, or caps needed, just submit an application and pay a fee.

I guess the problem is that everyone wants to be in the same place at the same time, and almost none of them are actually from that place.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 10:07   #954

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

Also, we've neglected to mention the possibility of cruising in your own country - though something of a buzzkill, there is no barrier to doing work of any kind in your own country.

You know what would be cool? A work exchange visa. A person in the US trades his authorization to work with a person in the Eurozone (for example). No approvals, limits, or caps needed, just submit an application and pay a fee.

I guess the problem is that everyone wants to be in the same place at the same time, and almost none of them are actually from that place.
Actually, I think that's a genius idea. Zero sum. One for one exchange. Not likely to happen, but a fun idea
Old 28-05-2014, 22:03   #955

Boat: CT-41

Quote:

Therapy,
Curious to know - how much cruising have you done out of the US? ... and how much experience have you had working in other countries?

A whole lot of the ways people make money here in the US is also illegal, including everything from the illegal immigrants who our agricultural industry depends on, to some of the highest ranking people who run banks and stock market trading scams that very few cruising sailors can participate in.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:18   #956

Quote:
Therapy,
Curious to know - how much cruising have you done out of the US? ... and how much experience have you had working in other countries?

A whole lot of the ways people make money here in the US is also illegal, including everything from the illegal immigrants who our agricultural industry depends on, to some of the highest ranking people who run banks and stock market trading scams that very few cruising sailors can participate in.
Are the high ranking people who run banks working illegally, as in not citizens or having green cards, or are they breaking the law in other ways? I can see a big difference as far as context to the thread. Our agriculture system I am aware of.

Cruising outside the country? Only two months. Travel outside? Much more.

I have personal acquaintances with some working as contract nurses but they all have proper paperwork.

I have no personal experience paying or being paid for labor, legal or not, outside the US.

Is that OK? How about you?
Old 30-05-2014, 21:30   #957

[QUOTE=
I have no personal experience paying or being paid for labor, legal or not, outside the US.

Is that OK? How about you?[/QUOTE]

I have experience working abroad in quite a few countries.... some legally documented, others established through local custom that I have no idea how it works. After 8 years working my way around the world, I found that if local people like what you have to offer, they will figure out how to make it work. They key is to have something the local people find of value.

Every country has their own "system". Assuming that the way things are done in the US is the way they are done everywhere is incorrect.
Old 31-05-2014, 14:23   #958

Quote:
I have experience working abroad in quite a few countries.... some legally documented, others established through local custom that I have no idea how it works. After 8 years working my way around the world, I found that if local people like what you have to offer, they will figure out how to make it work. They key is to have something the local people find of value.

Every country has their own "system". Assuming that the way things are done in the US is the way they are done everywhere is incorrect.
That I have learned from CF over time. And more.

Learning each "system" can be tricky eh?
Old 31-05-2014, 15:43   #959

Quote:
That I have learned from CF over time. And more.

Learning each "system" can be tricky eh?

You can't learn every system.
Just cultivate an attitude of helpfulness, and those who need your help will get you through their system, that they know well.

Biggest problem to working abroad is that people tend to focus on what they want and how to get it out of somebody else, instead of focusing on what they can give, share, or teach.

Always found it easier to find work in other countries that it is to find work now in the US. Never had any problem with legalities. You just deal with it exactly like we do at home. If there is something you don't know or understand about another system, you just ask someone who knows, and ideally, can help you through the matter
Old 31-05-2014, 17:20   #960

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I understand this from recent experience and have seen it growing in the US. Focus on helping someone instead of getting something from them.
Also, even when working in the US, I assume an attitude of cooperation rather than competition and have seen improvements in my business.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle